PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding factory style switch

harmsway
02-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I need help finding a factory looking switch for a light bar that I am installing on the tower. The light bar has 5 lights & I am going to wire three light foward & 2 lights towards the rear with seperate throws.
So I need an on-off-on switch that is illuminated when on & preferably with a light symbol on it. But if it was blank that would be Ok.

I have been looking on the web but I haven't been able to locate anything with the same cover as the Moomba. Any help would be appreciated.

dusty2221
02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Carling Technologies makes the switches. In my Supra, it is the "Contura Series"

I spent about an hour one day looking at over 100 different designs om the switches just by doin a google search. Try that, it should solve your issue.

KG's Supra24
02-02-2011, 02:13 AM
As dusty was going through endless pages I called the local dealer. They had a switch that was on off on and said accesory. I think it was 20 bucks if I remember correctly. Give it a shot.

harmsway
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks..
I have been looking on the web but could not find anything that match the covers exactly. So I did break down & call the nearest dealer 60 miles away. They had one in stock and was willing to ship it to me and was able to get a few other odds & ends at the same time. Should of checked with dealer to start with.
Thanks again.

JesseC
02-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. I did something similar to you and aimed 4 forwards and two reverse. I did it more for navigation at night. Be sure to use relays on your light bar so you do not burn out your switches.

Here is the one I built:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=4868

harmsway
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. I did something similar to you and aimed 4 forwards and two reverse. I did it more for navigation at night. Be sure to use relays on your light bar so you do not burn out your switches.

Here is the one I built:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=4868

Pretty slick custom build.

I actually have 2 light bars just have not decided which one I'm going to use yet. I will be using two seperate relays & 14 gauge wire. Someone on earlier post or somewhere I was reading also suggested running wires outside the tower in full length & make sure the wires do not heat up. I believe I'll follow that advise.

I have a ton of projects before the water warms up enough to jump in.
Last weekend I installed a depth finder, this weekend I'm installing a new stereo head, tower speakers & amp, then next weekend the light bar. Oh yeah an OJ 4 blade prop.

JesseC
02-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Someone on earlier post or somewhere I was reading also suggested running wires outside the tower in full length & make sure the wires do not heat up.

I don't know about the above statement. I saw alot of boats at the boat show of all makes and models with light bars, search lights and spot lights that handle way more power than anything we would ever put on our boats and not a single one of them had external wires. f you run too small a wire then you have to worry about heat. i may be wrong, but as long as you sized the wire properly heat will not be an issue. Think about all the wire underneath your cars hood that is sitting in 210 degree plus heat and still functions properly. Running too small a wire will definately cause you an issue, but wire sized properly can be put inside the tower with no issues. Mine are internal and I have used them for two years without issue. I just have a thing for "wireless" installs

harmsway
02-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't know about the above statement. I saw alot of boats at the boat show of all makes and models with light bars, search lights and spot lights that handle way more power than anything we would ever put on our boats and not a single one of them had external wires. f you run too small a wire then you have to worry about heat. i may be wrong, but as long as you sized the wire properly heat will not be an issue. Think about all the wire underneath your cars hood that is sitting in 210 degree plus heat and still functions properly. Running too small a wire will definately cause you an issue, but wire sized properly can be put inside the tower with no issues. Mine are internal and I have used them for two years without issue. I just have a thing for "wireless" installs

I should have been a little more clear. Running the wires on the outside in full length run on the outside of the tower was just to double check that there would not be a problem with wiring size and the wires weren't getting hot. Once the wire is inside the tower there is less access to be able to check for heat for extended on times. Believe me I am a stickler about after market installs looking factory and wires inside the tower is the only way to go. If all my calculations are correct I should have no probelms, but I always like to perform tests were I can. Doing it right the first time is easier then tearing thing back apart and redoing them.

JesseC
02-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I should have been a little more clear. Running the wires on the outside in full length run on the outside of the tower was just to double check that there would not be a problem with wiring size and the wires weren't getting hot. Once the wire is inside the tower there is less access to be able to check for heat for extended on times. Believe me I am a stickler about after market installs looking factory and wires inside the tower is the only way to go. If all my calculations are correct I should have no probelms, but I always like to perform tests were I can. Doing it right the first time is easier then tearing thing back apart and redoing them.

AAAhhhh ok! Now I can smell what your stepping in!!! I did the same thing when I installed mine. I should have figured that out, that's what I get for posting in the evening after drinking a few too many!!!