PDA

View Full Version : Outback surfing woes

usaski1
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, I'm about to give up surfing behind my outback DD. its a 2008. I put 1500# in it. Im using a Shredstix Jamako 4'11 board. Only thing That might work is a larger board. It jsut seems to have no sweet spot.tried 3x now. I have a 750 across the back, and a 750 allong the motorbox side on the drivers side, plus a 150 lb driver. Wake is large, but not curling over. tried between 9 and 12mph. Do I need a bigger board? Is surfing possible behind an outback?

kaneboats
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
How deep is the water? If it gets under about 7 feet the wake really flattens out. Make sure you are plenty deep. Also, it takes a while to find the sweet spot. Post up some pics or preferably some video of the wake and you surfing it. We can help. If I can surf behind an Outback ANYONE CAN! Just hang (10) in there.

moombadaze
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
How deep is your water? May want to check you speedo against a gps to make sure its correct-its amazing what a 1/10 mph can and will do

mmandley
02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
took me 2 summers to free rope behind my boat and i still have a lot to learn.

Once you finaly hit the spot you will find it all the time and wonder what took you so long to find it.

Also surfing isnt as easy as it looks, you got speed, ballast weight, water conditions, balance on the board and board type all play a factor in this. I can surf on a few boards really easy then i get on some boards and i cant surf at all.

cmtaylor777
02-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Bigger board doesn't always mean better surfing but a board that is too small will always give you problems. Make sure you start off with the right board , then work on the wave. Have to get the right tools if you expect to do the job right.

kaneboats
02-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Before you give up, get a coach

Lotsa coaches here. Let's see pics of the wave and the rider. Video would be great. We are here to help!

usaski1
02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the tips. Im not sure what to do. I have surfed before, behind a v drive and some other dd's... my lake is shallow, its a private lake, so also short and always running out of lake for this stuff. The water depth is about 6 to 7 ft. Geez, I figured 1500# would be plenty. The boat drove like a pig too!

moombadaze
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
The water depth is about 6 to 7 ft.

there is the problem,

I have 2 lakes in my area- one has lots of shallow spots around 6-9 ft, i can tell instantly when where over that shallow water as the wave disapppears and then reappears when it gets deeper.

Really need a minimum depth of 10 ft--deeper is better

in the bubble
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree, water under 10' is bad. Drew has a shallow spot in his area of lake and when I went across it I fell off.

kaneboats
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
EdG actually complimented me for how long I hold the rope. I can free ride for a long time but I usually have my 16 y/o daughter driving. I tend to hang on to the rope till I know I'm about done to save having to get pulled out over and over if I lose it. I just hold it out front in my L hand and don't even know its there. It's a good thing to do as you are working to get better. You can also "test" the wave length a lot easier without losing the wave when you drop back in the pocket.