PDA

View Full Version : cover question

tnbrooks01
03-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Looking for opinions if people tow with the cover on the boat or not. I have heard both yes and no and Im aware the manaul says not to just curious.

Thanks

Mikey
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Depends on the type of cover you have. I have the snap on cover/s factory ordered and tow with it on all the time.

gonracn
03-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Purchased an Evolution cover last summer when we bought our Moomba and the plan is tow with it on when we have to, but I would tow with it all the time. My opinion it is the best cover out there. It is pricey, but well worth it.

Ian Brantford
03-02-2011, 11:31 PM
If the cover isn't specifically designed for use when towing (snaps all around, taut, specifically advertised for towing), it's not.

I had to have a detailer very carefully remove black marks that dug into the gelcoat from the straps after mine was delivered with the cover on. The scuffs from the cinched edges o the cover were not a big deal to buff out.

I have only towed it once since, and that was when I had a very low-speed tow from the detailer to storage and didn't want the light rain and road dust to undo the detailing to the interior. We taped temporary pads to the straps.

rdlangston13
03-03-2011, 04:01 AM
If the cover isn't specifically designed for use when towing (snaps all around, taut, specifically advertised for towing), it's not.

I had to have a detailer very carefully remove black marks that dug into the gelcoat from the straps after mine was delivered with the cover on. The scuffs from the cinched edges o the cover were not a big deal to buff out.

I have only towed it once since, and that was when I had a very low-speed tow from the detailer to storage and didn't want the light rain and road dust to undo the detailing to the interior. We taped temporary pads to the straps.

if you twist those straps tightly they will not vibrate

moombadaze
03-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Have a Evolution's cover, bought is specifically to tow with-no issues so far, but i dont tow long distance very often, might have about 2000 miles of tow use so far

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I have the two snap covers. I have never towed with these as they are not designed for it. But there was a long discussion about this last year. Lots of folks admitted they tow with these covers all the time and have no issues. I guess you can risk it and keep an eye on it or just do what Daze did and get a towing cover if you tow a lot.

dusty2221
03-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I tow with my snap cover and never had an issue. I think they key is making sure the cover is nice and taut with the support poles underneath so it can not get air and whip and pull the snaps out. Without the poles, I could see how some damage would occur.

ian ashton
03-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Depends on the type of cover you have. I have the snap on cover/s factory ordered and tow with it on all the time.

Same here, never had a problem with it.

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Do you guys have the two piece one or a full snap cover?

brain_rinse
03-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I towed quite a few miles with my factory 2 piece snap covers and had no issue with the covers themselves. I just got tired of having to buff out all the scratches in the gelcoat whenever the towing conditions were dusty or wet. The places the cover touched the boat would abrade away all the shine and even left some pretty deep scratches that required wet sanding.

Razzman
03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
if you twist those straps tightly they will not vibrate

Old wives tale, they will vibrate, just not flap. I towed mine once with the factory cover to Tower Biminis for the bimini fitting. Cinched the cover tight and twisted the straps tight and secure. I could see them vibrating like mad dogs in the wind. When i got there and removed the cover I had strap scuffs all the way around. Many hours it took to buff all that crap out.

ian ashton
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Do you guys have the two piece one or a full snap cover?

I have a 2 piece.

Razzman
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't even worry about it. I have never towed the boat (or any) to the lake with a cover on and have never had a bunch of crap in the boat or much dirt. Quick re-wipe and it's ready to go. Although once I did get some tar bits from a re-asphalt job in there but even those picked right up.

I never worry about rain either, it's a boat. If it's raining that bad you probably shouldn't be going out anyway :cool:

skiyaker
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I used to tow with the factory "moomba logo" cover on- i used pool noodles wrapped around the straps to prevent scuffing of the gel coat. It worked well but was a PITA to do. Bought an evolution cover last year and have been pleased with it.

Razzman
03-03-2011, 02:30 PM
i used pool noodles wrapped around the straps

What color were those bad boys? :p

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't even worry about it. I have never towed the boat (or any) to the lake with a cover on and have never had a bunch of crap in the boat or much dirt. Quick re-wipe and it's ready to go. Although once I did get some tar bits from a re-asphalt job in there but even those picked right up.

I never worry about rain either, it's a boat. If it's raining that bad you probably shouldn't be going out anyway :cool:

Not everybody that tows is going directly to the water. If you're heading for a week long trip that's any distance away you might encounter dust, pollen, rain, etc. It's nice to get to your destination with a clean boat-- on the inside anyway. I have never towed with a cover on either but several times would have liked to not have to clean the boat I already cleaned before I left.

Razzman
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Not everybody that tows is going directly to the water. If you're heading for a week long trip that's any distance away you might encounter dust, pollen, rain, etc. It's nice to get to your destination with a clean boat-- on the inside anyway. I have never towed with a cover on either but several times would have liked to not have to clean the boat I already cleaned before I left.

Good point, I don't cover on those week long trips to Shasta either which are 5 hours on the freeway up the dusty Cali Central Valley, and it is a dust bowl at times. To me it's just not worth the hassle, it's far easier for me to cleanup there afterwards. Besides that's what i have grandsons for! :p

moombadaze
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM

this was my reason for purchasing-have a white interior and jsut didnt want to be cleaning when I got to the lake after towing all day

Sea N' Things
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Do yourself a fovour and buy an Evolution Cover, it is good quality. Consider the initial investemnet of the boat purchase and for 8-900.00 you can protect it with no worries.

skiyaker
03-03-2011, 07:31 PM
What color were those bad boys? :p

why thanks for asking- it was quite the system and generally I would use purple or orange noodles, cut them down the center then wrap them around the straps. After I lost half dozen of them along the road I would take an adidas wrist band and wrap it around the noodle to keep it in place.

tnbrooks01
03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Thank you all for the insight. I am making the trek this weekend to pickup our new momba and was concerned with making the drive back with or without the cover on. Based on the input from you all I will probably tow it with out the cover.

Thanks again

Todd

rdlangston13
03-03-2011, 11:13 PM
i never tow with the cover on

davidl
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Rankin......Enough said!

Razzman
03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Rankin......Enough said!

Out of business for quite awhile now.

moombadaze
03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Corry, from Evolution covers used to work at Rankins I believe.

Keep a eye on the interior cusions--some could actually fly out at high speeds.

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
dealer delivered my boat to me 5 hours away from my place with factory 2 piece snap cover and used it rest of that summer. my lake is only 15 miles from my house and after first summer had numerous scuff marks and bout 4 snaps became loose and the screws are stripped out so i joined a group buy for the evolution cover. might be enough new owners now to start another group buy i think we saved 150 bucks or so and its well worth the money. took a lake trip to cumberland about 7 hours through a heavy downpour for 3 hours of the trip and bout was bone dry. no more scuff marks in gel coat. if you ask me this is the best cover out there its well worth the money if you looking to keep boat clean and dry. i also leave the lake right at dark and going the river roads to my house bugs are a huge issue if you don't cover rather have bugs on the cover then all over the seats and floor.

rdlangston13
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Corry, from Evolution covers used to work at Rankins I believe.

Keep a eye on the interior cusions--some could actually fly out at high speeds.

this happened to my cooler cushion. has some rips in the corner because of it.

have not been able to bring myself to spent 250 bucks for a new one yet tho