PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Upgrade

Sea N' Things
02-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey guys, I have been reading through out the forum and trying to find out the part no. for the 750lbs fatsac ballast upgrade for the 2010 Moomba LSV. I just bought this boat as a left over 2010 from a local dealer, he has the boat at another dealership about 7hrs away, so i can't get a measurement atm. Long of the short is, what dementions and which 750 fits into the aft lockers? Someone called it a "plug and play" swap.....lol. I am also looking for a sac to fit under the bow filler cushion, if there is such a sac. Not sure on this measurement either but I would like to get one that doesn't stick out beyound the filler cushion. I am thinking 12"x12"x2 1/2' or 3' length at the most. Can someone varify bow and aft measuremets for me and recommanded upgrade.

Anyone wanting to buy a couple of stock 400's?

Thanks Cheers!

lsvboombox
02-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey guys, I have been reading through out the forum and trying to find out the part no. for the 750lbs fatsac ballast upgrade for the 2010 Moomba LSV. I just bought this boat as a left over 2010 from a local dealer, he has the boat at another dealership about 7hrs away, so i can't get a measurement atm. Long of the short is, what dementions and which 750 fits into the aft lockers? Someone called it a "plug and play" swap.....lol. I am also looking for a sac to fit under the bow cousion filler, if there is such a sac. Not sure on this measurement either but I would like to get one that doesn't stick out beyound the filler cousion. I am thinking 12"x12"x2 1/2' or 3' length at the most. Can someone varify bow and aft measuremets for me and recommanded upgrade.

Thanks Cheers!

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

you might as well put the 1000lber's you dont need to fill them all the way but at least you got the extra bag for surfing..

for the bow:
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-integrated-bow-sac.html

I actually found some 1 in y barb fittings(not t's , y's) I split off the mainline from the pump, 1 to the ski locker the other to the bow... I then took another y fitting and split the bow line to 1 port and 1 starboard bow sac... and ran the overflow out the side next to the stock ski locker overflow

Sea N' Things
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
If I were to install the 1000 lb'ers will there be enough room in the locker if I totally filled them? I like the bungy mesh netting idea for vertical storage which is why i was thinking 750's. The bow bag would be nice if the boat had alot of storage but it doesn't so I would like to keep the storage room under the bow cushions, which is why I would like to find an alt for under the filler cushion.

Thanks for the reply :)

mmandley
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
You should call Wake Makers and ask them about the under the filler cushion.

Im assuming your keeping the bag in the ski locker? I can also tell you that your going to have to get some weight in the nose, if you add 750s to the rear and fill them you will never get on plane with the boat. Just too much weight in the rear.

If you only plan to fill them to surf then you will be fine.

I honestly done know if even the bag under the walk-threw seat is worth the money because it will only be like 200 if that. You could just as easy do lead weight in the bow under the seats and get the same result. It wouldn't take that much space eighter.

I think what you need to ask yourself is what is my goal by adding weight to my boat in the first place?

Sea N' Things
02-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Food for thought for sure! I an just wanting to upgrade the aft sac's (I THINK???) for surfing only. I have never surfed before, i just bought this boat but want to be prepared for this season. I an trying to do my homework, order the parts as to have this boat in tip-top shape. Alot of ppl swaped out the 400's for 750's or 1000's. I would like to be proactive and have this stuff on order at least. I am thinking the 750's will do fine for what I am wanting to do, which is surf. I do have a 400 in the midship floor locker.

Question is do i need to replace my 400's and if so, i'm guessing, the 750's seem to be the most common choice. Do i also need to consider a bow sac or will the midship 400 be adequate?

dusty2221
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Do yourself a favor, go woth 1100's for the rear from the beginning.

bzubke1
02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
I would say go with the 1100s if you usually go out with very few people but if you always have a full boat the 750's will be plenty, but it is always nice to know you have the extra weight if you need it.

mmandley
02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
If your main concern for the bags are surfing then yea you will be perfectly fine with the 750 or the 1100.

I would shy away from the 1100 only because you really need to brace the rear engine bay area. Also these will leave no room for your gear under the doors like you mentioned.

Also if your surfing the 1100 and you only have the 400 in the front what your going to end up with is a really steep wave with a small pocket.

I have surfed Al Cabs boat a lot last summer and hes running the 750 rear and 400 center and thats it. Really nice wave, still steeper then i like but its a nice wave.

I run the 750 and 1050 up front. 400 in my locker and 650 IBS and i have a nice long wave with a pretty steep front area, i tend to run my wake plate at 50% to keep the front of the wave from being too steep.

Problem with too steep in the front of the wave is its a lot easier to rear end your boat with a board.

I can see everyone's point with get the 1100 first and i don't say Don't. I am just saying be prepared to brace the rear locker by the engine bay.

Also something a lot of people haven't mentioned is the same way you take a roller over the front of the bow will happen even more easier with the rear of the boat, and this to me is the Worst place to take rollers.

If you are surfing and drop the throttle that entire surf wave rolls right up on your rear deck, it happens to me with a 750 and a nose bag to level the boat more and i can only imagine how much a 1100 and only 400 up front will cause the rear wave to catch you. You will have to learn to never stop the throttle instantly.

One last thing to think about is the new boats the pump system is in the front of the starboard locker so make sure the 1100 will git length wise, im not sure if there is an issue with fit having your pumps in the locker area. On the older ones like the 08 the pumps and such are in the engine bay.

Sea N' Things
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Well thank you to all, lots of good stuff. I decided to order twin 750's with the bow sac.

moombadaze
02-17-2011, 03:25 PM
That size bags works great for the LSV.

STANG KILLA SS
02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
that is the perfect setup. you made the right choice.

Sea N' Things
02-17-2011, 03:38 PM
I think this combination will work just great, it seems to be the most common upgrade. I will also install the plumbing with the fourth fill switch as someone else had done. Will post pics on progress....

bzubke1
02-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I surf with just a 750 in the back and the ski locker 400 and no passengers, just a driver and its a solid wave.

Sea N' Things
02-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Good to know thanks for the post.

STANG KILLA SS
02-17-2011, 03:44 PM
I actually found some 1 in y barb fittings(not t's , y's) I split off the mainline from the pump, 1 to the ski locker the other to the bow... I then took another y fitting and split the bow line to 1 port and 1 starboard bow sac... and ran the overflow out the side next to the stock ski locker overflow

any chance you could do a MS Paint doodle of your front setup.
that would save me about $300 in the wakemakers pump kit...

Sea N' Things
02-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I will give it some thought and see what I can come up with. I want it to look as much like factory...ooops better than factory! I'll do research and see what everyone else had done then i'll pick and choose what I like and don't like about other setup.

Can't remember who it was but someone here done a really nice system with the fourth fill switch and all, that's propably the way i will go.

lsvboombox
02-17-2011, 04:41 PM
any chance you could do a MS Paint doodle of your front setup.
that would save me about $300 in the wakemakers pump kit...

this is kind of a crude drawing... and its cabs boat not mine. The newer tanks have another channel that i marked with black lines... I split the main line in the left of the picture and hooked the ski locker bag to that split.. Then went to the front of the gas tank and split it again. Those lines run under the passenger console and driver console then come up thru the stock holes and plug into the bow sac... I then drilled another hole next to the ski locker vent and installed a second vent for the bow sac.... I didnt want to add any switches or more pumps.

the only negative is you cant fill one or the other, they are either both filled or both empty... But its sounds like you only get about 200lbs in the ski locker so to me that should always be filled anyway.. So for me i will always be riding with them both full unless there are enough people onboard..

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/lsv.jpg

squeeg333
02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Newty did a solid install of the IBS a year or so ago. He's got a real nice write up with photos also. It looks about as factory as it needs to be, at least in my opinion.
Looks to be a pretty straight forward and easy install, and one I plan to tackle this summer. Just do a search for IBS and it should be there, or find Newty in the members list, and it'll pop right up (it's also a sticky in this mods board)

brain_rinse
02-17-2011, 04:48 PM
I will give it some thought and see what I can come up with. I want it to look as much like factory...ooops better than factory! I'll do research and see what everyone else had done then i'll pick and choose what I like and don't like about other setup.

Can't remember who it was but someone here done a really nice system with the fourth fill switch and all, that's propably the way i will go.

So are you adding a 4th pump? If so will you add another intake or just tee off one of the existing? I added a 4th switch and it was pretty straight forward and keeps the factory look.

Edit: I didn't take too many pics of my bow sac install, but there are some in the link in my signature that might help you visualize some things.

casmith71
02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
human ballast tanks are the cheapest option. no $ for sacs, no $ for pumps and lines, no time for install. plus everybody always wants to go for a ride. and can place them anywhere you want.

just stop by the local donut shop on your way to the lake.

go with the 1100's ( little more $ noe = lot less $ later)

Sea N' Things
02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I will be adding a fourth switch and a fourth pump. Still not sure about boat upgrade. Dealer has a 2010 xlv at a good price.......rrrrrrrr get out of my head.

STANG KILLA SS
02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
this is kind of a crude drawing... and its cabs boat not mine. The newer tanks have another channel that i marked with black lines... I split the main line in the left of the picture and hooked the ski locker bag to that split.. Then went to the front of the gas tank and split it again. Those lines run under the passenger console and driver console then come up thru the stock holes and plug into the bow sac... I then drilled another hole next to the ski locker vent and installed a second vent for the bow sac.... I didnt want to add any switches or more pumps.

the only negative is you cant fill one or the other, they are either both filled or both empty... But its sounds like you only get about 200lbs in the ski locker so to me that should always be filled anyway.. So for me i will always be riding with them both full unless there are enough people onboard..

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/lsv.jpg

thanks!
i assume this is one of the newer LSVs with the single line reversable pumps? ie the fill and drain lines are one in the same?

lsvboombox
02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
thanks!
i assume this is one of the newer LSVs with the single line reversable pumps? ie the fill and drain lines are one in the same?

Yes, my system is the new single pump system.. Just used a pic of cabs boat for a diagram cause mine wasnt available

Here is the Y fitting i used

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/2011-02-12_14-58-41_578.jpg

STANG KILLA SS
02-18-2011, 11:50 AM
yeah i started googling for them last night. didnt have any luck i found 3/4" and 1-1/8"

but i need 1" for 1" inner diameter hose right?
link?

brain_rinse
02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
If you don't find the 1" you could make a 1 1/8" wye work no problem.

lsvboombox
02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
This is not teh one I ordered but another option. Cant see a good picture though, looks like it may have a couple of extra barbs:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Insert_Y_Fitting_Insert_x_Insert_x_Insert_Hose_Bar b_Fittings-Spears-FT7933-FIFTFIHB-1-vi.html

this is the one I have, i am looking for the original place though. It was an aquarium shop and it was a little cheaper than these:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290354093105?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=211431036566&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=e6ae26eb1290a02652a257a2fee8ae05&itemid=290354093105&ff4=263602_309572

lsvboombox
02-18-2011, 12:17 PM
this may have been the place. I remember I got them for like 2.50 each.

http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4532

STANG KILLA SS
02-18-2011, 12:21 PM
im wondering if some inline manual valves after the first "Y" would be handy? i guess would have to be near the bag for access.
that way you could direct flow if you only wanted to fill one bag.

lsvboombox
02-18-2011, 03:59 PM
im wondering if some inline manual valves after the first "Y" would be handy? i guess would have to be near the bag for access.

I was thinking about a valve system but it would kind of be a pain to to the bow sac ones because the are so far under the dash's.. it maybe be easy to do the ski locker one though..

here is a pretty small valve with barbs
http://www.unifireusa.com/retail1/item.php?blkNO=1574-1648

jmvotto
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
https://www.flow-rite.com/product/qwik-lok-1-18-tee-fitting

here are some t fittings from flow rite with the quick connects. Not sure if you need T or Y.

I am adding a fourth valve with a new manifold to go direct to the bow sac.with a fourth switch.

lsvboombox
02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

I saw this at wakemakers.. may be able to install it in the portside storage between the rear locker and the cooler....?

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-distribution-flow-manifold.html

STANG KILLA SS
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
or cheaper and smaller yet...
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ITT-45490-1000/Y+Valve.html

lsvboombox
02-21-2011, 11:48 PM
or cheaper and smaller yet...
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ITT-45490-1000/Y+Valve.html

nice. I am going to look into that one... thx

would be nice if you could leave both valves open but just favor one valve over the other... This way you could get both bags to be completely filled at the same time(even though they are different sizes)......

STANG KILLA SS
02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
i know what your saying. a simple inline straight threw valve at each bag (or somewhere after the a Y) would acomplish that.

lsvboombox
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
i know what your saying. a simple inline straight threw valve at each bag (or somewhere after the a Y) would acomplish that.

are you going to try just the y fittings first? or are you putting on the valves? I'm thinking that once the ski locker fills the water is going to divert to the bow sac... I am tempted to put in some valves but I would like to see how it works with just the y fittings 1st.

I was at home depot today and looked at building a 2 outlet manifold with pvc that had 2 valves.. It would be a little on the big side but you would be able to independently control the flow to each sac... it would cost about 25 dollars

STANG KILLA SS
02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
to be honest my lazyness to get out of the drivers seat is still contimplating still buying the wakemakers reversable add a pump kit...

brain_rinse
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
to be honest my lazyness to get out of the drivers seat is still contimplating still buying the wakemakers reversable add a pump kit...
DO IT! It's not lazy when you've got a brand new boat with 3 reversible pumps already.

Sea N' Things
02-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Lots of great stuff here, I really think i'm going to add the additional pump and 4th switch.....I'm lazy as well :)

lsvboombox
02-23-2011, 09:15 AM

so if i was to do a 4th, where are you thinking of installing the pump? I dont think a 4th can fit in the area where the pumps are located..

STANG KILLA SS
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
to be honest i havent researched any past looking up the kit online. havent even looked in the boat, only had it a week :D

Sea N' Things
02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
I will probably make a new header system and relocate all the pumps to a more covienent location.

TL7
02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Question about timers: Where can I buy an additional timer if I add a pump? I see a timer at Wakemakers, but it states it's for a Mastercraft/Natique. Are these generic?

I haven't decided if I'm going to add a "Y" for the IBS like lsvboombox planned out, or if I'm going to add a 4th pump dedicated for it. If I add the 4th, I'd like to have a timer on it as well. Do I get this from my dealer/Moomba or someplace like Wakemakers?

Edit - nevermind. It looks like the timer listed at Wakemakers will work. The description states MC/Natique, but the top of the page it has all boats listed. Need to work on my reading skills. Now I just need to decide if it's worth it to me to spend the additional $300 to be able to isolate both bags.

http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraft-ballast-pump-timer-module.html

STANG KILLA SS
02-24-2011, 07:05 PM
$100 for a Fn timer? you got to be kidding me. no thanks.

you da man
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
to be honest i havent researched any past looking up the kit online. havent even looked in the boat, only had it a week :D

It's pretty crowded down there Cory.

STANG KILLA SS
03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
you do you add more time to the timers? when the dash meter reaches 100% it shuts them off.

Sea N' Things
03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
FYI, The following is an item list for a 2010 Moomba LSV ballast upgrade from Wake Makers.......Please note I upgraded all the thru hull fittings from black plastic to SS. ;)

1) 2X-Supra/Moomba BagBuster Rear Ballast Upgrade (2009+)Bag Size 750 lbs - 50" x 20" x 20"
2) 1X-Fly High Pro X Series Integrated Bow SacColor Grey
3) 1X-Fly High 3/4" Flow-Rite Quick Release Connect W736
4) 1X-Fly High 3/4" Elbow Flow-Rite Quick Release Connector W742
5) 2X-Fly High 1" Flow-Rite Quick Release Connect W743
6) 2X-Fly High 1" Elbow Flow-Rite Quick Release Connector W746
7) 1X-1" Hose Barb Tee Fitting
8) 1X-Jabsco Wakeboard Ballast Puppy Reversible Pump
9) 1X-Mastercraft/Nautique Jabsco Pump Timer Module
10) 1X-1" Thread 1" Hose Barb Fitting
11) 1X-1" Bronze Ball Valve
12) 1X-1" Bronze Thru-Hull Intake
13) 1X-3M 4000 Marine Adhesive
14) 5X-3/4" Thru Hull Fitting – (SS) Stainless Steel
15) 10’X-3/4" Ballast Hose Black
16) 20’X-1" Ballast Hose Black
17) 8X-1" Stainless Steel Hose Clamp
18) 2X-3/4" Stainless Steel Hose Clamp
19) 15’X-12 Gauge 2 Conductor Marine Pump Wire
20) 6X-12 Gauge Crimp Butt Connector

mmandley
03-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Nice list man. Only thing i would add is some heat shrink tube. You will want to heat shrink or silicon the But connectors after you make the connections or what will happen is after a season or two it will corrode and the connection will fail or cause more amps to pull and pop fuses.