PDA

View Full Version : Video of my Bullet Hollowpoint 770's.

bzubke1
02-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Not many videos of HLCD's floating around on this board, so I figured I would put one up for anybody thinking about getting some. The tower set up is one pair of bullet hollowpoint 770 hlcd's powered by a JL Audio G4500 bridged. The speakers are getting 250 watts a piece at 4 ohms. At the time of the video the speakers were running full range but I have since switched it over to hipass and it is a tad louder and clearer. The no wake buoy is over 100 feet from the camera.

http://vimeo.com/19816809

EarmarkMarine
02-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Those are easily loud enough to get the attention of the lake association!
When powered well, and those are, one pair of HollowPoint 770s definitely will get it done at wake range. I have to wonder why anyone would need more than two pair of these 770s. The HP 770s have a warmer balance as compared to most HLCDs and certainly over 6.5-inch coaxial HLCDs. Plus, they have a very low hang height (only 8.75" max) and really snug up to the tower.
On another note, Granbury sure is a beautiful lake/river, especially in North Texas. You could almost mistake it for a more northern lake like Michigan or the NW. We visited just a couple of months ago.

David
Earmark Marine

bzubke1
02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Thats actually the brazos river north of the lake, but I agree it is beautiful. One pair is definatley plenty and lucklily i've never been hastled about the music being too loud. I'd like to eventually upgrade and add another pair just because I think it looks better to have 4 speakers on a tower then two. One Of the main reasons I went with the bullets was their sleek look and low hang height. There's only an inch or less of clearance between the z5 and the speakers so I'm not sure any other HLCD's would fit without tinkering with the z5 a little bit.

EarmarkMarine
02-12-2011, 01:03 AM
bzubke1,
You may find this interesting.
In an open field environment surface area rules, especially in tower speakers. But size and hang height can be a problem.
The HollowPoint pods are narrow and deep so they provide the necessary displacement yet hang tight to the tower.
When you compare the various sizes of tower HLCDs and take the moving cone diameter (less the surround) to determine the true surface area here is what you get:
A 7.7" has 53 percent more surface area than a 6.5" HLCD. Two pair of 7.7s will still have slightly more surface area than three pair of 6.5s. This is a major gain.
An 8" has 20 percent more surface area than a 7.7" HLCD. This is a marginal gain.
Considering the above the HP 770 HLCD is a little giant.

David
Earmark Marine

rdlangston13
02-12-2011, 02:12 AM
if you get on youtube mike has a video of him testing his xm7s. its pretty amazing. he is on the trailer and they drive off slowly while turning up the volume slowly and the sound just never changes!

rdlangston13
02-12-2011, 02:15 AM
however that does sound really good! makes me curious how my SXT65Qs will be once i get them mounted. i better not hate myself for not order the XM7s

you da man
02-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I always wondered what mine 2 pair of 770's sounds like at 100+ ft. Never had a chance to test that. Maybe I'll just take my boat to my friends property and crank it up and just walk back and listen.

kaneboats
02-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I like to test that stuff in a school parking lot during school hours. Teachers hate it but the kids all know who the cool Dad is then. ;-)

jmvotto
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I always wondered what mine 2 pair of 770's sounds like at 100+ ft. Never had a chance to test that. Maybe I'll just take my boat to my friends property and crank it up and just walk back and listen.

YDM, check out the HP video on the http://www.bulletspeakers.com/ looks like a good match for your system.

eamarks HP video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWv-39ftIZo

Bzubke1, they sound great and should deliver the sound you need.

Kane, I wanna see that video...:p

EarmarkMarine
02-13-2011, 09:25 AM
The above Earmark video was at 440 feet with 150 watts to each HollowPoint 770.
Btw, Bullet HollowPoint has a great surf 770 coaxial which provides over 50 percent more cone surface area versus a 6.5". Yet it has less hang height than most 6.5" pods.

David
Earmark Marine