PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight to an 01 Outback

jeffreyala
12-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I purchased an 01 Outback with a tower as my first starter boat. We will be doing some novice level wakebaording this spring and would like to know where and how much weight to use? The boat comes with a 500lb sac.

Is it the rear seat or rear trunk area that is near the gas tank? I didn't want to risk cracking my tank by placing weight in the wrong area!

So, can someone tell me how they are running their weight, wha speeds they are towing and what rope length?

Thanks!

Jeff

noneya
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Hey-

I had an 01 Outback (not LS) that I used for a coupel of years before trading it in for my 03 LS.

We ran 2 600# bags and 1 300#, had the 600's on either side of the engine and the 300 up front in the walkway area. I did not have any built in ballast in mine.

The fuel tank is located under the rear seat but extends slightly under the trunk area, dont put sacs in the trunk! This was info from my dealer, I never actually took up the trunk floor and looked.

I think with yours since you already have 500 in the back I would put a 300 on either side of the engine and 1 up front in the nose.

We were running on a 60-65' rope + handle. Speed about 21. You should be able to tell your rope lenght, just get to boarding speed and try and make sure you are hitting the wake where it looks the cleanest.

Oh yeah, make sure your weight is balanced side to side also. If the wake looks good on one side at boarding speed, but the other is washed out, you need to move your weight. Move weight towards the washed out side, it should firm it up. Note that this is only with no boarder or the boarder in the middle of the wake. The wake will change when the boarder is outside (will firm up on the boarders side)

Good luck and have fun!

jeffreyala
12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
THANKS for the info!

So would you say it is ok to put a bag under the seat?

Looks like a am going to have to look around for some more sacs!

Thanks,

Jeff

noneya
12-15-2004, 05:28 PM
My Outback you couldnt put anything under the seat, there was a fiberglass platform the seat cushion sat on and the gas tank was under it. Mine also had a trunk that was a lot deeper than the LS or current, you could easily fit 2 boards and a skate in it, at least 2 feet deep. Where is your built in tank? Did you get the LS or the regular Outback?

jeffreyala
12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
It's just a standard 2001 Outback. The 500lb sac I mentioned isn't internal. I just bought the boat and am picking it up Friday. I wasn't sure if there was room under the seat or not. I will weight it as you suggested and go from there.

I think we may use this boat for the season and upgrade to an LSV in 06.

Do you know where I can get some sacs at a good price?

Thanks!

Jeff