PDA

View Full Version : Ballast gurus?

jmvotto
02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
If I am using a 4 port manifold with sprinkler values and adding a second rule fill pump off the intake. What are the ball shut off valves for? Looking to save space as it is tight in the obv 07. Going to lowes to start to gather parts.

brain_rinse
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
The shut off valves are there in case something fails (ie pump cracks, hose bursts, etc). So to work they need to be the first thing connected to the intake thru hull. The correct ball valves, like what is used from the factory, will be bronze, not brass.

jmvotto
02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
So there is one from the factory already there from the oem pump configuration.?

sandm
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
there's one there from the oem that skiers puts in. some have taken a 4port manifold off that and some have drilled 2 additional for new pumps.
basically, any hole that you drill into the bottom needs a shutoff as brain notes to prevent water incase of cracked pump or fitting.

jmvotto
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Brain and sandm, thanks for the input. Going try the dual pump four port manifold deal for the ibs. Some say I can use my 400 under the bow surf side seat. It will just comfort but visually I am having a hard time since I have about 5 inches of freeboard and the bag is 42x16x16

brain_rinse
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
So are you planning to drill a new hole for your 2nd pump or just tee off the existing intake?

sandm
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
jm,
would really like pics of this install when you are done installing the ibs(not pumps)? I'm having a hard time understanding how that goes in. some pics would be awesome :)

mmandley
02-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Sandm are you just wanting pics of how to install the IBS? I have mine all apart right now due to i replaced the bag with a new one. I can snap some shots of how i plumbed it and how it all goes in if you want.

sandm
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
love it.

[email protected] if you don't mind :)

thanks

brain_rinse
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
jm,
would really like pics of this install when you are done installing the ibs(not pumps)? I'm having a hard time understanding how that goes in. some pics would be awesome :)

What's your ballast config right now?

sandm
02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
factory '06 pumps/plumbing-dual 1100's in the corner and the 400 in the ski locker.
really needing to do some upgrades, but not sure what. I hate the slow fill times of the 1100, but it's more of a personal thing. no one has ever minded finishing another barley pop waiting for a bag to fill and it gives me time to fill the 2 440's that I use for surfing, one in the bow walkway and another on the pass seat, but I would like to get rid of the bow if at all possible. I just don't think I have the right layout or enough depth to get an ibs in. hoping to see some pics of one installed with seats out :)

jmvotto
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
What's your ballast config right now?

Me or sandm. Unfortunately I won't be doing this until may when I get the boat. Just had a day to kill, since my ski plans went bad. Lowes did not have bronze, what's the big diff as long as it is not galvanized.

Scott I will certainly snap pics , heater will be here this week as well. Three projects and counting.

Newty has an ibs plumbed and has pics.

brain_rinse
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Me or sandm.That was meant for sandm but I would like to know if you're planning to put another hole in the boat or just tee off your factory intake.

Lowes did not have bronze, what's the big diff as long as it is not galvanized. Brass isn't meant for marine duty and won't hold up over time like bronze. It's a huge deal if you run in saltwater but not as critical in fresh. But to be fair I've seen a lot of ballast installs with brass all over and I haven't heard of a single one sinking a boat yet :)

jmvotto
02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
That was meant for sandm but I would like to know if you're planning to put another hole in the boat or just tee off your factory intake.

Going to tee off original intake, bought a 4 valve manifold so I can feed from both ends, 4 bags and two inflow feeds.

newty
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
JV, I did the same thing a couple years ago. I added a 5 port manifold so I had water feeding to both sides of the manifold and turned my last solenoid forward with the rest.

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=125

jmvotto
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
JV, I did the same thing a couple years ago. I added a 5 port manifold so I had water feeding to both sides of the manifold and turned my last solenoid forward with the rest.

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=125

Exactly , thats what i am trying to do. what IBS bag do you have or is it two sepearte 200's or 400's in the bow area.

newty
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
600lb ibs.

The system works works really well. Essentially doubled my flow but only when you are filling more than one bag.

kaneboats
02-22-2011, 12:10 PM
I built a similar manifold with two inlets and 3 out to the bags. I did change the surf bag over to a better valve from Irritrol with a higher flow rate to speed it up. I just added a "T" at the inlet and a second shut off valve and second Rule pump. Works pretty well.

jmvotto
02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Great guys, i will pick your brain closer to my install and to see what bag i realy want to use or test out come May.

But i do fill the center and surf sac at the same time so this is an easy fill time fix