PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate vs Gravity I

tarheelskier
02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Guys,

Not a current Moomba owner, but now looking at 09-11 Outback V's. Me and wife ski mostly, 2 sons are novice (but growing) wakeboarders. They ski too, but boarding is gaining more of their attention.

The question is this: for wakeboarding, if you had to choose, which helps the wake more, the wakeplate or a Gravity I bag. Never driven a moomba with the wakeplate, so curious of all your thoughts of its effectiveness. Worth the money? Doubtful we will go to the Gravity III.

Thanks for your feedback.

kaneboats
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
If you had to choose, I'd say take the wakeplate. It's about $1100 bucks worth and does a couple things. First, when you ski you can set it to flatten or shape the wake. When you board you can put it up more and steepen the wake. It doesn't change the size much but helps with the shape and really helps with handling when you are just cruising.

A G1 bag is a cheap add on you can do yourself for a couple hundred bucks. You could add your own version of the G3 system cheaper than you could add a wakeplate.

So, I'd take the wakeplate and add my own ballast system. You can get good recommendations for ballast systems from Wakemakers.

brain_rinse
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree the wakeplate is the better option for a multi-sport family. And if I could only add one option or the other (plate or G1) on my boat I would choose the plate. But you asked what helps the wake more for wakeboarding, and I would say the additional 400 lbs and no plate would be better than 0 lbs and a wakeplate. I'd say get the plate now add a ballast system (even if it's manually filled) as your sons progress in the sport.

flex
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
friend of mine had a mc prostar direct drive. it didn't have a wakeplate, but he would sack it out with one 1100 & two 550's. wake was good but it did have a soft lip. a wakeplate would help to steepen it.

i would recommed buying some sacs & a tsunami pump before the wake plate or the gravity I. as you advance in wakebord skills, then buy the wakeplate. only my opionion.

kaneboats
02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Anybody know off hand if the wakeplate is standard on 09-11 obv like he's looking at?

brain_rinse
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Anybody know off hand if the wakeplate is standard on 09-11 obv like he's looking at?
I know it was still optional for 09-10, but not sure on the 11s.

KSmith
02-14-2011, 08:07 PM
For the wakeplate it'd be cheaper in the long run getting as an option from the factory. All of the Moombas ordered in by Atlanta Marine that I have seen have the factory installed wakeplate. If it is a choice get the wakeplate.

moombadaze
02-14-2011, 08:27 PM
wakeplate -out of those two options for reasons stated above

kaneboats
02-15-2011, 02:25 PM
You know what? If you are talking about the "new" OBV, meaning 2009 and newer you get the new version of the GIII ballast system. It' is way better and way faster than the old stuff. I would definitely agree with the post above that you want it right off the bat. It's a "do everything" boat so why limit yourself?

tarheelskier
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, definitely will be helpful as I move toward a purchase.

Any other opinions out there?

brain_rinse
02-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Since you asked again, I'm changing my mind. :) I like Ed's and Kane's perspective. You will regret not having either, so do it right the first time and get both the plate and G3. A little more cost up front but cheaper and better in the long run.

tarheelskier
02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Kane, Ed, and Brain, thanks for that perspective. I definitely agree with "do it right the first time", just not sure if that will be feasible for me or not. Will depend if I find the right 10-11 in stock, or order it. If I order, will definitely so it right, but if its in stock and makes sense, this gives me the info I need to compare boats.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.