PDA

View Full Version : Boat in Water?

usaski1
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I am aware that is is not good on the gelcoat to leave a boat in the water, but to what extent? Some people rent wet slips and keep their boat in all summer. Most trailer their boats home, or have them on hoist lifts, which keeps the boat out of the water. I am aware of gelcoat bubbles that can form if a boat is left in the water, but how long does that take? Reson Im asking is to prevent freezing this year, im just leaving it in the water for a few months in the winter time. Also I've got it set up for surfing, and if I leave it in, I dont have to drain the bags. Your oppinions? Will I hurt anything if I leave it in say Jan through Mar? Other than having a nice water line to scrub off of it?

skylar18
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
When Lake Travis was so low 2 summers ago I kept my boat in the water for about 2 months because my marina's lift shut down. I was pretty paranoid, and pulled it out about a month early than I was planning on but everything seemed fine.

It sucked cleaning the hull though, got pretty green and that is a fairly clean lake.

cab13367
01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Reson Im asking is to prevent freezing this year, im just leaving it in the water for a few months in the winter time. Also I've got it set up for surfing, and if I leave it in, I dont have to drain the bags. Your oppinions? Will I hurt anything if I leave it in say Jan through Mar?

How does leaving it in the water keep it from freezing? If you leave your boat outside unwinterized and you have a deep freeze, your block is going to crack, whether it's sitting in the driveway or on the water.

moombadaze
01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Al, I have heard of that. leaving a boat in the water helps prevent freezing due to heat transfer from the warmer water. Not sure I believe it.

Did you ever see that photo of the old ski boat (Centurion?) frozen in the middle of the lake-people were walking right around it on the ice, anyway I always wondered if that block froze or what structural damage that boat sustained.

maxpower220
01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Gel coat blistering can occur differently for different boats. Your boat may be able to stay in the water for 2 years and have no effect, or it may blister after a week. One sure way to prevent is to treat your hull with bottom side paint. I have seen boats that get blisters from the bunks on the trailer/lift. It's a crap shoot.

cab13367
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Al, I have heard of that. leaving a boat in the water helps prevent freezing due to heat transfer from the warmer water. Not sure I believe it.

Did you ever see that photo of the old ski boat (Centurion?) frozen in the middle of the lake-people were walking right around it on the ice, anyway I always wondered if that block froze or what structural damage that boat sustained.

I can see that happening and I figured that's what the OP was referring to, but during a deep freeze, I don't think it will be enough to offset the ambient air temp and keep the water in the block from freezing. I certainly would not gamble on it if it were me.

cmtaylor777
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Replaced my Motor last year from freezing. $5,500 later.......Not taking any chances. At least winterize it. Trust me, If you have to question if it will freeze or not.....don't risk it.

lsvboombox
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I am aware that is is not good on the gelcoat to leave a boat in the water, but to what extent? Some people rent wet slips and keep their boat in all summer. Most trailer their boats home, or have them on hoist lifts, which keeps the boat out of the water. I am aware of gelcoat bubbles that can form if a boat is left in the water, but how long does that take? Reson Im asking is to prevent freezing this year, im just leaving it in the water for a few months in the winter time. Also I've got it set up for surfing, and if I leave it in, I dont have to drain the bags. Your oppinions? Will I hurt anything if I leave it in say Jan through Mar? Other than having a nice water line to scrub off of it?

How cold does it get by you? does the lake actually freeze? If the lake doesnt freeze you probably are ok, but its a gamble...

Razzman
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
There are way too many factors to predict it as was said. I know people who's boats sit in the water all year with nothing, but i also know of two people who did it and both had blisters within a month so it's definately a crap shoot. To me it's not worth the added of hassles, I would just pull it out on the trailer and do a proper winterizing.

Also leaving water in the bags is not the best thing to do, all kind of nasty things happen when water is left in too long.

usaski1
01-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Heat transfer from the prop and hull with less contact for air prevents freezing. I hoisted it up, and the bottom was nice and green from sitting in the water for a month. yuck. I started the motor, and it ran fine, but would not start for about 10 min cranking on it. Kinda scared me for a moment. Cmtaylor777, how cold does it get where you are, and for how long? Im in central TX (Austin) we have got down to 22 or so this year.

bzubke1
01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Honestly it would prolly take you more time to scrub off the bottom from sitting in the water than it would to drain the water. It takes 30 minutes at the very most to drain all the water out of the block.

DOCDRS
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Honestly it would prolly take you more time to scrub off the bottom from sitting in the water than it would to drain the water. It takes 30 minutes at the very most to drain all the water out of the block.

Great post.....Words of Wisdom

brain_rinse
01-27-2011, 10:10 PM
bz nailed it. You can drain the water from the block so quickly it seems silly to chance it. And way easier than scrubbing off the yuck.

usaski1
01-28-2011, 05:25 PM
2 questions: How do you know if your block is cracked? I would assume poor compession and maybe a motor that would not start as well as water in the oil?

Question 2 is, and this sounds dumb, but I have the 325hp efi, where are the drain screws on this motor to drain the block? Any images on the web to guide me in the right spot?

bzubke1
01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9877

This is what you need. It's for a v-drive but the engine is the same.