PDA

View Full Version : Skiers Choice Factory Tour

deerfield
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I will be in Knoxville TN the afternoon of Wednesday, March 30, and morning of Thursday, March 31. If you are interested in joining me for a tour of the Skiers Choice factory in nearby Maryville, please speak up and I'll see what I can do to coordinate a group tour. Mrs. D, our youngest son, and I will be returning home to the Chicago area from a trip to the University of Alabama, and decided to add this side trip. We will be staying overnight at the Four Points by Sheraton in Knoxville. I am suppose to contact the factory again closer to that week so it can confirm who on staff will be around and might be able to accommodate a tour. So, if interested please let me know and I'll keep everyone updated on details. Thanks.

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
That's very cool! I know we can expect lots of great pics.

JesseC
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
When you are touring the campus, be sure to have dinner at Cypress Inn. This restaurant has some of the best Catfish in the south! This is a nice restaurant but you can go in wearing jeans and polo shirts. I would not suggest T-shirts. They have a sister restaurant that is called 15th Street Diner which is almost the same food, but you can go in in your T-shirts and sweat pants! There are always college kids in there studying in their "Comfy" clothes.

Cypress Inn
501 Rice Mine Road North
Tuscaloosa, AL 35406

15th Street Diner
1036 15th Street
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401-3352

deerfield
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Jesse - Really appreciate the two recommendations and hope to dine at both. We will be on campus Monday afternoon through Wednesday morning, staying at Hotel Capstone. Then we head to Knoxville to find the house where my Mom grew up and tour the Skiers Choice factory. Thanks! - Stuart

sandm
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
pics or you are officially banned from the board :)

wolfeman131
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I'll try and make it up. Thanks for the invite!

NCSUmoomba
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
You will really enjoy that tour. We did it last year and it was really neat.

bashton
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Ian and I toured the facilities right before our boat went into production a couple years ago. We were surprised to see the Supra's are built side by side by the same people on the same lines...and most importantly, to the same standards.

Bashton

wolfeman131
03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I'll try and make it up. Thanks for the invite!

Ah phooey! Have to count me out. Got called away on a business trip, then heading off to Spring Break on Fri. Sorry to miss out on this & meeting you.

iwakeboard
03-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Feel free to stop by XTP if you decide to tour Skiers Choice, we're next door, same for Boatmate

deerfield
03-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Okay, campers. This trip is coming together. The factory tour will close out our (Mrs. D, son, and me) trip to the south and be Thursday morning the 31st. Spoke today with Reed in Customer Service. Hope to see forum member boats under construction. If time permits, we will make a tour of the XTP and Boatmate factories. Prior to arriving in Maryville, we will be spending three days in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Looking forward to lunch or dinner at the Cypress Inn. Will take pics of the trip and post on my Moomba profile page. - Deerfield

deerfield
04-01-2011, 04:36 PM
As promised, pics from tour of the Skiers Choice factory.

The guide was Callie Hardwick. She walked me through the end-to-end process of building a boat and capped of the tour with a bag of goodies that Dan Miller (Marketing Director) had pulled together.

BAshton, as first confirmed by you, I was pleased to witness that the hull and deck build process is identical for both product lines. The distinction between the two and more expensive price tag on the Supra line comes from features that take place later in the build process.

When asked if she had a personal choice, Callie said the Outback V. Just the perfect size for her.

In her office is a U.S. map dotted with pins marking locations of its U.S. dealer network. I shared frustration that some owners have expressed about dealer coverage in certain parts of the country. She acknowledged the difficulty in particular with the west coast situation. We talked about the economy. Learned that from a high of 320 employees in 2007, the company today is running lean but strong with around 130 employees.

Ed, I forgot to look in the reception area for the surf board that is mentioned in your post and apologize. I was in that area for about ten minutes and do not remember seeing a surf board. Also, did not have a chance to meet or say hello to Brian Raymond.

Prior to the Skiers Choice stop in Tennessee, we spent three days at the University of Alabama. My youngest son is finishing his senior year of high school and will be attending Alabama this fall. To say that he is looking forward to Alabama would be an understatement. He applied to five schools and talking with him about the other four is a waste of time. He loves the SEC. For him, August cannot get here fast enough.

Jesse C, the catfish at Cypress Inn was excellent. The chef gave it a gentle blackened flavor. My wife had the fried catfish. We had a nice table by the glass overlooking the water. Just a great restaurant. Look forward to going back for more good food. Really appreciate the suggestion. You were spot on!

I was disappointed not to have left time for a tour of the XTP and Boatmate plants, which are virtually next door to Skier Choice. My fault for taking my sweet time on the Skiers Choice tour. Pretty interesting to see how stuff is made.

deerfield
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
more pics....

deerfield
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
more pics.....

deerfield
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
more pics....

deerfield
04-01-2011, 05:06 PM
more pics....

deerfield
04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
and.......Roll Tide!

harmsway
04-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Some sweet boats in the pics and a hole lot of happy customers on the horizon. Looks like you all had a blast!

JesseC
04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Jesse C, the catfish at Cypress Inn was excellent. The chef gave it a gentle blackened flavor. My wife had the fried catfish. We had a nice table by the glass overlooking the water. Just a great restaurant. Look forward to going back for more good food. Really appreciate the suggestion. You were spot on!

No problem. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out! I am about 45 minutes to an hour away from the campus and would be willing to help out if needed!!

MNKid
04-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for posting the pic's.

Gettting the itch bad, every little bit helps....last year it was 81 degrees here yesterday, this year there are winter storm warnings up north. :rolleyes:

sandm
04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
nice pics.. would have been fun..

funny you mention the lack of coverage. I would bet if you look at tige's coverage(made in texas) that you would see the same spotty west coast coverage, but if you looked at, say supreme, you would see a spotty east coast since they are made out here.

wolfeman131
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I didn't even know this decal design was an option. I don't think it's shown on the website or in the 2011 catalog that I have. I like it!

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/DSC_0080.jpg

zabooda
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
I noticed the LA area void of a dealer but I was surprised the St. Louis/Southern Illinois area having a void. Out west it looks like the major cities are covered. That's why we don't have to travel very far to get away from people.

brain_rinse
04-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Great pics! Looks like a good trip, thanks for sharing.

moombadaze
04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
bet that was a blast, loved the map photo, thanks for sharing

wolfeman131
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Dang! Sorry I missed out on this trip! I too, would've been there for hours just watching how things are done.

newty
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Great post and pics! I too love that stripe combo on the LSV!

viking
04-07-2011, 12:09 AM
I love my boat..................but I think I want a new one :cool:

pickle311
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that your son actually wants to be a life long corn dog eating gump.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

deerfield
04-12-2011, 11:55 PM
pickle - .....life long corn eating gump? My son read your post. Said something not nice. Involved money, NCAA rules, and you livin' in a trailer. I have no idea what he's talking about. Best regards - Deerfield RTR

pickle311
04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Involved money, NCAA rules,

haha, people make accusations all the time, just like the one he's referring to. Funny thing is, this one came from an Aggie coach who we just laid the pipe to in a bowl game. Nothing will come of it, heck the NCAA didn't even do anything to Scam Newton.
Tell him to enjoy his time in gumpville and not to get too upset when we beat them again this year. Oh, I've heard polydent is what they use out there to keep their teeth from falling out. May want to invest in some for him.

I love college football and talking trash, don't take anything I say seriously other than when I say I hate Nick Satan with a passion.

deerfield
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I love college football and talking trash

All in good fun. Better get ready for four years of it from me. Especially when Bama makes your boys look bad. Like, every time they meet. RTR

jamie_abb
04-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Too cool, thanks Deerfield

E4NASH
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
All in good fun. Better get ready for four years of it from me. Especially when Bama makes your boys look bad. Like, every time they meet. RTR

Enough said!