PDA

View Full Version : Outback V -vs- Mobius LSV?

Rusten
01-29-2011, 04:07 AM
We currently have a 2000 year Moomba Kanga, and have had many problems with the Carb'ed Indmar 350.

Although I'm a slalom skier, I now do about 60% wakeboard, 40% slalom (getting older an wakeboarding is much easier on the body, heheh).

We're trying to decide between the Outback V (plus performance back w/1200 lbs ballast) & Mobisu LSV. The only real difference I see, being the hull, where the Mobius has a sharper bow and 1' longer.

However ... In real-world terms of performance...

Does anyone have any objective information comparing the newer 20' Outback V hull (2010 & later?) versus the Mobius LSV -- for its wake qualities, both at wakeboarding & slalom speeds/wakeplate configurations?

Or, in simpler terms, if I'm going 22mph on an Outback V with 1200lbs ballast and wakeplate down, versus the same configuration in the Mobius LSV ... is there a significant difference in wake. On a similar note .. if I'm going 35mph on a Outback V with zero ballast and wakeplate up -- versus LSV ... is the difference significant there?

Thank you in advance!
-RKM

skiyaker
01-29-2011, 10:07 AM
This is sure to strike up some interesting conversation and revive the "can you really ski seriously behind a v drive" debate. I don't have experience with the newer OBV or LSV so I don't have any useful input there. I will say, however, that personally I've never found wakeboarding to be easier on my body than skiing- I've never had a concussion from skiing but I've taken a few tumbles on a wakeboard that have rung my freaking bell- to the point where I now wear a helmet. But then again that's like anything I've been skiing for a lot longer than I've been wakeboarding so it has to do with my lack of wakeboarding technique.

If I want to do something easy on my body I'll surf.

Rusten
01-29-2011, 10:22 AM
@skiyaker-
That's awesome. I too have had some pretty bad falls wakeboarding. Blown out my eardrum twice, once it was one day before an important meeting and I wound up with balance problems (equilbreium issues resulted), to the point where they thought I was on something!

Despite that, I was referring to the sheer strength it takes to ski the course. They both require strength in different ways, but very few sports require the sheer exertion of tournament skiing.

Going back on-topic ... There are 2 or 3 past debates on this; however, they took place prior to the re-design on the Outback V hull in the new 20' formfactor.

I have no idea whether the new 20' Outback Hull is better or worse than the original Outback, where the wake is concerned. Or whether it's better/worse for slalom. Or while I'm on the subject ... how the new 20' w/1200 lbs compares to the LSV (known for having a larger wake), and whether the LSV has undergone a hull change recently.

In short .. I'm really concerned with the the current version of the hull, which is the reason the old discussions don't apply as much. Hope that clarifies it a bit :-)

Razzman
01-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm no skier but a few in the family are and after an attempt or two behind my LSV they gave up and moved to another of the boats in the group. The LSV is a wakeboat primarily first and even with the wakeplate and distribution optimal it still doesn't clean up enough for clean skiing, slalom would hurt IMO.

Rusten
01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
That's great info, thank you.

The funny thing, if you look at the hull side-cut for the new Outback V which is being marketed as a crossover ... it's basically identical to the LSV, minus that 18". Now 18" in *length* shouldn't make that big of a difference in slalom wake at 32+ mph. So based on your reply, I'm worried about both options.

Do you happen to know whether the 2010 LSV shares the same hull with your 2007?

kaneboats
01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
06-11 LSV share the same hull. Go visit Ed G and get a slalom pull with the OBV and settle this thing once and for all.

Rusten
01-29-2011, 12:56 PM
@kaneboats - Thank you for the suggestion.

I wouldn't want to impose on Ed. And to be brutally honest, I think I'd embarass myself riding in one of Florida's colder winters -- in Clermont (us South Florida people are true whimps when it comes to that cold water stuff).

None the less, I've written Ed to see if he's got any suggestions.

dru1974
01-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I know Ed will chime in soon. He said that the outback v has an outstanding slalom wake.

moombadaze
01-29-2011, 10:07 PM
if, just if you time your visit to Ed just right, I could give a pull behind a LSV

kaneboats
01-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Or me, but you have to time it right on May 21. You'll probably be tired of your new boat by then though in S. Fla., right? Come on anyway and bring your new boat.

Rusten
01-30-2011, 02:25 PM
That's really nice, thank you all for the hospitality! I do plan to come up for the Moomba meet, if we get the new boat.

One question for either of you, being LSV owners. It seems the LSV has a significantly larger motor/ballast box (sunpad area) than the OBV. Is there a purpose/value to that expanded size? For example, is it easier to get at the motor, or accommodate more ballast, or is there another reason for it?

After Ed's feedback about the OBV, I'm definitely leaning that direction. If the OBV included the same tower as the LSV (or offered it as an option), I think I'd resolve to the OBV. However, from thelooks of it, the LSV tower is so much nicer, when compared to the OBV's single-piece/fold-forward design. Being that we have to fold the tower every time we dock, it's a considerable concern for us.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Razzman
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
That's really nice, thank you all for the hospitality! I do plan to come up for the Moomba meet, if we get the new boat.

One question for either of you, being LSV owners. It seems the LSV has a significantly larger motor/ballast box (sunpad area) than the OBV. Is there a purpose/value to that expanded size? For example, is it easier to get at the motor, or accommodate more ballast, or is there another reason for it?

After Ed's feedback about the OBV, I'm definitely leaning that direction. If the OBV included the same tower as the LSV (or offered it as an option), I think I'd resolve to the OBV. However, from thelooks of it, the LSV tower is so much nicer, when compared to the OBV's single-piece/fold-forward design. Being that we have to fold the tower every time we dock, it's a considerable concern for us.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Pretty much all the reasons you stated, not to mention that's the way they did it :p Who knows, it works though. Lots of storage, lots of ballast room, easy access and a nice big platform to layout on.

mmandley
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
One other thing i want to mention about the OBV is unless your buying a 2011 with its new Deeper style interior the seating hight is very different from the LSV and OB.

The LSV is much deeper and when you look at it, it doesn't seem to be much but when you sit in it is when it matters.

Another thing is the main legroom difference is in the bow. I just flat out don't like the OB nose because 1 its rounded fiberglass lines, and 2 its so stubby feeling you cant stretch out.

Not much nicer then stretching out in the nose with a beer and catching some sun after a good ride.

And if nothing else get the LSV for the fact they tend to come with Tandem axle trailers. I have towed a lot of trailers in my time and nothing tows better then a tandem trailer. I also don't worry half as much about a blow out because i still got another tire on that side of the trailer.

Rusten
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
@Ed - Thanks for that, I'll plan to come either way, in that case.

I'm really bummed to hear the tower on the OBV is inferior and there is no option to get the LSV tower. Makes me wonder just how much worse the slalom wake will be on the LSV. As much as I want a good slalom wake, the OBV tower is going to be difficult to fold every time I go out.

@mmandley
I didn't get you 100%. First, I should mention that I'm looking at 2010's. Second, are you suggesting the 2011 LSV is different from the 2010 LSV's? I thought they were nearly identical between 2010/2011?

I do agree about the tandem trailer. Although I prefer a boat that has a stubby nose, particularly considering it's mainly just my wife and I, and we'll leave the bow buttoned (we're accustomed to ski boats after all).

Back to the wake .. I still haven't heard much about the *new* OBV versus LSV. It sounds like the slalom (32+ mph) wake will be much better on the OBV, but I haven't heard much about the 22 mph/wakeboarding wake suffering on the new OBV vs LSV?

Any feedback on that?

Thanks again for all of the great info!

Rusten
01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh, one more question while we're talking about depth of the boat. Is the Supra 21V Launch even deeper than the LSV?

I had thougth SC would use similar molds for the Launch/Mobius, but I saw a photo of the Launch, and it looks much deeper. I always thought Supra was more about "fit and finish" yet the hulls of the two were similar.

kaneboats
01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
If it's just 2 of you and you don't use the bow and you ski a lot this sounds like a no brainer. Not sure what the big concern is about the tower. I'm about 215 and have surfed behind Ed's OBV-- nothing wrong with that tower, except the fold forward thing. I really think you need a test drive more than anything.

Rusten
01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
The big concern about the tower is that I have to unfold/fold it every time we put it on the lift, and we leave the bow buttoned (a requirement, because the bow sticks out past the lift awning).

We both work long hours, and it's tough to fit in sets as it is.. If something is going to save me 20 minutes of fuss every time we go out, in the long run, it's worth it to me.

I realize it probably doesn't make sense to anyone else, but for me, having a quick-fold tower that doesn't need to be dumped over the buttoned-up front, is a major thing (unfortunately).

Razzman
01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
So here's something to think about as well then, the weight of the towers and how you setup your boat. The LSV tower is alot heavier than the OV tower. I too have to lower the tower each time. I had a one piece fiberglass speaker box across the tower, it was very heavy and required two people to raise and lower the tower as you couldn't grab it in the middle.

I had to make a padded/carpeted board to span the boat so the tower can lay on it. I now have four Exile speakers (pods) which allows me to stand in the boat and lower it down, still takes two as you can't reach the arms but it's way easier. You will need to make something to keep the tower off of the gunwales and the interior and if you add speakers then there's the points I stated above. Just something to consider.

kaneboats
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM
No, I get you. We all have out little details that are very important. I had to have swing-away tongue-- it was just about the most important feature. When I put the LSV in the garage I lower the tower, remove the platform, push it in under the door by hand and have 2" to spare. I can identify.

schuylski
02-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I think best idea is go check it out- better to see for yourself then try to visualize and figure out what we're saying....

I spent a long time trying to decide and research and check pictures about whether to go LSV or LS... and then a 5 minute test ride solved everything... HA.

Rusten
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I think best idea is go check it out- better to see for yourself then try to visualize and figure out what we're saying....

Of course. I'm just trying to get my ducks-in-a-row before doing that, because I've got a 3 hour drive to the dealer and I'd like to be pretty comfortable with the academic stuff prior to looking at them in person.

On that note, I've found a 2010 Outback V with G3/wakeplate/Cruise advertised for $36k (that's the advertised price). I thought this was a good deal, any feedback on whether this is the case?

It's hard to tell, because I cannot find any information about the MSRP for Moomba/Supra.

skiyaker
02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
On that note, I've found a 2010 Outback V with G3/wakeplate/Cruise advertised for $36k (that's the advertised price). I thought this was a good deal, any feedback on whether this is the case?

sounds pretty good if that includes the trailer

Rusten
02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Ed-
Yes, I was thinking either Orlando or Lake Placid. Orlando is a longer drive, but I had thought they had more inventory, being the wake/ski capital of the world :-). After visiting the link you just posted, it looks like they may be a little low.

Have you been to the Lake Placid dealer, to be able to compare them versus the Orlando dealer?

Rusten
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
BTW - While I'm on the topic of trying to determine MSRP before going to the dealer, is there any place where the option-pricing is published, for example the "Performance Package Pro" is the package that includes the G3 ballast, wake-plate, etc -- but I'm not sure how much that adds to the base.

Sort of a funny "option" .. I'd be shocked to see an OBV without it.

moombadaze
02-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Rusten, have you tried the boat builder-click on the model boat above and then click on every single option and then it will give you msrp for every option individually--I did that to the LSV and it came in at about 77k

Rusten
02-06-2011, 10:19 AM
When I tested the "Boat Builder", it seemed it would always simply want to take my information to forward to a dealer.. Perhaps I should go a step further, will try that now..

UPDATE: Perfect -- That did the trick, thank you!

KSmith
02-06-2011, 12:03 PM

That is a good price and I go for it, but I am partial to the 2010 Outback V myself :D