PDA

View Full Version : Battery cable size? - Relocating them

bergermaister
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm about to start my first spring project of relocating my batteries from the back of the boat to up under the passenger storage area (where most of the newer boats have them). Mine sit in the rear storage basically up against the transom now.

What I'm wondering is what gauge of cable I'll need for the run from my battery selector switch back to the starter and for the ground to the block.

I'm currently using some megawamba power/ground wire (close to 1" diameter) from the engine compartment forward for my amps. Can't remember what the gauge is, 00 or something. Most of that will go away as the distrubution block for the amps will be much closer to the batteries now. Unfortunately that won't quite be long enough to reuse for the batteries.

I'm estimating that it will be a run of around 12-14ft. I talked to a local battery shop and they said they use 0/2 (or 2/0?) welding cable for this sort of thing. It seemed very pliable and I'm guessing would handle the cranking amps needed to turn over the engine and take a charge from the alternator.

Surely someone else out there has gone through this and can tell me what they used...

jmvotto
02-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I spoke to SC about this a while back and thought it was 0/1 or larger.
good luck with the move.
my .02

kaneboats
02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Either one of those should work fine. The welding stuff from that kind of supplier will probably save you some coin. They can probably crimp your ends and stuff too.