PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Texas Moomba Jam

rdlangston13
02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
So I Kaneboats gave me the motivation and idea to try an organize a Moomba gathering here in the Lonestar State for Moomba owners who live here or owners from other states who want to experience Texas.

If anyone has any lakes and weekends in mind that would be good please post. I was thinking maybe a centrally located lake such as Travis or Canyon Lake.

KG's Supra24
02-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Here is a good start ...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13617&highlight=memorial

Not sure if you were wanting to do another weekend or what.

kaneboats
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm so proud of you! I'll even come to your 3rd annual event in person.

cmtaylor777
02-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Here is a good start ...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13617&highlight=memorial

Not sure if you were wanting to do another weekend or what.

Our group for Memorial day is getting bigger and bigger. We have managed to reserve a large protion of the campsite so we will have a good area to hang out. I think we are up to around 10 or so boats so far.

Feel free to join.

bzubke1
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Bethy Creek Resort on the trinity by lake livingston. Has cabins and a cable system. I've never been but have only heard great things.
http://www.bethycreek.com/

Hamm Creek Park on the brazos north of Lake Whitney is really nice spot. Great place to ride and camp, they have nice bathrooms close to all the campsites but sometimes the water can get low in the summer.

KG's Supra24
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm so proud of you! I'll even come to your 3rd annual event in person.

Whoa, that is is on paper! This better not be one of those posts that mysteriously deletes.

you da man
02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
What's funny is that on Lake Belton, my good friends and I have an XLV and LSV but we've had 4 other Moombas within eye shot of each other and don't even know each other.

cmtaylor777
02-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Thats kinda like our Supra group. A few of us ended up living pretty close to each other. Now my boat stays at Dusty's house. Turns out we all get along pretty well.

you da man
02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Thats kinda like our Supra group. A few of us ended up living pretty close to each other. Now my boat stays at Dusty's house. Turns out we all get along pretty well.

The Moombas we've seen on Lake Belton are pretty dedicated boarders and surfers...no party boats or tubes at all. I've even pulled up to one LSV who was having a hard time keeping their surfer up so I loaned them my two extra 400lbs sacs on pump.

rdlangston13
02-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok so memorial day weekend would not be good for me since i am pretty sure ill be working then. my work schedule is actually pretty unpredictable at this point which kind of sucks.

i like the idea of livingston since it is close to me haha. whitney is also good (i like the cliff jumping).

you da man would you be willing to leave belton for a weekend?

kaneboats
02-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Don't forget the pics and vids or it didn't happen.

KG's Supra24
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Here is last years crew but from the way Chad (cmtaylor) talks, it seems to have grown quite a bit.

http://supraboats.com/bbs/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=1128

dusty2221
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
i "grew up" and got a 24.

bzubke1
02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
My only problem with memorial day is the fact that its memorial day. Rd, the cliff jumping area on whitney is at least an hour boat ride from hamm creek park if not more. The two spots I put out are probably not going to be good for tubing and things of that nature becuase they are somewhat narrow rivers but would be great for flat water.

Any ideas in central texas?

you da man
02-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Lake Belton will be so overcrowded with amateurs on the water and jet skis. However, the Moomba family is growing on Lake Belton. There's usually 4 Moombas in the same area every weekend. Lake Travis would be the best bet for Central Texas. Lots of coves and places to go on the water. Plus it's just a long body of water.

rdlangston13
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
please, call me David.

Ok well cliff jumping is not a priority, that's just my pre boat owning memory of whitney haha.

i think we are all agreeing that it should not be memorial day weekend due to scheduling conflicts and the simple fact that it will be way crowded. how about the weekend of july 22, 23, and 24? or maybe june 17 18 and 19. doesnt have to be all three days.

and i have never been to lake travis so i am kind of interested in checking it out however that resort on livingston with the cable system sounds good too

skylar18
02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I vote for lake Travis!!!!!!!!

(Where my boat is)

rdlangston13
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
does that mean you are interested in going skylar?

skylar18
02-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't have a trailer.....Boat just stays in dry stck at Travis. If it was at Travis I definitly would go! Pretty much the only weekends we are not on the lake is the holiday weekends.

skylar18
02-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Travis has the best party cove in the country.....Devils Cove, plus a bunch of restaurants on the lake with dock parking.

bzubke1
02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Can you get flat water on travis on a weekend? I would like to take the boat somewhere with decently clear water for once i'm just worried about dragging the boat that far and not being able to find any good water to board.

skylar18
02-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes but it is a bit tricky.

We wakeboard on Saturday and Sunday mornings before 10, then surf until noon, then hit the party coves. Usually around 5 you can wakeboard again. We usually don't even plan on wakeboarding between 10 and 5 on weekends, then if we get lucky and find a calm stretch it is a bonus.

The later in the summer the calmer it gets. June is rougher than July due to more people on the lake and a bit more wind.

rdlangston13
02-08-2011, 06:59 PM
well we could plan for july but it will be hotter outside so i was thinking june would be more comfortable. i would like to include everyone that i can so travis sounds good to me since you dont have a trailer.

any good places to camp out at travis?

bzubke1
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I know you can camp at pace bend park on travis. My vote goes for the trinity. Every thread on wakeworld for the best places to ride in texas always has the trinity as one of the best places to ride any time of year and they have a cable park. I guess it just depends what everyone wants to do. If people want to mostly party and socialize Travis is probably the best, but if it's pure riding you're after i don't think you can beat the trinity and the brazos.

http://indianlodge.com/ This is a resort on the brazos.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637888&highlight=trinity

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549345&highlight=trinity

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656636&highlight=trinity

KG's Supra24
02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
To those of yall that don't mind driving and are looking for GREAT water. Don't forget brostock on Bull Shoals is late June.

rdlangston13
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
well i don't know the skill level of everyone but i know for sure you are a way better rider than me since i have only been up on a wake board one haha. im not too concerned with hard core riding for myself since i am not very good. i am just more interested in going out and having a good time no matter where we go. i tend to lean towards travis just so we can include skylar but at the same time i dont want you or anyone else to not come because you want better boarding water. livingston is great for me since it is so much closer to where i live haha. im not picky about where tho, just when.

so far it looks like this

bzubke1-a river, possibly trinity at livingston
skylar18- travis, does not have a trailer
rdlangston13- where ever the beer is
you da man-??
dusty2221-??
KG's Supra24-??
CMTaylor777- ??

jbhale
02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Bethy Creek Resort on the Trinity River is a great place to have a reunion. Tige and Centurion both have their reunions there each year. The owner Randall Vincent Jr. is an avid wakeboarder and has cabins to stay in as well as full hook up camping sites. I am the co-owner of ERC Wakeboard cables and he has one of our 2 tower systems at the campsite set up on a private lake with obstacles. I am sure he would give special rates to the group for the weekend. There is a big pavilion for get togethers. You wont find any better water to board on in Texas than the Trinity River. It is miles of smooth water all day long. It is definitely worth chcking out.

rdlangston13
02-09-2011, 01:26 PM
you da man, what do you think about bethy creek??

STANG KILLA SS
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM
im going to try to make the memorial day supra meet. g/f gets off at midnight friday. so not sure on traveling plans.

02Outback
02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I am interested in an event depending on location. I am in Houston so I am not sure about the trip to Lake Travis - even though it's a wonderful lake.

I would really be interested in Bethy Creek. I've never been but I heard the water is great out there at Trinity.

rdlangston13
02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Ok I am thinking that we will try and plan for Bethy Creek on Lake Livingston due to the added bonus of running the river and the availability of the cable park. Weekend will be June 17, 18, 19

02Outback
02-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to this.

I am sure if we plan enough ahead, we can make everything work out perfectly as far as people, camping/cabins, etc.

I most likely will not do the cable park since I never have. I can barely do a wake to wake jump behind a boat, haha.

And please excuse my 02' Outback DD while out there..good looking boat, just not a LSV (WHICH I SHOULD HAVE GOT!!!!) grr

bzubke1
02-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I should be able to make it any of the weekends.

STANG KILLA SS
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
my vote is for lake travis. the other lake is such a huge open water like its gonna be like the ocean with the lightest wind. and the rollers will go on for miles.

travis is more river like. mostly all protected from the wind, and the passages will have a bank for the rollers to die into.

bzubke1
02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Behty Creek is technically on lake livingston but if you check it out on google maps it is in a bay right off the trinity river. From everything I've heard and read it is 25-40 feet deep the whole way and you can ride one way on the river until you reach a half a tank and then turn around and come back and have butter the whole time. I personally think bethy creek would be better for getting flat water plus they have the cable, but I would still go if it was at travis.

dusty2221
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
We wont be able to make this trip. We are going to Brostock at Bull Shoals lake at the end of June for a full week. Maybe next time.

KG's Supra24
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
^ what he said :D

bzubke1
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Im really trying to go to brostock as well, didn't realize it was the same weekend.

dusty2221
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Its the following weekend, but we are leaving Tuesday for it, and staying thru Sunday.

rdlangston13
02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
bzubke1 well let me know as soon as you know what you are going to do for sure (brostock or bethy creek) im going to email bethy creek today for group rates.

STANG KILLA SS lake livingston is connected to the trinity and you can ride up the river and it is supposedly some of the best boarding/skiing in Texas.

jbhale
02-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Bethy Creek Resort is actually on the Trinity River above Lake Livingston. It is protected from the wind, really smooth water and goes on forever. The Gulf Coast Wakeboard Association has some good pictures of boarding on the river and of riding on the cable if you want to check it out. www.gcwa.com
The cable at Bethy creek is a 2 tower system that you ride back and forth on in a continuous motion. Between the towers are obstacles that you can hit if you want but don't have to. You can also do air tricks from the tension on the cable. If any of you go to the Dallas Boat Show this weekend, you can see the cable set up in tent#2. We are pulling kids on it to get them interested in the sport.

bzubke1
02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
You can count me in for bethy creek.

Here's a link to a bunch of pictures on the trinity.
http://www.gcwa.com/dispmedia.asp?medpath=media-2003-oct_fallbash-&pagetitle=GCWA Fall Bash on the Trinity

rdlangston13
02-12-2011, 01:47 AM
sounds good. im going to have at least 4 people (myself included) their, possible more depending on if the family wants to come

rdlangston13
02-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Called Bethy Creek today and made my reservation for the weekend. They do not do group discounts do to the fact that they will be full regardless so if you plan on attending you might want to call and book yourself a room or camp ground asap! 2 nights in a room went for 238.

bzubke1
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
What were the final dates decided on?

STANG KILLA SS
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
yeah us out of towners need dates and a address.

rdlangston13
02-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Right, that makes sense.

Dates: Friday June 17-Sunday June 19.

Address is
136 Shorewood Drive
Riverside, TX 77367
(936) 594-2511

web site : www.bethycreek.com

rdlangston13
03-07-2011, 02:24 AM
just realized today that the 19th is fathers day...does this create a conflict for anything?

STANG KILLA SS
03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
we definatly cant make that weekend. we REALLY want to attend. any chance of a reschedule?

STANG KILLA SS
03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
any word? thoughts?

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
yes, since im back offshore and not in Oklahoma my summer has opened up alot more.

How does July 15-17 work for everyone? Basically just one month later

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
That would definatly be better for me. Our wakeboarding team at Tarleton only does one contest a year and its on memorial day weekend at Lake Texoma. With my new job I'm not sure how cool they would be about taking two weekends off so close together. I'm not even sure I will be able to get off for the contest.

KG's Supra24
04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
^ Where on texoma is said contest? I am going to be down there that weekend (big gathering at platter) and would love to watch some wakeboarding.

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Awesome, well I will call and change my reservation to that weekend then. I suggest that yall make your reservations ASAP. 02 Outback is staying with me but he sold his boat so he will be right on mine.

KG's Supra24
04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Are any of yall going to try to make the Texoma trip for memorial?

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm guessing Mill Creek Marina is where it will be held. That's where it was last year, I'm told. I'm gonna have make sure I can get off for the bethy creek get together before I make a reservation. But I'm just gonna do the tent camping thing so hopefully those spots don't fill up too fast.

tnbrooks01
04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
^ Where on texoma is said contest? I am going to be down there that weekend (big gathering at platter) and would love to watch some wakeboarding.

Red Bull Boarder Wars....... Mill Creek Marina

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114939078528546

Debating on making the trip down from the Tulsa area for this one.

cmtaylor777
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Nice... i didn't know there ws a contest out there. Would love to hang out and watch. I am sure the rest of the group wold enjoy as well.

All is welcome for Memorial day. Should be a great time.

pickle311
04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm a little late getting in on this, but thought I'd offer up some suggestions for you.
I'm in Austin and go out on Travis and Austin regularly. For an event like this, I'd highly suggest the north end of Lake Travis so you can ride the Pedernales River. There's not much traffic up this way because it's a haul from the party coves. On a Saturday, you can ride the river all day long and not have any issues with rough water. It's the best spot near Austin. There's also 3 boat ramps within the vicinity. You can put in at Camp Pedernales which puts you right in the area where the river runs into Travis. You can use the ramp at Pace Bend park, huge park with great camping areas. Or you can put in at Gloster Bend, this is where I typically go because it's on the north side where I live. The others require driving all the way through south Austin.
Only problem with Gloster Bend is there's no boat dock, but it's only a 5 minute ride to get on the Pedernales from there. After dropping the boat in and parking the trailer, you have to swim out to the boat. I got a little too close here last year and hit my prop on the edge of the ramp after the lake levels had dropped. I won't use this ramp when the lake level is below 670.

Wherever you guys decide, I'll do my best to make it. If you also want to get out of Central Texas, look at Lake Amistad. My all time favorite lake. It's a drive, but it feels like a vacation out there.

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm a little late getting in on this, but thought I'd offer up some suggestions for you.
I'm in Austin and go out on Travis and Austin regularly. For an event like this, I'd highly suggest the north end of Lake Travis so you can ride the Pedernales River. There's not much traffic up this way because it's a haul from the party coves. On a Saturday, you can ride the river all day long and not have any issues with rough water. It's the best spot near Austin. There's also 3 boat ramps within the vicinity. You can put in at Camp Pedernales which puts you right in the area where the river runs into Travis. You can use the ramp at Pace Bend park, huge park with great camping areas. Or you can put in at Gloster Bend, this is where I typically go because it's on the north side where I live. The others require driving all the way through south Austin.
Only problem with Gloster Bend is there's no boat dock, but it's only a 5 minute ride to get on the Pedernales from there. After dropping the boat in and parking the trailer, you have to swim out to the boat. I got a little too close here last year and hit my prop on the edge of the ramp after the lake levels had dropped. I won't use this ramp when the lake level is below 670.

Wherever you guys decide, I'll do my best to make it. If you also want to get out of Central Texas, look at Lake Amistad. My all time favorite lake. It's a drive, but it feels like a vacation out there.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will see about maybe hitting that up next year but for this even I have already made my nonrefundable deposit at Bethy Creek and I think some guys were looking forward to trying out the cable park. If I ever head up there to travis though maybe you can show me around the lake?

pickle311
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and I will see about maybe hitting that up next year but for this even I have already made my nonrefundable deposit at Bethy Creek and I think some guys were looking forward to trying out the cable park. If I ever head up there to travis though maybe you can show me around the lake?

Sure thing man, I've heard Bethy Creek is great. I'll have to look into it. I'll try to make it out there and meet you guys but can't commit to anything until it's closer due to my wifes work schedule.

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Sure thing man, I've heard Bethy Creek is great. I'll have to look into it. I'll try to make it out there and meet you guys but can't commit to anything until it's closer due to my wifes work schedule.

just leave her at home! haha

STANG KILLA SS
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
great news on the date change. we should have no problems attending now.
so how many boats do we have attending?

so far:
rdlandston13
STANG KILLA SS
anyone else?

rdlangston13
04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
rdlangston13
stangkillass
bzubke1
02outbackV - but he will be on my boat
bhowell - is a maybe
pickle331 - is a maybe
I have some friends from dallas with an outback who are going to try and make it

there are alot of houston are and tx members. ill send some PM's to see what we can come up with. even if eveyone cancels ill still be there. I'll have fun alone, i dont care! haha

rdlangston13
04-11-2011, 05:42 PM
rdlangston13
stangkillass
bzubke1
02outbackV - but he will be on my boat
bhowell - is a maybe
pickle331 - is a maybe
TL7- couldn't go with the old dates, have not heard from him on the new dates

I have some friends from dallas with an outback who are going to try and make it

adsman??
youdaman??

pickle311
04-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I talked to my wife about it and she said it sounds fun. I've got a few friends that would probably come as well, in my boat of course.

rdlangston13
04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Sounds good man, should be a fun a weekend!

pickle311
05-19-2011, 02:12 PM
bumping this back up, it should be a great weekend and I'm really hoping to make it.

02Outback
05-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Was at Bethy Creek/Trinity this past weekend and I have to say this is one of the best places, if not the best places to ride. Nice area.

I can't wait for this event!

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
so bhowell tore his achillis tendon playing football so i dont reckon he will be making it out in his boat. or well, at least not being pulled by HIS boat

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 01:23 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3713
Gassing up the morning we headed out. After this picture was taken we actually headed back to house to wait out a storm. My bilge pump turned on in the driveway...

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3714
finally got her launched

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3715
this is the cove where bethy creek is

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 01:25 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3716
nothing like an early morning BL to get you going!

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3717
trying to chase down my dad on his new wave runner....ha yeah right

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3718
this is what we woke up too every morning

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3719
cody is diggin my new coolies i got via Ian's group buy

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3720

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3721

rdlangston13
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3722

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=451&pictureid=3723

bzubke1
05-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the pics, looks awesome. Can't wait to check it out.

rdlangston13
05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
It seems that there have been a giant influx of Texans on the board since the start of summer. I just thought I would bring this back up front and refill some details for those of you just now joining.

We are having a Texas Moomba owners jam much like what they had in Clermont, FL recently but better. I hope to make this an annual event in the future. Here are some of the details.

Location: Bethy Creek Resort, Riverside, TX. If you do not know where this is it is about 15 miles east of Huntsville off of Hwy 19 right on the Trinity River just before Lake Livingston. Bethy Creek is a park for wakeboarders built and owned by wakeboarders. It includes a endless cable ride cable park, cabins, tent camp sits, as well as powered rv campsites. They have their own boat ramp and docks. www.bethycreek.com

Date: July 15-17

Gottop69
05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Does anyone go to dallas area lakes to meet up.. Like hubard ( Trash ) or cedar creek, Tawahkani <-- Spell check

KG's Supra24
05-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice pics RD, got me excited about the weekend!

Gottop69, there is a large get together (approx 10 boats) this weekend (Memorial) at Lake Texoma.

rdlangston13
05-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Does anyone go to dallas area lakes to meet up.. Like hubard ( Trash ) or cedar creek, Tawahkani <-- Spell check

I will be on a Dallas lake on Thursday, June 9th and Sunday June 12th. Not sure which one yet though, they all look to be pretty full so I am not too worried about levels but whats the best as far as restaurants on the water and not a lot of stumps or places to run into submerged obsticals?

STANG KILLA SS
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
whew thought i missed this. just got back from the Supra Reunion in Oklahoma this weekend.

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 01:39 PM
whew thought i missed this. just got back from the Supra Reunion in Oklahoma this weekend.

Glad you are still going to make it! Where are all the pictures from the supra reunion??

02Outback
06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
ttt

Coming up soon! This should be a good one!

KG's Supra24
06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Glad you are still going to make it! Where are all the pictures from the supra reunion??

Several of them are posted in the June picture thread.

02Outback
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Do we have an update on how many people are coming?

Who has reserved cabins/camp sites?

I know myself (Cody) and rdlangston (David) will be there, on his boat.

rdlangston13
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Do we have an update on how many people are coming?

Who has reserved cabins/camp sites?

I know myself (Cody) and rdlangston (David) will be there, on his boat.

Looks like it will be:
rdlangston13 (me)
StangKillaSS (cory)
Bzubke1 (brandon)
Matt75
Pickle311

next summer maybe we can try some place on travis if this goes well!

02Outback
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Looks like it will be:
rdlangston13 (me)
StangKillaSS (cory)
Bzubke1 (brandon)
Matt75
Pickle311

Sounds great.

So, 5 boats? Have they reserved their cabins/campsites yet?

rdlangston13
06-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Sounds great.

So, 5 boats? Have they reserved their cabins/campsites yet?

I don't know. I have and that is all I am really concerned with. Although now I probable don't need it since we have a lake house 12 miles away... lol

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 03:44 PM
bzubke1 is a no go

skylar18
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Looks like it will be:
rdlangston13 (me)
StangKillaSS (cory)
Bzubke1 (brandon)
Matt75
Pickle311

If there is friggen water in Travis by then......

MikeyMike
06-24-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a wedding that weekend that I'm going to try and get of! LOL It's 9th and 10th?

rdlangston13
06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I have a wedding that weekend that I'm going to try and get of! LOL It's 9th and 10th?

the next weekend 15-17!

MikeyMike
06-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Now I could very do that! I'll start checking work to make sure I can get away!