PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious trailer damage

aaroncat
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
With a rare sunny Seattle day today, I decided to take the boat out on the freeway to test out the new tow rig before the season starts...

Prior to leaving, I wiped down a bunch of dust from the trailer and everything was in perfect (undamaged) condition.

I then took the boat out for a 10 minute drive down the freeway and back. Note that I have to reverse up my drive way to get the boat into the garage and it is a slight incline from the road to the garage.

When decoupling the trailer I walked past the left side of the boat and noticed the rear left wheel arch was buckled in. Now I drove with the windows open the entire way to make sure there were no creaks, squeals etc with the new tow rig and I am certain that I did not hit anything (also, there are no external marks on the wheel arch to indicate an external collision). I have a feeling that this was possibly caused by the wheel bouncing off the wheel arch and buckling it (again, no evidence of this on the tire), though it looks almost impossible when the trailer is on level ground (there is alot of clearance between the wheel and the metal!).

Has this happened to anyone before?

Any ideas on why this might have happened?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/aaroncat_2008/Moomba%20Forums/IMG_0762.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/aaroncat_2008/Moomba%20Forums/IMG_0761.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/aaroncat_2008/Moomba%20Forums/IMG_0760.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/aaroncat_2008/Moomba%20Forums/IMG_0759.jpg

aaroncat
02-02-2011, 08:49 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/aaroncat_2008/Moomba%20Forums/IMG_0758.jpg

you da man
02-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Uh oh, maybe the dreaded failed torsion axle.

Mikes
02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
That is strange,the tire looks fine but if you look closely the white paint on the side of the fender looks like it scraped against something.

you da man
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
But usually the wheel with draw up into the fender, not like yours and look normal.

mmandley
02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Couple ideas come to mind. If you look at the tire in the first and second pictures it looks like the tire shine is missing. Not sure if that was on the ground when you shined the tires or not but that could be an impact point. Also looking at those corner treads you can see a slight grove in them.

Im almost temped to say you caught a curb on a corner and bounced that tire right into the fender.

You mentioned a new tow truck? Is it longer then your last one?

I don't think its the dreaded torsion axle failure or it would be stuffed in the fender right now.

Other wise only thing i can think of is if that tire is low on air and flexed around a turn, you also mention the drive way you have to back up it. Is it an Incline? Does the rear axle ever leave the ground putting all the pressure on the front axle?

aaroncat
02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Yeh, I don't think its the torsion axle, everything looks to be spaced correctly.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but those marks appear (in person) to be crease marks from the buckling. Note that there is a larger scratch on the piece of metal that is between the 2 wheel arches but that is from a known event (where only superficial damage was inflicted).

Both my towing rigs have been smaller SUVs. From an E70 X5 to a Range Rover Sport. I don't think much changed except that the trailer meets the ball mount about 1.5" higher than it previously did. The trailer still appears level to the human eye but a level tool tells me that its aiming up at the tongue.

Tire pressure was all at approximately 45 psi (checked before driving). With a max of 50 psi marked on the tire I would guess 45 is about right. Is it?

And yeh, the driveway is an incline but nothing too severe. I guess I'll have to get a mate over and spot me as I *slowly* try different reversing angles.

DOCDRS
02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
It appears this is on the left rear axel tire well. I would check your rear cross prop guard on the trailer to see if it has bottomed out. Maybe, driving out the end of your driveway the front axel lifted off the ground and making perhaps a right turn out of your driveway or backing into your driveway making a left turn which could put more pressure on the left rear tire forcing it up into the fender.......my02

kaneboats
02-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Check the mailbox.

JesseC
02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
It appears this is on the left rear axel tire well. I would check your rear cross prop guard on the trailer to see if it has bottomed out. Maybe, driving out the end of your driveway the front axel lifted off the ground and making perhaps a right turn out of your driveway or backing into your driveway making a left turn which could put more pressure on the left rear tire forcing it up into the fender.......my02

I did this with my previous boat and trailer. My vote is for this being the cause as well.

zabooda
02-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Yep, tire hit the fender and pushed it in. Excessively large speed bumps at a faster than normal speed???? Cut a turn too tight and hit a curb??? Drive the route again and check it out.

aaroncat
02-03-2011, 04:34 PM
another variable to add to the mystery...

someone hit your trailer while parked at a ramp parking lot and you never noticed till now?

I had that happen, went down to the storage area where I keep my boat and the starboard fender had a small dent.

I think someone backed their whatever into my trailer

Do you reckon a regular body shop would do the repair work for this sort of thing or would I have to go to a trailer joint?

moombadaze
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Just unbolt the fender and take it to the body shop and have it fixed, no need for the boat to sit at the bodyshop

zabooda
02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I had my fender fixed this fall when someone backed into the front of the fender. One body shop doesn't do trailers but another one did. The estimate was to replace the fender (single axel) but the fender is welded on and I had the boat on the trailer but I loaded it away from that fender but it was still too close for a cutting torch. They did a fanastic job of straightening it out and it was much worse than what you have. The problem is one fender looks much better than the other and is obvious with the boat off the trailer. It still cost me the deductable and it was a $1,000 total to do the work. Personally, I would try to pull it out myself and use some touch up paint if needed.

mmandley
02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
You can also just buy a new fender for a couple hundred off the boat-mate site. Then take it to the body shop get it sprayed. Then re-bolt it shouldn't be more then 500 i think

jimmobius
02-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Thought I would post up , it won't make you feel any better but here goes. We were leaving for lake powell one time with the boat and had to make a stop for something . Anyway we were leaving the store and turning onto the main street. I stopped the rig kind of in the middle of the street so I could swing it to make a right turn. Did the turn , was driving down the street and my friend says " I think you hit a car with the boat trailer" . Well I didn't feel it nor did I look in the right hand mirror on the truck when I turned. No one got a citation and we continued on . It did dent the fender but not too bad. Never did fix it and sold the boat to buy my current Moomba.
Jim

mmandley
02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Ahhh HAAA now i know who owns the Moomba that hit me a couple years ago. Dammit man i had to drop 80 bucks for a new turn signal because i tried to squeeze past you. :cool:

jimmobius
02-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Oh yea right...