PDA

View Full Version : Skipper Buds

snyderaaron
02-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Has anyone done business with Skipper Buds in the Midwest. They called me today and I was just trying to get some feedback on them.

Hoopskier
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Never done any business with Skipper Buds. I have been to the one in Madison, WI one time to check out their inventory prior to my current boat. I wasn't to comfortable being there though. I felt a little out classed-like I wasnt take serious. Everyone was wearing yellow polo shirts, upper class like, just not my taste. My impression was that they catered to the wealthier class, at least in Madison. Sales person suggested boat that were at their other locations and beyond my price range. It was a short visit and didnt buy anything.

This was just my experience. Only went there once. Yours maybe different.

deerfield
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Has anyone done business with Skipper Buds in the Midwest.

I have purchased shorts, shirts, life jackets, skis, wakeboards, bindings, tubes, barefoot boom, boat lift (w/ canopy) from the Skipper Buds store located in Volo, Illinois. The guys who sell the merchandise also know and sell the ski and wakeboard boats. I appreciate these guys. Among other things, they host the annual owner's reunion.

At this same location Skipper Buds also sells big boats like Sea Ray, and I think the staff that covers that part of the business is a different team. I don't know anything about that side of the Skipper Buds business.

The one weakness I encountered with Skipper Buds is the parts counter which is located in a separate building where service and maintenance is provided. In one instance I was sold the wrong set of plugs. In another I was sold a part from an open box and the gasket was missing (discovered after the 20-mile drive back to my house). Seems to me that a good parts person would not make those kinds of mistakes.

I'm working with the merchandise/ski and wakeboard boat sales guys at this Skipper Buds location on a slalom ski clinic for this summer. If you want a good contact, ask Marge to connect you with Glenn, Blair, or Lucas.

hattrick
02-15-2011, 06:24 PM
I live pretty close to the Skipper Bud's in Volo. Therefore I stop in there regularly. Everyone in the wake/ski shop are awesome. They are very helpful and will spend time with you to make sure you get exactly what you are looking for.

I did not feel the same with the sales staff when I was shopping for a boat. I was made to feel like I was wasting their time because I wasn't willing to spend $80k on a new boat. Just my opinion.

snyderaaron
02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Hey thanks guys, I called them and they told me they couldn't sell me a boat because I wasn't in their region for a moomba dealer. Sound weird and fishy to me that they couldn't sell me a boat, but got some good advice on a price for a 2010.

jmvotto
02-15-2011, 11:27 PM
SC has territory rights on new boats to protect their dealers.

Lawdog
02-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Out of region didn't stop them from selling me my boat....I live near South Bend, IN about 3 hrs away. Got two local dealers 30 mins from my house. I thought their sales staff was really good. As a matter of fact I wouldn't hesitate a second from buying from them again.

Iowa05LSV
02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
snyderaaron,
Where you located? I've worked with both Forest Lake Motor Sports in MN and B & B Sports in IA and have very high regards for both.

lsvboombox
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Out of region didn't stop them from selling me my boat....I live near South Bend, IN about 3 hrs away. Got two local dealers 30 mins from my house. I thought their sales staff was really good. As a matter of fact I wouldn't hesitate a second from buying from them again.

+1 bought mine 1000 miles away..

sandm
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
+1 bought mine 1000 miles away..

+2. skiers dealer here pissed me off with a crappy salesman, so I bought mine 400 miles away. granted it was "used" as a skiers choice demo boat from tenn. but was sold as "new with full warranty". dealer in spokane didn't even bat an eye that there's a dealer 15 miles from my house.

that's what makes being a customer great. go where you're money's appreciated, not where you have to spend it. no incentive that way to give good service.

snyderaaron
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
snyderaaron,
Where you located? I've worked with both Forest Lake Motor Sports in MN and B & B Sports in IA and have very high regards for both.

I live in Nebraska