PDA

View Full Version : Trailer coupling guide poles

aaroncat
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
A couple of months ago I came across this very simple product on the web that aids in coupling your vehicle to your trailer. It was simply 2 poles; 1 that attached (magnetically) to the trailer coupler and the other to the hitch ball. Then as you reverse you can get a better visual. When the flags touch you are there.

After nailing the rear bumper of my tow vehicle today with the coupler I started searching for this online and couldn't find it. Does anyone know what this product is called?

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes, it is called the POS that falls off because the magnets are crap.

thesack
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Personally the flags and magnets sound like a gimmeck and not a real solution. A better option is an aftermarket backup camera for your tow vehicle. Not only do they make it easy to hook up the trailer, but they also make it safer for backing up in parking lots and out of driveways.

brain_rinse
02-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, it is called the POS that falls off because the magnets are crap.
LOL! That sounds great, where can I buy?!

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I think Ed found one of those backup cams for around $75 at Pep Boys or somewhere last year. They work great and have a "cool" factor too. You can probably tell your car insurer you have one and get a discount.

Txskyski
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know if they have these where you're at, but here in Texas you can find them at Harbor Freight. I bought some when they were on sale for around $3.00. I have used it a couple of times and it works great. It's just two telescoping poles with magnets on one end and tennis balls on the other. When the tennis balls touch, voila, trailer is right where it needs to be.

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Quick search of amazon and found a camera system for $47. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/PLCM36-Universal-Monitor-License-Rearview/dp/B0037WNONS/ref=sr_1_4?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1297276743&sr=1-4

wolfeman131
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
here, try this out vs banging your balls together to hook up your boat :)

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7514&highlight=camera

mmandley
02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I use these

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-hitch/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html

Its a foam ball on a telescopping rod. The magnets are very good.

I wouldnt mind the camera but i can say i dont need another screen on my dash. I also dont like the look of a camera on my license plate bracket.

These are easy to use and can be used all the time and kept in the truck.

I can tell you a camera isnt much good at night even with back up lights on the truck, or at least the people i have been with that have the camera dont like them at night.

I have auto sensors on my bumper for when im backing up and they have never failed me when backing up my truck, and trust me backing up a truck thats 23 FT long you need every inch in a parking lot LOL

KG's Supra24
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a camera in my license plate (no permanent hole). I paid 100 for it probably 3 years ago and it has night vision (or some form of night lighting). It works just as good at night as it does during the day.

aaroncat
02-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys but I really am looking for those poles and not another camera. My tow rig has 5 cameras but the rear one doesn't have a decent view of the ball mount. On my cell right now but I will check out the links when I get home :)

lsvboombox
02-09-2011, 05:26 PM
you can try something like this. its a detachable self aligning hitch..

http://toolmonger.com/2009/07/29/self-aligning-trailer-hitch-guide/

kaneboats
02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys but I really am looking for those poles and not another camera. My tow rig has 5 cameras but the rear one doesn't have a decent view of the ball mount. On my cell right now but I will check out the links when I get home :)

Wonder if you could re-aim it slightly?

moombadaze
02-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I had those balls and magnet too. Did not work once!

Waste of money just like that battery operated oil pump changer

KG's Supra24
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM

What is the tow rig? I can come up with one in each side mirror and 1 in the back. Guess it has more in the back or perhaps another safety one or two on the side?

Would the ball show if you changed your hitch? Mine didn't catch it when i had a drop hitch but when i switched to level hitch it is right on the money.

mmandley
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
IDK i have no issues with the ball and rod method.

I place one on the trailer just behind the locking plate for the coupler. Then i set the other right behind the ball on my hitch on the truck. Then back up and line up the 2 balls and when the ball on the truck leans forward i stop and dead nuts every time.

aaroncat
02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
you can try something like this. its a detachable self aligning hitch..

http://toolmonger.com/2009/07/29/self-aligning-trailer-hitch-guide/

This is neat but I cant afford to move my trailer even a 1/4 inch back. The wakeplate touches my water heater and the transom is flush against my furnace

aaroncat
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Wonder if you could re-aim it slightly?

Went out and had an attempt. Doesn't want to move :(

aaroncat
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
What is the tow rig? I can come up with one in each side mirror and 1 in the back. Guess it has more in the back or perhaps another safety one or two on the side?

Would the ball show if you changed your hitch? Mine didn't catch it when i had a drop hitch but when i switched to level hitch it is right on the money.

Range Rover Sport. The 5 mirrors are for off-roading assistance and all have this weird wide-angle fish eye style lens. 2 in the front (left and right). 1 on each mirror aimed straight down (for those days when you are driving along a cliff face :) ). 1 on the rear which is actually up near the top brake light looking down (with the wide angle lens it actually lets me see more than you would think but doesnt let me see the hitch ball in relation to the coupler when reversing.

I already have a 4" rise ball mount so no go with changing the hitch.

aaroncat
02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
here, try this out vs banging your balls together to hook up your boat :)

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7514&highlight=camera

Lol! Missed this one the first time. :D

kaneboats
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Range Rover Sport. The 5 mirrors are for off-roading assistance and all have this weird wide-angle fish eye style lens. 2 in the front (left and right). 1 on each mirror aimed straight down (for those days when you are driving along a cliff face :) ). 1 on the rear which is actually up near the top brake light looking down (with the wide angle lens it actually lets me see more than you would think but doesnt let me see the hitch ball in relation to the coupler when reversing.

I already have a 4" rise ball mount so no go with changing the hitch.

I think you already have a camera back there. All you need is a small mirror you can get at a dollar store and a strip of velcro. Stick the mirror in the right spot (like ion the winch post) so you can see the hitch using the camera you already have. Leave a tiny piece of velcro on the trailer and toss the mirror in your center console.