PDA

View Full Version : Lanyard Engine Kill?

usaski1
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I guess all Moombas have the lanyard engine kill switch. My previous boat didnt have one. Anyway, I never ware that lanyard (be honest, you don't either) But I keep kicking it with me knee/leg whan Im doing things in the boat, leading to "WTF, the engine stopped?" Basically, anyone hard wired their lanyard to bypass it? I assume it would be easy to do. I think I killed the motor 4 times yesterday, that switch is touchy. The first time I did it, I spent cranking on the boat for 10 min trying to figure out why it wouldnt start.

zabooda
02-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Another failure point and get rid of it unless required by law.

brain_rinse
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I think you're supposed to cross your legs like a girl when you drive.

dusty2221
02-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Take the lanyard portion off....just leave the clip portion in.

usaski1
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll still bump it even with just the clip in. How do I hard wire bypass it? I havent even looked yet.. is it just two wires, cus them and twist together?

JesseC
02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I had to add one to my LSV due to it being a law in Alabama waterways. When I got inspected at a random stop he wrote me a "Fixit Ticket" and told me I had to have one by the next weekend. Sure enough the following weekend he stopped me again and boarded the boat. He then sat down and told me to start the boat followed by him pulling the lanyard and the boat shut off like it is supposed to. He cleared my ticket and I have not been stopped in the last four years!!!

Yes, you can bypass it by putting the two wires together, I would not recommend it :) but yes it will work.

If you are stopped and it is non functional and required in your state, you can receive a ticket/warning depending on his mood!!

NCSUmoomba
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I have been curious about these for a while. My 2001 Outback does not have one, so not all boats have them. I wonder what the criteria is to have one? As far as bypassing it, it can be done. We did it on my dad's offshore boat the other year because the switch malfunctioned and the boat wouldn't start. I can't remember how exactly we did it. Basically cutting the wires can be the trick. You might want to figure out if it is a Normally Open or Normally Closed switch first. Depending on which it is, you would have to either connect the wires together or leave them disconnected.

JesseC
02-22-2011, 02:17 PM
In most cases the switch is just inline with the "Run" wire of your iginition switch. When I installed mine I cut the run wire and put the switch inline. However I used bullet connectors so if the switch fails I can bypass it. Most of these switches are set to fail open. If you clip breaks or is pulled it opens the igintion wire and the boat shuts down.

jmondl
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I investigated a boating accident years ago in which a fishing guide took two newly weds out boating one morning at Table Rock Lake. They were cruising to their fishing spot at a decent speed when the boat hit a wave and took a sudden turn to starboard. All of the passengers were ejected.

It never occurred to me until that accident that a boat in that situation would make a perfect circle, returning to the spot where the boat began turning and ejected its passengers. During its subsequent passes through the location where the ejected passengers treaded water, the unmanned boat ran all of them over, ultimately killing two of them and shredding body parts of the third. If you want some motivation for wearing a lanyard, read the widow's post at: http://www.spin-site.org/phyllis.htm

At top speed, my Outback can easily turn hard to starboard. When I go fast, I wear my lanyard.

mmandley
02-22-2011, 07:05 PM
There was an incident posted here last year about a bunch of teens in a boat and it was running and when they jumped in the water the last guy hit the throttle or something causing the boat to spin and run over them and killed a couple of them or one of them..Anyhow..

lsvboombox
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Check out this video, now granted its a bass boat and he probably was going about 80 and an idiot for crossing a wake at full speed..... But you never know when you will be tossed from the helm(maybe not out of the boat) and it could save others lives not just your own.....

at about 1:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

BensonWdby
02-22-2011, 08:37 PM
My 99 Mobius does not have one, but my old runabout did. I always wore it and insisted that anyone driving wear it. I know of one person killed by a boat that they were ejected from and one severly injured when the drive was thrown to the back and it returned to run over the skier before they could regain control. Granted neither of these were inboard ski boats, and the first case was alcohol related and the second had no spotter.

Not sure where the lanyard swith is in the newer Moombas but there may be some alternatives to removing it completely.
1. Consider moving to a less impact prone location.
2. maybe a small elastic shroud acting as a retainer that might still 'give' when severly yanked on.

Granted if you are never going to use it probably not worth the effort.

I know I wish I had one - also helps as a theft deterent - taking the lanyard with you, or at least hiding it on the boat.

usaski1
02-22-2011, 09:55 PM
WOW! lots of lanyard supporters! I didnt expect that.perhaps I can move it to a different location or something or somehow make it more forgiving of bumps and the like.

smokedog2
02-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Yep, I wear it any time I boat alone or in rough water. In part as an example to the kids. I saw a bass boat doing circles last year. I swapped to the Lund to go help but it ran out of gas. I have never bumped mine lose.

JesseC
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I know I wish I had one - also helps as a theft deterent - taking the lanyard with you, or at least hiding it on the boat.

If you really want to add one, I can take some pics of where I mounted mine. It is way up high and really hard to accidently disconnect. Even better I did not have to cut any wires to install it! I know I stated that I had cut them earlier, but when I got home I went downstairs and looked at it and I just put extensions in the iginition wire and ran it to my switch. I did not even drill any holes!!!

BensonWdby
02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
I might actually be interested in that...

BensonWdby
02-23-2011, 01:29 AM
WOW! lots of lanyard supporters! I didnt expect that.perhaps I can move it to a different location or something or somehow make it more forgiving of bumps and the like.

I think you need to keep it in perspective also. When driving the old outboards it was pretty typical to be sitting on top of the seat back, rather than down in the the seat - at least for me it was. So if you find yoruself standing or sitting high then it is probably a good idea. If all you pull is surf and wake board when you seated 'improperly' then probably no no biggie. Chances are you will have multiple peole in the boat.

If you are normally sitting in the seat at higher speeds, I think you would have to try pretty hard to get tossed out. I personally like doing high speed turns to show off the capabilities of the boat from time-to-time when it is safe (and I alwasy warn the riders). The G forces are pretty significant when you crank the wheel at 45 mph. The seat seems pretty secure. But that is not a jerk-and-release type manuever that might eject someone.

If you scan Schnitz you can find some references to lanyards
http://www.schnitzskis.com/safety.html
Note the boat in the tree - allegedly from not wearing a lanyard.

JesseC
02-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Benson,
here is what I ended up doing in my boat. Admitadly this is not one of my cleaner installs in the boat, but it was a quick throw it in and keep the popos happy. It basically consists of a piece of angle bracket and some metal strapping! On the ignition wire there is a purple wire that goes over to the circuit board. I simply unplugged the purple wire and connected it to one side of my switch with an extension wire with the correct terminal. Then I took the other side of the switch and plugged it into where the purple wire came from. If my switch fails, I simply unplug the purple wire from the switch extension and put it back on the circuit board and I am up and running. Again, this is something that I just threw in the boat in about an hour to get back on the water and never bothered to go back and clean up the install, so please forgive the crude install!!!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/1Lanyard.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/2Lanyard.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/3Lanyard.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/4Lanyard.jpg

BensonWdby
02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Actually seems pretty brilliant to me. I also like the cup holders on the floor on the starboard side by the feet. Did you add that or is it standard on your model?

Thanks for posting.

JesseC
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Actually seems pretty brilliant to me. I also like the cup holders on the floor on the starboard side by the feet. Did you add that or is it standard on your model?

Thanks for posting.

The cupholders were there from the facroty I guess. I wonder when they started adding those for the driver?

kaneboats
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I had a 2000 OB with no driver's cupholders. I got a big PVC coupling and screwed it into the panel next to the driver's seat where it was hidden from view. The part I used was large enough to wedge a thick metal coozy into it so it fit tightly. So I could then just stick a can or bottle down in there and it was in a coozy. Worked great.

wolfeman131
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Really? You modified your boat specificially to have a beverage close at hand?

That should be in the Mod Hall of Fame!

kaneboats
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
LOL. It made my hall.

rdlangston13
02-24-2011, 05:04 PM
my 2008 LSV doesn't have cup holders but that is on the march to do list when i install my sweet new exile system!

and i have never used that kill switch and probably never will

kaneboats
02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
What? Where'd you get that LSV? Most have about 11 of them.

rdlangston13
02-25-2011, 07:45 PM
ok, maybe i should clarify, it does not have at the drivers seat. just in the back and in the bow and by the glove box.