PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change and Impeller Change

FamilyMatters
02-24-2011, 07:15 PM
I got a quote of $270 to get the oil and impeller changed at the dealership. Is that reasonable?

moombadaze
02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
No. Anything else being done?

brain_rinse
02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I dunno, an impeller is $40, oil and filter is maybe another $40 depending on brands? So I guess it's just whether your time is worth the $200 in labor.

you da man
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I dunno, an impeller is $40, oil and filter is maybe another $40 depending on brands? So I guess it's just whether your time is worth the $200 in labor.

That's what I'm saying. Impeller is $34-$35 at my dealership and another $40-$50 for oil/filter...where's the rest going to?

maxpower220
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Do it yourself, save a lot of money, and know that it is done right with the oil/filter that you want. PepBoyz/AutoZone/Etc usually have a "special" for oil and filter for $24 or $32 (synthetic). SkiDim or local dealer with have the impeller for less than $40. It should take about and hour to do both. Drain oil through gravity and replace the impeller, then do the oil filter and refill the oil.

Parts plus 1 hour labor it what it "should" cost at the dealer.

DOCDRS
02-24-2011, 09:58 PM
That's what I'm saying. Impeller is $34-$35 at my dealership and another $40-$50 for oil/filter...where's the rest going to?

the rest is going to environmental disposal fees of oil, oil filter , and impeller. then owner has to pay Jimmy 15/hr, 10/hr if its Jimmy's apprentice. But it will only take Jimmy 1 hour to complete this task where as Johnny , cause he has only one front tooth left won't be able to to tear the plastic wrapper apart and will spend 55 minutes looking for the scissors because he forgot that he has a pocket knife in is pants, but it wasn't there because Jimmy told him to put it in the tool box so he doesn't accidentally cut anyones upholstery in their boat. So it will take Johnny all day to do the task so thats $80. Then there is overhead on the shop 20, new tools 20 (Johnny tends to lose/misplace in his pocketsand end up in his garage), cleaning supplies20 (Johnny spills the oil filter in the builge and onto some of the carpet in the boat), dealer owner aggravation (priceless) as to why he had to hire his sister inlaws boyfriends brother in the first place, the beer in the fridge 20 that all gets guzzled at the end of this taxing procedure by Johnny. which leaves a profit of about $40 for the dealer. At least he only had to write up the bill!!! Unless he gets his wife to do it ,then he's lucky to get a little slap and tickle.

Although this situation is highly probable, the characters in this dramatization are purely fictitious so not to incriminate the guilty ,innocent or purely unknowing.

FamilyMatters
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
So if I can get all that on Video, it would certainly be worth the $270! Is that what you're saying?

Can you just drain it into the hull like that? I thought you had to use one of those pumps.

Thanks for all the input!! Having that much fun with such a benign question.......

Priceless!!

Peace
Darren

Hoopskier
02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Can you just drain it into the hull like that? I thought you had to use one of those pumps.

From your signature, says you have a Outback (direct drive). There should be hose attached to the oil pan that you can stick out the hull via the bilge plug. The hose hangs up near the back of the engine with a cap on the end of it. No pump needed.

Are you mechnically inclined, do oil change on cars? pretty much the same thing.

badasshybrid
02-25-2011, 12:14 AM
From your signature, says you have a Outback (direct drive). There should be hose attached to the oil pan that you can stick out the hull via the bilge plug. The hose hangs up near the back of the engine with a cap on the end of it. No pump needed.

Are you mechnically inclined, do oil change on cars? pretty much the same thing.

X2

Should have the hose there to drain the oil. Both are very simple to do yourself and can save alot of $$.

badasshybrid
02-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Heres a couple threads to read that might help you.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10898

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7225&highlight=impeller

There was a real good thread on how to change the impeller but I couldnt find it. In the first thread you will see how I did mine.

kaneboats
02-25-2011, 11:24 AM
If you have an Outback do it yourself. Put a big catch pan under the drain hole in the center and drop the drain hose down through it. Remove the drain hose plug and let it drain. Come back in 24 hrs and it will be mostly empty. :) JK, but it does take a while. While it is draining is a good time to change the impeller and stuff.

Kidder
02-25-2011, 05:00 PM
If you have an Outback do it yourself. Put a big catch pan under the drain hole in the center and drop the drain hose down through it. Remove the drain hose plug and let it drain. Come back in 24 hrs and it will be mostly empty. :) JK, but it does take a while. While it is draining is a good time to change the impeller and stuff.

Can I assume this is the same method for a 08 Mobius LS (DD)?

kaneboats
02-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I can't say whether the drain line in that particular DD is long enough to go out the drain hole but I don't know why they would have changed it. Easy enough to check. Also, somebody once mentioned using a ziplock or at least a garbage bag or loaf of bread sleeve around the oil filter when you loosen it. Very smart-- saves a lot of mess. I put a catch pan under it and a bag around it.

DOCDRS
02-25-2011, 05:22 PM
If you are going to do your own oil change, I stongly suggest a $60-80 oil extractor on your quick drain tube.

1. It will pay for itself first oil change
2. It will take only 5-10 mins tops to remove the oil cleanly wether cold or warm
3. You can now do your own V drive and Transmission oil changes saving your self even more $

jmb
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I always start the boat with the fake-a-lake to warm the engine and then change it. I have been known to drain the oil as soon as I got home from a day at the lake. Engine already warm. Oil drains quick then out the hose. OUTBACK DD.

harmsway
02-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Can I assume this is the same method for a 08 Mobius LS (DD)?

Same on the 08 Mobius LS.
You do need a thin strap style oil filter wrench. The clearance between the filter & transmission will not allow for a cup style or thicker strap style filter wrench. The bag is a good idea.

rdlangston13
02-25-2011, 10:03 PM
how do yall release belt tension to change the impeller since there is not an automatic tensioner like on my truck

DOCDRS
02-25-2011, 11:03 PM
The impeller is not under any tension, you just remove the cover, shoot some lube on it and pull it out.

kaneboats
02-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I just did all this on the LSV. The impeller was changed for the first time at 65 hrs. It was stuck a bit. A little WD40 and bump the engine over a few times. Pry a little with two short flatblade screwdrivers. Came out in about 20 min. of screwing around. Used my manual pump to slurp out the v-drive, tranny and oil. Bagged the filter and unscrewed it. I probably was out there for about 2 hrs. total but was careful with the funnel while refilling everything and careful dumping the waste into the creek-- just kidding -- seeing if you were paying attention. :) Careful dumping the waste into my recycle containers. I would tell my sister she could do all this herself and you should see her nails.

sailing217
02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Your dealer is a bit high but not crazy crack smoking high...

At my dealer it's $200 for those services on a V-drive. One dealer wanted $150 for just the oil change and it took the mechanic 19 minutes to do (but they charge an hour labor). Things you do Once....

Change it yourself and learn a bit about your boat.

rdlangston13
03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
would west marine carry the impellers or would they have to order it?

harmsway
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Here is a link of were I bought my impeller this year. Pretty good price and I had in 2 days after ordering it.

http://www.boaterbarn.com/johnson_pump_impeller_kits_65387_prd1.htm

rdlangston13
03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
thanks! im thinking about getting two cause if one messes up i dont want to be down all day just for that

moombadaze
03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
David, dont throw the old impeller or gasket away, keep it in the boat till you replace the new one, then toss the older one away and keep the next as a spare.

Just possible but you could also run into somebody on the lake who is broke down and needs one and you can let them have the used one.

pogofx
03-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Here is a link of were I bought my impeller this year. Pretty good price and I had in 2 days after ordering it.

http://www.boaterbarn.com/johnson_pump_impeller_kits_65387_prd1.htm

Does the gasket come with this kit or do I have to buy that separately? If separate what's the part #. Thanks.

FamilyMatters
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I ordered mine as directed by one of the Moomba Masters on this forum from Discount Inboard Marine and got it for $36.12 in 3 days including shipping!

I'm already a fan, and it did come with the Gasket! Now if I can just figure out where it goes I'll be alright! When the cost from the dealer went north of $300.00 to change the oil and impeller I decided I couldn't do that much damage trying it myself!

Peace and Thanks to all for the advice!

Darren

rdlangston13
03-09-2011, 07:13 PM
that website states that it is on back order and thanks for the advice moombadaze. my plan was to just order tow impellers and keep the 2nd new one as a personal back up, then just buy one a year after that

harmsway
03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Does the gasket come with this kit or do I have to buy that separately? If separate what's the part #. Thanks.

It does come with the gasket and I believe shipping was $9.85. They did ship it very fast. I also saved my old one as spare it would do as a back up incase of an emergency.

DOCDRS
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I ordered mine as directed by one of the Moomba Masters on this forum from Discount Inboard Marine and got it for $36.12 in 3 days including shipping!

I'm already a fan, and it did come with the Gasket! Now if I can just figure out where it goes I'll be alright! When the cost from the dealer went north of $300.00 to change the oil and impeller I decided I couldn't do that much damage trying it myself!

Peace and Thanks to all for the advice!

Darren

Crazy, I think I'll start up a repair shop when I retire

mapleleaf
03-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Crazy, I think I'll start up a repair shop when I retire

what's great is my resume's ready!!

JesseC
03-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I always make sure that I either have an old impeller or a new one in the boat just in case something gets sucked up and ruins the impeller. I also carry 2 extra gaskets so if this does happen I have a new gasket to put the backup/new impeller back with.

schuylski
03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Has anyone ever had an impeller fail?

mmandley
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I have not herd anyone on the site say they have had one fail except the lack of replacing it and keep running it.

I can see the point of carrying an extra by the means of saving the old one. The most concern id have with impeller failure is if your in shallow waters because you will or can suck more sediment and stuff into the engine and this can cause impeller failure.

Id be a bit more scared though the stuff getting jammed in my cooling system and causing engine failure due to over heating. Im glad most all of my boating is deep water, 30+ ft even in the river.

JesseC
03-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Has anyone ever had an impeller fail?

I pulled one one year and it had a single fin missing but did not completly fail. What you have to remember is that over time the rubber hardens and becomes less plyable. Also anything that passes the impeller can damage it including sand, sticks and weeds. When you shut your boat down for the winter and do not pull the impeller it will actually dry out and stick to the side of the impeller housing and when you start it it can tear or rip the fins of the impeller. I replace mine every year, $40 is not worth risking the entire engine.

brain_rinse
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Mike, why not add an intake strainer? $30 is cheap peace of mind.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10670

WaterBullDawg1980
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM

You can pick up the gasket from a dealer for $1. At least that is what I had to do as West Marine didn't carry the gasket and impeller together.

Sorry, but I do not know the part number. I would suggest to give the local dealer a ring.

mmandley
03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Mike, why not add an intake strainer? $30 is cheap peace of mind.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10670

I actually have one just never seemed to get it installed last year. Its at the top of my to do before i hit the water this year.

Hydrofoiljunky
03-18-2011, 11:39 AM
To the DIY guys. When you gravity dripped the oil into a catch pan thru the bilge hole, how much oil did you get to drain out? The oil capacity is 5 quarts in the 325 indmar Assault and I got just over 4 but havn't removed the filter yet and I'm guessing that will put me closer to 4.5q. I know you can't get it all but just wanted to check and see if that was inline with what everyone else was getting?

Also, thanks to everyone for posting the tips on the Impellar change. Worked like a charm and
only took me 1 barley pop.

Chad

harmsway
03-18-2011, 01:11 PM
That is about the same that drained out on my LS. (4 1/4 qts.)

kaneboats
03-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I got close to 5 total including what was in the filter. I've also been known to dump a few ounces of clean oil in and let it drip all the way through before I recap the line.

bzubke1
03-18-2011, 01:44 PM
FWIW I get all 5.5 quarts out every oil change using my pela pump.

rdlangston13
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I got my oil change and impeller changed out this week! going to the lake tomorrow and sunday for the first outing of 2011. pela worked great but next time i think i am going to fire it up first to warm the oil up so it comes out faster. impeller took some fighting to get out but it came, no fins missing so we are good there.

i used 15w40 full synthetic amsoil diesel / marine engine oil. any one else use this? any feedback?

JesseC
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I used 15w40 full synthetic amsoil diesel / marine engine oil. any one else use this? any feedback?

Do you have cats on your boat? Do a google search on Diesel oil in a gas engine. If it were mine, I would not put it in there. They say it slowly kills catolytic converters. Just my 2 cents and it may not even be worth both of them.....

rdlangston13
03-26-2011, 01:28 AM
i dont have cats on mine and it said it was for diesel and gas engines, especially marine. i hear great things about ams oil so we will see

FLMOOMBA
03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a 2007 Outback DD, 5.7 Assault. What pump does that model use, and does anyone have the part number for the impeller kit and a good on line place to buy it? My local wants north of $250 for an oil change and impeller, just doesn;t seem worth it.

viking
03-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I have a 2007 Outback DD, 5.7 Assault. What pump does that model use, and does anyone have the part number for the impeller kit and a good on line place to buy it? My local wants north of $250 for an oil change and impeller, just doesn;t seem worth it.

Any pump will work. You just suck the fluid out of the Drain hose. I use the Pela 6000 (http://www.pelaproducts.com/) and got it at Wholesalemarine.com if I remember right.

See Post #1
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6925

Impeller can be purchased from Skidim.com or Bakesonline.com.

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276

rdlangston13
03-28-2011, 09:37 AM
i spent just a hair over 100 bucks just for oil and the impeller. so if you think about it the dealer is not making that much money on labor