PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Moomba Outback Died While Running

SPJP
02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
When we took our boat out at the launch, it started fine... was idling rough but stayed running. Got out on the lake idling, doing ok. But when we tried to speed up a little, the boat died. It wouldn't crank, starter won't turn. Tried jumping the starter to crank, but it wouldn't do anything. Also tried tapping on the starter, but got nothing. The boat is getting gas. Electrical is completely dead. All the gauge positions stayed right were they were at (at running) and wouldn't reset even when boat was shut off. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thank you!

DOCDRS
02-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Not sure , but do you remove your speedo pick up lines off your mdc during winterization?

kaneboats
02-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Did you hit the master reset button on the back of the engine? Did you check the lanyard? Are you saying the engine won't turn over at all? Or are you saying it will turn over but just not start? Please clarify. We can probably help but you have to be very specific.

viking
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Does it have the Lanyard kill? Check that too!

NCSUmoomba
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
It might be a long shot, but mine died kind of like that once. It turns out, I had knocked one of the electrical leads off the back of the key switch, and it killed everything. My heart stopped for a minute until I found out what it was.

SPJP
03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Not sure , but do you remove your speedo pick up lines off your mdc during winterization?

No, never done that. The only thing I did was put antifreeze in the block and the manifolds and unhooked battery.

SPJP
03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Did you hit the master reset button on the back of the engine? Did you check the lanyard? Are you saying the engine won't turn over at all? Or are you saying it will turn over but just not start? Please clarify. We can probably help but you have to be very specific.

I tried to hit the master reset button on the back of the engine, but it didn't do anything. What is the lanyard? The engine won't turn over AT ALL. Everything is dead. When it died, we were in the middle of the lake and had to paddle back into shore.

SPJP
03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Does it have the Lanyard kill? Check that too!

I don't know what the Lanyard kill is. Please explain where that might be. On the motor?

SPJP
03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
It might be a long shot, but mine died kind of like that once. It turns out, I had knocked one of the electrical leads off the back of the key switch, and it killed everything. My heart stopped for a minute until I found out what it was.

Thanks, we will look into that. The boat has sit since we came in off the lake that night.

SPJP
03-05-2011, 08:33 PM
We have never had any major problems with this boat. Replaced the starter, had to have the packing replaced, and blew a head gasket once, but the head gasket is ok now. It has been an awesome boat. This is the first time anything like this has happened. Can't wait for Spring to break so we can get it back out on the lake again. Thank you all very much for any advice. We will check everything out you suggest.

rvette
03-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Not sure if your boat has this, but my 2006 has a circuit breaker mounted in the battery compartment, just off the battery. If it is tripped, nothing electrical will work.

harmsway
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
You may want to do the electrical connector wiggle test after testing the current at major connection points. When I was updating my stereo & adding driving lights I noticed when I moved the main wire connector under the dash the stereo would cut off & I would loose all power going to the dash. I unplugged & reconnected the harness and it seemed to resolve the problem, but there may be a loose connector in the harness. I will just have to keep an eye on it over the up coming season. You 1st need to see if you have 12v at the circuit breaker panel under the dash. Pretty simple test if you a volt meter or test light.

cham
03-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Mine will do this if the wires on the back of the ignition switch come loose.

Freaked me out the first time, pushed the wires back onto the contact and everything was good to go.

SPJP
03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
You may want to do the electrical connector wiggle test after testing the current at major connection points. When I was updating my stereo & adding driving lights I noticed when I moved the main wire connector under the dash the stereo would cut off & I would loose all power going to the dash. I unplugged & reconnected the harness and it seemed to resolve the problem, but there may be a loose connector in the harness. I will just have to keep an eye on it over the up coming season. You 1st need to see if you have 12v at the circuit breaker panel under the dash. Pretty simple test if you a volt meter or test light.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHTS WILL TRY TO CHECK HARNESS AND KEY SWITCH. ALWAYS WANTED A MOBIUS BECAUSE MY OLDEST SON LIKES TO KNEEBOARD. STILL SALOMON SKI MYSELF.

SPJP
03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Not sure if your boat has this, but my 2006 has a circuit breaker mounted in the battery compartment, just off the battery. If it is tripped, nothing electrical will work.

not sure will check thank you for your advise

SPJP
03-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Freaked me out the first time, pushed the wires back onto the contact and everything was good to go.

key switch has moved around tightined once this last summer will make sure wires are tight,thank you .

SPJP
03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

key switch has moved around tightined once this last summer will make sure wires are tight,thank you .

SPJP
04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Sorry it took us so long to reply. We are very thankful for all of the insight from everyone.

We put a new ignition switch in and boat is starting now, but can't get the gauges to reset from where they are at. Tried to unhook battery, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

BensonWdby
04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Check all the circuit breakers - on my 1999 Mobius they are under black nipples on lower left dash.
Else - probably your MDC controller (my guess). Pullyour spedo lines off the controller and if there is water in them then you probably have a controller problem.

danomite81
04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Did you get your problem fixed? I also did not unhook my speedo pick ups for winterization. does this pose a problem for me that i should check into

SPJP
04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Check all the circuit breakers - on my 1999 Mobius they are under black nipples on lower left dash.
Else - probably your MDC controller (my guess). Pullyour spedo lines off the controller and if there is water in them then you probably have a controller problem.

Ok. You know how you turn on your key and hear all the gauges resetting? We are not hearing anything. Thank you, we will check all the circuit breakers and let you know how it goes.