PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker/Light Install

Sabe
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
How many of you have installed tower speakers/lights yourself? My wife ordered me a combo setup with 4 speakers and 4 lights as a surprise. Now i'm trying to decide if i should have someone do it or tackle it myself. The only thing i'm concerned with is drilling the holes. Any advice. Thanks

11 Outback V
02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Use a sharp Drill Bit........:rolleyes:

Drill a small hole first and work your way up to the desired size

rdlangston13
02-24-2011, 06:19 PM
i heard unibits are nice

moombadaze
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Use a sharp Drill Bit........:rolleyes:

Drill a small hole first and work your way up to the desired size

and be prepaired for lots and lots of vacumming when your done drilling

brain_rinse
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I held a towel underneath the drill to catch the shavings... still had a bunch of vacuuming though.

Razzman
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
and be prepaired for lots and lots of vacumming when your done drilling

Gauranteed method for no shavings in the boat; Hang an old sheet between the front and the back tower bars end to end or wherever your drilling the tower. Use blue painters tape to secure it so you have a large hammock hanging and drill away at slow speed so you don't fling the chips. When done just undo the tape and roll up the sheet as you go. Method works flawlessly unless you leave gaps for metal chips to shoot through when drilling. I've used this method on many boats so far and it works.

mmandley
02-24-2011, 09:01 PM
How many of you have installed tower speakers/lights yourself? My wife ordered me a combo setup with 4 speakers and 4 lights as a surprise. Now i'm trying to decide if i should have someone do it or tackle it myself. The only thing i'm concerned with is drilling the holes. Any advice. Thanks

Dont let drilling the tower or threw fiberglass scare you. Let it make you nervous as then you will want to double triple check everything.

Tips for drilling the tower. Lots of Blue painters tape. 2 sharp bits and a good Punch.

Put several layers of tape in the spot you want to drill as this keeps the bit from walking and also protects the tower if it does. If you still scratch the tower some emery cloth you can sand it off and still make it match the tower pretty well.

Use the Punch to set the mark, then use a fairly small bit but not so small it flexes because you need to press into it to start the drilling so it doesn't walk. After the first bit is threw now use the diameter you want. A Stepping bit can be pretty good but i generally don't start with a stepping bit.

Fiberglass and Gell Coat drilling work pretty similar except no center punch needed and run the drill in reverse to keep the bits from chipping the gell coat.

sandm
02-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Unibits are fantastic!

When drilling thru metal, I always rig up the vacuum hose to suck in shavings while I'm drilling

worked for me :)

EarmarkMarine
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
A centerpunch used to create a detent is essential so that the drill bit does not walk about the tower.
You can use one tiny pilot bit before the final bit or a Unibit but avoid graduating separate bits beyond that. For example, a 1/2-inch bit drilled into a 1/4 or 5/16-inch, etc hole will create an irregular hole. And you need a very precise hole size and roundness if a plastic chassis grommet that prevents chaffing is going to stay seated.
An upside down trashcan lid should collect 100 percent of the filings if you've got someone to hold it in place under the work area for you.
Please wear googles.

David
Earmark Marine

kaneboats
02-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Measure once, cut twice! (Or something like that.) :)

harmsway
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Some helpful pics & tips for a 1st timer on drilling holes in the tower & fiberglass. 2 people is best @ times but not required. My 14 yr. old son help me.

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=397

Sabe
02-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Harmsway that link is great that answered alot of questions thanks.