PDA

View Full Version : confused ski or wakeboard boat

jsail
01-10-2005, 03:34 AM
we want to buy a new boat for skiing and possibly wakeboarding. What is the difference between hooking to the pylon or the tower? I thought hooking a skier to the tower would help get them up out of the water better, ie 40 year old mom that has no upper body strength.? Also I was reading the forum and alot of people said you nose dive when turning sharp in the outback? One more thing, sorry, We had a 2003 bayliner 19' and this never happened with the nose dive swamp thing. we sold bayliner, junkday that boat was!

noneya
01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Dont know about skiiing off it, but the tower is generally used for wakeboarding or other sports where you are jumping the woake. It gives you a little more hangtime and makes it easier to do tricks.

The swamping issue isnt as bad as it used to be, you will find it on all boats, just that some have the nose higher out of the water than others. The best way to prevent this is that when you have a boarder fall, cut the throttle, let the boat come to a rest, then turn to pick up your rider. It sounds like a pain, but you can actually pick up your rider quicker that if you power turn around to get them, mainly because once you get there the water is still smooth instead of you waking yourelf out. There is also the added benefit of not sending rollers all over the lake.

Bushwacker
01-19-2005, 02:16 PM
You don't want to ski off of the tower, it's not what it's designed for not to mention its just not cool. Skiing off the tower will not help a skier get out of the water any easier either. The tower is simply for helping a wakeboarder jump higher without getting pulled back down to the water, that's all. I have used it for pulling people on tubes and it works quite well for getting additional air under the tube. If you need to pull someone out that doesn't have strength buy some of the new style wide combo skis to help out.

I have a 2004 Mobius LS. I picked this boat because it has a pretty good slalom ski wake and a desent wakeboard wake with the wakeplate up and the front and rear bags full. I highly recommend the hydraulic wake plate, it not only works great for adjusting the wake it also helps you smooth out the boat in choppy water when pleasure cruising. Without the plate these boats tend to porpose a little at higher speeds.

Also, these boats are in a different world compared to your last boat. The "getting out of the water" torq could rip your arms out if the boat is given too much gas. I'm never noticed my boat diving the nose ever and I drive it pretty hard. I'm can't speak for the outback. Anyway, I feel the Mobius LS is a great dual sport boat with plenty of room for people and great handling. Not good for all day cruising though since they suck gas like it's going out of style but they were designed for towing and that's what they are good at.