PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Moomba V Drive

Runnnin
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm looking for a well kept Moomba V Drive under $31,000.

I'm located in Central Indiana and it would be great to locate as close to home as possible. I do travel for work throught the eastern half of the US and could expand my viewing based upon this.

Prepared for a quick purchase if any might be looking to get a new boat...

Thanks,

Kirk Price
[email protected]

bzubke1
02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Check onlyinboards.com and boattrader.com

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm getting close.

I can't seem to find much insight into the Outback VSK. What distinguishes this model from an Outback V?

Thanks!

jmvotto
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
never heard of a outback VSK, must be a typo....

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of the Outback VSK. Anybody? You can look at the top of this page where it says "About Moomba" and then click on "Archive" and view all the models for the past 10 years or so by year, including specs and photos. Good luck!

Edit: Hover your mouse pointer over "About Moomba", then click on "Archive".

Edit again: I think I remember seeing "SK" listed on the Kelly Bluebook or NADA site.

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
never heard of a Outback VSK

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I thought this was likely a typo or miscommunication in the add.

However, my insurance agent showed a V and VSK in his system...maybe it represents a grouping of options...

I'll search the archive.

Thanks!

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Amazing what a search can turn up:

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Moomba-Outback-Vsk/117111471

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
What do you think a guy should give on this boat?

It is super clean...

jmvotto
03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
That 07 has an aftermarket tower and the 08 graphics.

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
No tower speaker setup and I'm not sure what bimini that is. It also has cruise, not perfect pass. All of these things affect value but with a used boat you go by hours and condition. Make a fair offer and walk away if you can't buy it where you want it. Remember that you have to have it shipped or go get it (may need new trailer tires for the trip home). Every factor affects value to you.

jmvotto
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
What do you think a guy should give on this boat?

It is super clean...

is the boat in TX the one you are looking at....? the one kane posted above?

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, that's the one.

The "lot" buys boats in Elkhart, Indiana so this fact offers a big positive in regards to shipping. The boat could be thrown on the returning truck.

I'd have to fly down next week to see it so that's not ideal but I'm willing. They will test drive it with me and obviuosly that's a good idea.

Thanks for the insight on the tower and graphics...with all your seeing is this boat worth a $29,500 purchase price? If I commit to flying in, and it's really clean, I'd be predisposed to pulling the trigger. If the boat is more in the $27,000 range I'd be best to make that offer on the phone...

Thanks for sharing your collective expertise!

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I should add no cover!

Checked out the Evolution covers mentioned by many members. With the aftermarket tower would this make matching the cover up difficult?

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I wonder why it has the different graphics and aftermarket tower? I sure hope this wasn't one that went over the dam or something. What's the history?

I would be darn careful about any boat from TX knowing this history:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11591&highlight=flood

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I really don't know the history...I'll see what I can find out.

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I would want to speak to the previous owner before I made a trip to see the boat. If they scream, you can probably guess why.

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Back in 07 the tower was a option for the Outback V, (I have personally seen a LSV with no factory tower) wonder if the boat was just bought without and then the owner installed that one-kind of a cool bimini as you could maybe store some items uptop, as for graphics could just have been a simple updateing. Clean looking boat.

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I totally agree. I just would want to know before I bought a plane ticket.

Runnnin
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
The "lot" said the boat was a trade in so I'll see if he is willing to provide me with the previous owner. If he won't...I may rethink puruing.

If all pans out do you think it's worth the price?

Are covers and matching them to the tower make crucial? I'd need to get a cover quickly.

Thanks!

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I just would want to know before I bought a plane ticket.

So would I

jmvotto
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
The "lot" said the boat was a trade in so I'll see if he is willing to provide me with the previous owner. If he won't...I may rethink puruing.

If all pans out do you think it's worth the price?

Are covers and matching them to the tower make crucial? I'd need to get a cover quickly.

Thanks!

You should be able to get a custom cover shop to make one on site to fit the existing tower pattern.

95 hours in TX after 4 years. Hmmmm.... mine has 140 hrs in NY after 3 years 08,09,10 we had a baby and horrible weather in 09.

i would try and get a carfax? doc ( boat equivalent) to be diligent, probably 27 to 28 seams better for pricing.

check this out for pricing an OBV 06

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12574&highlight=2006

rdlangston13
03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
95 hours after 4 years doesnt seem very off to me. my buddy who lives on a lake in mississippi ony have 250+ hrs on this 2004 maristar

jmvotto
03-01-2011, 09:21 PM
That's like 2.5 hrs a week for 10 weeks per summer. That is pretty low IMHO.
Texas summers are much longer than 10 weeks

kaneboats
03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Not everybody is able to make it out every weekend. People get hurt, kids make traveling baseball teams, work gets busy, etc. You see plenty of boats 4 years old for sale with 100 hours on them.

jmvotto
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Not everybody is able to make it out every weekend. People get hurt, kids make traveling baseball teams, work gets busy, etc. You see plenty of boats 4 years old for sale with 100 hours on them.

Yep i just saw the variety of hours thread. My bad.....

skiyaker
03-03-2011, 09:02 PM

also depends on the original sale date of the boat. mine is a 2008 but I bought it in late 2009 so really it has 150 hrs in 1.5 seasons- that boat could have been a hold over but I'd do some research on it. The seller should understand that especially since you would be traveling. Speaking of far away what part of indiana are you in? Another option would be to chat with the guys at aqua marine of Anderson. If nothing else I bet you could get them to go over the boat upon arrival. My neighbor bought a supra from California and they've been great at helping him out with it.

Runnnin
03-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the advise all. I'm located in Noblesville so I've spoken with the guys at Aquamarine. They seem very straightforward and helpful.

With all the considerations mentioned and the seller unwilling to budge started feeling I should remain patient and pass on the Texas boat.

I've started to move off my self imposed $30,000 budget and this fact opens things up a bit! I'll go see a couple boats at Aquamarine tomorrow and move past the left over 2010 lsv as fast as I can on to the used boats...

Runnnin
03-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Grew up in Muncie by the way skiyaker.

kaneboats
03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
For the heck of it, answer some questions for us. Do you mostly ski, wakeboard, surf or tube? How big is the family or how many typically go out with you? Will you garage and tow or have a lift? Sometimes guys aren't focused on the right model and these discussions can help them think of the things that really matter.

Runnnin
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
For the heck of it, answer some questions for us. Do you mostly ski, wakeboard, surf or tube? How big is the family or how many typically go out with you? Will you garage and tow or have a lift? Sometimes guys aren't focused on the right model and these discussions can help them think of the things that really matter.

Surf first and foremost...I have two teenage boys but we average 6 people when we go out. We live on a lake so the boat would stay on a lift.

Hope that helps!

moombadaze
03-04-2011, 11:54 AM
you might be able to work sales for that left over LSV against the used boats and end up with a new one as Im sure they would like to sell it

skiyaker
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
good luck with your search- boat fever can be kind of nasty- I think I tried to pull the trigger on 4 boats before I found mine. And I think my budget gradually increased each time.

Runnnin
03-05-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm sure glad the 2010 lsv did not have a color scheme I liked...got a 2008 lsv so really exited!

I was ready to start researching accessories rather than boats...thanks for all the direction from those that had been there and done that!

dru1974
03-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Congrats I know you'll be so happy now break out another thousand.....lol

jmvotto
03-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Congrats, since you surf and board a lot, very good choice. Lots of help here on the boards to upgrade and modify. Post up some pics when you can.

skiyaker
03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
awesome- did you get that 2008 with 85 hours that's on their site? that looks like an awesome boat.

kaneboats
03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I am very happy for you. You will be much happier with the newer (2006 and later) LSV hull for surfing. With just a 750 (Ed G has some for sale) and the stock 400 up front your 2008 will produce this wave:

moombadaze
03-05-2011, 01:32 PM
The drivers seat is lots nicer on the 08 too. Congrats and enjoy.

Runnnin
03-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I did get the one on the Aqua Marine site. It was really clean and that was important to me...

The wake in that picture was awesome! I really can't wait. My "basket" on the Overton's site sit's at $450 and I don't even have a board, anchor, or bigger fat sac. Oh well!

I'll try to post my surf, board, upgrade questions in the sections!

Thanks again all.

skiyaker
03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I did get the one on the Aqua Marine site. It was really clean and that was important to me...

congrats- you got it from a great dealer and there's something to be said for that. they've taken great care of me and my neighbor. The inboard mechanic there Don really knows his stuff.

smokedog2
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM
At HW 75 and 123 in Ohio there is a big RV and boat repo lot. I see an inboard now and then on my way to work, the risk is that they spent a little time under the water.

Also, try George at Lakota water sports - Ohio. He is probably cheaper than a plane ticket to Texas and can find you a used boat. I know several people he has done that for with cars. He will work a better deal than you can for yourself. I know people that pay him to go get them the car they want. Your typical kid at a car dealer knows nothing but a computer screen.

I have not talked with him since winterizing my boat but I believe he is still in operation. Full disclosure, I think he and SC have parted ways, he is no longer the local dealer if you search SC. My daughter goes to a private Montessori school. A pair of Montessori schools that have worked together for 20 years are in a hostile takeover with parents bitterly divided. The current business climate is hard on everyone's relationships. I still hold out hope that they all find a win win way forward. Regardless, like the schools, I recognize that even good people do not always continuously have the same interests. When those change, it is not necessarily someone's fault.

Good luck, you will love the boat. I'd sell you mine but really --- $50,000+ for a new boat? My wife would engage in a hostile killing.

My first lacrosse game of the year is today. I'll be feeling a little hostile myself in about an hour. I'll close this the same way I closed with my team e-mail last night.

Have fun,

Coach

Winning is fun

smokedog2
03-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Oh heck, all that you already bought one, nuts.

SD2