PDA

View Full Version : trailer brakes - what is required on the truck

clark
01-01-2005, 02:08 AM
I am going to buy a Mobius LSV this month and I know that the trailer has breaks. What is required on my 2000 Silverado to make this work correctly?

waterboy
01-01-2005, 04:20 AM
You'll need to have a 5 wire plug on your truck, to accomodate the trailer brakes. Enjoy your new boat!

Brian

clark
01-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys. Let me tell you what I currently have. My truck has a seven prong connector. I have to use an adapter to bring it down from 7 to 4 for my old boat and utility trailer. Hopefully, that may already be wired for brakes and I just need a new adapter to go from 7 to 5. I was told I needed a brake switch mounted inside like trucks that haul 30 - 40 ft campers.

Thanks again and I can't wait.

Clark

noneya
01-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I think the break switch you refer to is for electrically activated brakes. You will just have hydraulic surge brakes. They are activated by the tounge pushing forward into the ball. The reverse light interconnect tells the brakes to release on backing. If you have a 4-pin you can tow with the 4 pins in and then when reversing, hook the unused 5th pin on the trailer into the 2nd pin on the truck.

clark
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Would I be better off just getting a5 pin adapter so I do not have to unhook when backing?

clark
01-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks Ed. Since this will be my first inboard, I am sure I will continue asking you experts.