View Full Version : Buying Question

02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey guys got a question. A dealer told me he would sell me a 2011 Moomba LSV for 45,000 and I could pay for the state tax when I got back to my State. How would I do this?

02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Don't you just pay the tax when you register / license it in that state.

02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
You may clearify where you live and where you are planning on buying from.

I purchased in AL and paid the dealer the agreed upon price. Returning to FL, I registered the boat and trailer for tags and hull numbers. At that time, I paid the taxes. It is pretty simple, and here you only need a bill of sales and a MSO (if new) or title (if used).

02-24-2011, 11:01 PM
I am currently in the process of buying an out of state boat. No tax charged by the dealer. However, in my situation the lender (BoA) is handling the tax, tag and title with my state. I am just having them deduct this amount from the loan so I will take additional funds to the dealership.

I was surprised they did this but was told since the dealership is not in my state thats how they do business to ensure all necessary fees are paid.

02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Don't you just pay the tax when you register / license it in that state.


(Above answer was too short so am repeating here. Yes.)

02-25-2011, 06:05 AM
depends on state.
bought a car in oregeon and live in idaho. oregon has no state tax, so none to collect so I had to pay in idaho when i registered.
bought last car in cali. cali will not let you take posession of any motorized vehicle within their state without paying cali state taxes. you then get a cert. that states you paid in cali and you don't owe in your state. if you have said motorized vehicle shipped out of cali by a licenses transport company, then no taxes need to be paid.
if you were to pick up your boat in cali, they would charge. have it delivered, no charge.

probably bet cali is the odd man out here, but the best place to ask is dmv, not interwebs.

02-25-2011, 11:44 PM
What if you guys move from one state to another, do you have to pay the new state tax when you license the boat ,or just prove it was previously licensed and not a new boat? so you don't have to pay double tax? Or does the boat have to be a certain age/year earlier?

02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Depends on the state. Some states like FL have an impact tax where you pay more the first time you register and then less for renewals.

02-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Most states require everything to be licensed in that state within a certain period of time. It's a biggee in this state as they bust people with Oregon tags when they reside in Washington. There is no sales tax in Oregon.

You normally don't pay sales tax again but this state will check to make sure you weren't a Washington resident at the time of the original purchase. Those would be fines and they account for a lot more than the sales tax lost.

02-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Wow- this sounds way more complicated then it is here (VA, MD, DE, PA). Here your boat needs to be registered where it is principally used - so it doesn't even matter where you live. If you live in VA but use it mostly in MD, then it needs to be registered in MD. If this changes, you are given 60 days to register it in the new area. Doesn't really matter where or when you bought the boat. You also only pay sales tax here the first time you register somewhere- once it is registered you don't have to pay sales tax again.

And how anyone can tell where it is principally used... yeah - they have no idea. Unless you live on the lake, or are out on it every day all year. Given that I trailer the boat, spend time here and there, time at my parents, time on vacation, I mean it's a huge gray area. Trailer is a different story though.

At least this is my understanding.....

02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the information everybody. Another question. If I buy it out of state, do I need to get my repairs, winterization, etc. done at a Moomba or Indmar dealer in order to keep my warranty up to date.

03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
certified mechanic needs to work on it. So just engine, could be any dealer with an indmar mechanic. gelcoat issue would need to be a SC dealer. Mind you some dealers have issues and don't service boats not bought from them. You may want to find other members in your area to discuss. I'll leave it at that since is specific to your area.

sales tax codes vary, but for us, the out-of-state title when transfered to your state when registering the boat is when sales tax is due. Used boats for us (ohio) are based on the sales price (yeh mine is only worth $1 - haha - JK, I paid a bunch in taxes). Each state is different. Call your local title office.