PDA

View Full Version : help please

jhoward
02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
hey guys i am very close to buying a new 2010 moomba outback. it has a color upgrage E package, pop up cleats, covers, tower mirrow and wake board rack. those are all the options it comes with. I would love to know if the price is good and worth the money or is their a better deal out their. the price is 34,000.00. any help will be appreciated.

kaneboats
02-14-2011, 08:17 PM
You know what? Get the one you want with the equipment you want. Don't sweat one to two thousand either way. In the long run it doesn't make that much difference. Make sure you get the one you want. That's the part that matters. They are all a darn good deal compared to what else is out there.

deerfield
02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
jhoward - To confirm, this 2010 Outback you are considering has the color upgrade and is equipped with pop up cleats, cover, tower, tower mirror, and wake board rack.

I know you said that was it for upgrades, but still asking:

Any ballast system?
Upgraded sound system?
Dual axle trailor?

For comparison, I ordered a 2007 Outback and paid $33,495. That price did not include rigging/prep/freight, local sales tax, or state title/registration. My Outback: tower, dual axle trailer, ballast, heater, cover, spare tire w/ bracket, tower mirror, depth finder, color upgrade, Kenwood sound system (receiver, amp, and six speakers), bimini, docking lights, cleats, boat buddy, and 3-year warranty.

The $34,000 price tag might be okay. Is the seller a dealer? Is this a boat with zero hours on the engine?

I think the base price went up each year after I bought mine. The 2007 base price was $26,995. Options/upgrades add up fast and boost that cost. For me it was well worth it. I will probably never sell my boat.

Keep us posted and let us know what happens. - Deerfield

Ian Brantford
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
jhoward, there is no need to cross-post. We'll see and answer your questions as best we can.

There is good advice above. What I would recommend is to think about how long you expect to keep your boat. I don't know whether you are the must-have-latest kind of person (so, two years) or keep-it-until-it's-dead type (so, 30 years). Let's say for example that it's 10 years. The thing is to amortise your costs of choices over the useful lifetime, which is either when they wear out or when you are finished with the boat.

So, if you are choosing between the cost of two similar items, the decision may be assisted by thinking about the annual cost, which is the cost difference divided by the amortisation period. Example: let's say that the purchase that you'll settle for saves you $2000 off a boat that you can order exactly as you wish. Over ten years, you saved $200/year -- not a lot if it isn't what you really want.

If you are financing this boat, take into account the extra cost in interest.

Another way to look at costs and choices is to pick boats as equipped with anything that is a challenge to add afterwards. Whether it's parts or labour, it may be difficult to change your mind afterwards on engine, tower, speed control, trailer, ballast plumbing, hull colour, etc. However, mirrors and racks are typically easy to add, sometimes better/cheaper, from the aftermarket. I upgraded my racks, ballast bags, prop and bimini cover.

Have you used the on-line configurator to look at ALL of the options and price out what you want? If not, you should do that, and compare to how much it would cost to upgrade the discounted boat from a new and current model.

jhoward
02-14-2011, 09:03 PM
thank you guys for all the info. this really helps. it does have single axle with swing away and brakes, upgraded sound system, and ballast

we plan on keeping it for a long time. as long as it last hopefully. this paticular boat is the color i would order and we do love this boat. We have a 2006 bass boat that we are going to keep aswell. we started out looking for a fish and ski and found the outback at a local show and talked with the dealer and just plan out feel in love with it. thank you guys again.

We hope that soon very soon we can join the proud MOOMBA owners

skiyaker
02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
t we started out looking for a fish and ski and found the outback at a local show and talked with the dealer and just plan out feel in love with it.

That's what happened to us. I thought we were going to get a Tahoe boat of some kind then we saw the moombas at the boat show. There's a little learning curve to learning to drive an inboard but I'd never dream of going back to an I/O. Hope it works out for ya- keep us posted