PDA

View Full Version : K&N Oil filter

wolfeman131
02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I had a heck of a time getting the oil filter off the remote mount last fall, so I'm switching to one of these for the next one.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/untitled-1.jpg

looks like our boats would use the HP-2002

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/maroilfilter.htm

maxpower220
02-24-2011, 11:53 PM
I recently (in the last year or so) read some independent reviews of oil filters. In case you don't know there is a vast difference in the filtration of the various filter. For years, I have used the Walmart Fram oil filter and I have never had any type of issue. After reading the review of filters, I have changed over to a "better" filter. "Better" in this instance is the highest filtration of particulate and build quality. K&N was rated in the top 3 or 4.

My point here is not to start a debate on what filter you should use or the one that I like best. If you do an internet search for "oil filter review independent", you should find the studies that I read.

IMO, as long as you change your oil and filter regularly (according to the owner's manual), you will likely never have an oil related problem with your engine (car/boat/motorcylce/etc).

VA LSV
02-25-2011, 08:31 AM
I tried the HP-2002 for the same reason and discovered it is larger in diameter and a tight fit against the remote filter mount. When it was time for an oil change I had more trouble removing it than a standard filter. If the remote filter mount was turned around, it would make filter change much easier.

sandm
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I use those on my bike due to the nut on the end welded into the can. makes it much easier to remove in the tight quarters of a bike.
for the boat/truck, I usually use fram. I do like the orange ones with the grip at the bottom. makes them a little easier to grip and remove.

brain_rinse
02-25-2011, 10:52 AM
I like Wix filters myself. I've heard K&N filters are pretty good though.

wolfeman131
02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I tried the HP-2002 for the same reason and discovered it is larger in diameter and a tight fit against the remote filter mount. When it was time for an oil change I had more trouble removing it than a standard filter. If the remote filter mount was turned around, it would make filter change much easier.

DANG! I was willing to spend the extra $$ for the reasons that sandm and maxpower posted (welded nut/easy to remove and ranked pretty good for filtration) but I'm glad you let me know your experience. Guess I'll keep looking and/or using the FRAM Toughguard.

rdlangston13
02-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I plan on using Mobil 1 oil and a Mobile 1 oil filter on my boat this spring. Any one have an idea what the model # would be for mobil 1 filters?

sailing217
02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
my first dealer put in Amsoil and matching amsoil filter, my 2nd dealer said to use only manufacturer filters till out of warranty as sometimes the engine company can get pissy if warranty work is needed.

Once out of warranty we also like Wix. K/N is good too IMO. I don't like the cheap fram stuff.

jester
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I plan on using Mobil 1 oil and a Mobile 1 oil filter on my boat this spring. Any one have an idea what the model # would be for mobil 1 filters?

I use a Mobil 1 for my OBV and for some reason have the box sitting on my desk. That makes for a quick lookup. Oil Filter is a M1-111.

Razzman
02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Purolator Gold rated very high as well and what i'm trying now. They come with a special non-slip coating on the entire filter to make it easy to remove.

rdlangston13
02-28-2011, 06:24 PM
thanks jester! exactly what i was looking for!

Suprahunter
03-01-2011, 12:53 AM
The K&M and the Mobil 1 are the same filter except for the nut on the back both are excellent filters. If you are going to use Mobil 1 oil go with the 15w50. Standard Fram filters are the worst you can use the gold line are better. Wix are OK too.

you da man
03-01-2011, 02:33 AM
my first dealer put in Amsoil and matching amsoil filter, my 2nd dealer said to use only manufacturer filters till out of warranty as sometimes the engine company can get pissy if warranty work is needed.

Once out of warranty we also like Wix. K/N is good too IMO. I don't like the cheap fram stuff.

I'm also an Amsoil fan when it comes to their oils and filters. My Dodge diesel, my sportbike, and even my built up race bike motors all used Amsoil products. Haven't looked into their marine applications but I know their filters did filter out more microns of particles than most of the popular brands. It's been a couple years since I've done any research though. But as mentioned, as long as you change your oil/filter regularly, I think you're good to go.

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Drew, as long as you oiled the filter gasket you should not have the issues you did last year getting it off.

mmandley
03-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Also make sure you only hand tighten the filters, some people use the filter wrench to tighten it and this just isn't required. The flow of the oil threw the filter is actually designed to help keep it tight and this is whey they say Hand Tighten Only.

kaneboats
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Hand tighten and NEVER more than 1/4 turn if you must put a wrench on it. (I don't) Once that seal crushes in a little she ain't coming off.

Razzman
03-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Fwiw the proper way is to fill the filter with oil, apply a very light coat of clean oil to the seal, screw it on and bottom the filter out, then another 1/4 turn by hand only! Using a wrench will only increase the chance you can't get it off as well as risk causing the seal to fail.

Years ago when i was a mechanic I trained an apprentice in the above method. For some reason he didn't listen or pay attention. He did a lube and oil on a '68 GTO and after filling, started the car, lifting it up on the hoist (as was procedure) to check for leaks. As he was looking underneath the seal failed and spewed oil all over him, funniest thing I ever saw! After shutting it down and looking at it, the seal was squished out leaving a gap. He admitted using the wrench later, lesson learned.

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
^^^and allways check the old oil filter gasket to make sure its not stuck on the engine or remote oil filter holder for us V-drive folks. Nothing worse than double gaskets as it will hold for a little while and then will puke all the oil out.

rdlangston13
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
when i used to work at cadillac i once (though i am not proud of it) forgot to tighten the cartridge filter in a CTS. I filled it with brand new mobil 1 full synthetic and then turn it on, it is amazing how fast that thing will puke out 5 quarts all over the ground.

moombadaze
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
that double gasket I spoke of earlier--did that myself on my wifes prelude--not my best hour :mad:. I still think of it every time I change the oil and havent done it since

rdlangston13
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
thats the thing about screw ups that make a huge mess. they usually only happen once because you never forget that crap

maxpower220
03-01-2011, 07:44 PM
that double gasket I spoke of earlier--did that myself on my wifes prelude--not my best hour :mad:. I still think of it every time I change the oil and havent done it since

There are the DIYers that have done that and the ones that will do that.