PDA

View Full Version : Towing an Outback

hanski
12-21-2004, 08:48 PM
I have covered all the bases and am ready to purchase an 05 Outback. I would like to tow it with my 2000 Ford Windstar van. It has the 3.8L engine with the tow package and is rated at 3500 lbs (boat trailer=3600).

From a financial standpoint I would love to pull it for 1 or 2 summers.

Most trips are 30 mi or less with 3-4 a summer at 100mi. Landings are all in pretty good shape

I have received so many conflicting "opinions".

Can I do it?

Does anyone know the tongue weight of the trailer/boat and the tongue weight max for my van.

Would I do better with an older F150 Pickup? TEMP. OPTION

BensonWdby
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Transmission rebuilds run around $2000. If you want to figure that into the cost of ownership and are comfortable doing 25 mph up inclines you are probably fine. I fried a 3.8L out of my Grand Caravan in short order pulling my 99 Mobius.

I would always try to pull no more than 80% rated. Remember you must also consider passengers and gear in the van as part of your weight.

My 2cts.
Dave

noneya
12-22-2004, 10:37 AM
If you are gonna do it, make sure and install a transmission cooler. I got mine put on @ uhaul for about $150. Does your trailer have breaks? If it doesnt I wouldnt do it, if it did...maybe.

BensonWdby
12-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Good advice from Noneya, but still not enough.
FWIW - I had added a Tranny cooler and heavy duty springs my G.Caravan. Trailer had brakes. Braking was not a problem. I think the tounge weight was around 150 lbs and that was pushing it even with the heavy duty springs. The Tranny - well $2K pretty much says it all..
Dave

smokedog2
12-22-2004, 07:48 PM
And when you blow a tire on the trailer, you are uh - sensored. My folks survived such an event, pulling more than they should but they totaled the trailer and the vehicle. They think a tire blew on the trailer, but it was so fast they do not really know.

food for thought

brentburtrum
12-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by smokedog2
They think a tire blew on the trailer, but it was so fast they do not really know.

How didn't they know, were all the tires inflated afterwords? ;-)

smokedog2
12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
They did have a blown tire after the wreck but it also happened as a semi went by. The connector between the car and trailer was also ripped from the car. They are not sure what went first, if anything. It is possible they caught an edge on the pavement and that was enough to pull the car rather than the car pull the trailer.

A friend hit a deer on the freeway last night as about 70 mph, no one was hurt but he was in an SUV (BMW x5). Combine that situation with too little car and too much weight and things could turn out differently. I guess my point is that the transmission could be the least of your worries.

Fly safe

azwakeboarder
12-28-2004, 12:53 AM
I pull a 2004 Mobius lsv with a 2003 Kia Sorento no problem!! We only drive about 15 miles to the lake though. Looking for a Blazer currently

sloppy
01-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I pulled mine for a while in a 97 Mercury Villager. I got nervous and bought a truck. You might get by with it but there is a good chance you will by a tranny. Chrysler is known for having issues with there transmissions.

Chief Hawkeye
01-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Think there would be any problems towing a Mobius LSV with a Nissan Frontier? It is a V-6, automatic tranny. Just bought a 2003 Mobius LSV and am hoping that I will not have to buy a new truck as well! most of our trips will be a few miles which I am not worried about. We will however be making a few longer trips up to northern MI to friends cabins where we would like to take the boat.

noneya
01-04-2005, 10:40 AM
My buddy tows my Outback LS with his frontier, he has the supercharged engine and a towing package. It works OK to tow a few miles down the road, but I wouldnt take it on a long trip or anywhere that is very hilly (dont have to worry about that too much down here).

sloppy
01-06-2005, 10:59 PM
You should be fine towing with a Frontier. I think they have a tow limit of 5000. The minivans usually have limit of 3500. Check your weight limit. If it is 5k, no problem. Nissan's are built great.