PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Moomba

snyderaaron
01-24-2011, 09:39 PM
getting ready to buy a used 2009 moomba lsv with 140 hours. What steps or precautions should I take when buying a used boat? Also the boat is in Florida and I live in Nebraska, do you know any places that can rent me a pickup to drive it back, or a place that can deliver it to me.

04OUTBACK
01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
www.uship.com for delivery
I used them to move my LSV from Mississippi to NY.
You post the item for bid on the delivery. you get bids from competing drivers.
anticipate $1 / mile maybe better..

very FEW rental facilities want you to tow with their vehicle.

zabooda
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Sounds like a good time to go on a spring break trip.

lsvboombox
01-24-2011, 10:43 PM
getting ready to buy a used 2009 moomba lsv with 140 hours. What steps or precautions should I take when buying a used boat? Also the boat is in Florida and I live in Nebraska, do you know any places that can rent me a pickup to drive it back, or a place that can deliver it to me.

I shipped a new moomba from st louis to east PA.. I used uship.com as well and it was a very pleasant experience... Driver went over the boat with a fine tooth comb and called me to discuss some things before he took the boat. He actually had a flat bed so it was not towed... If you want the guys number let me know... I think uship charges an extra 250 or so..

As far as renting a truck, uhual is the only company that would rent a truck to tow with... Just about every car rental place will not allow you to tow with their trucks, having said that some of their trucks do have hitches and some dont.. so if you rent a truck its a 50/50 chance there is a hitch mounted on it...

I would definitely make the flight to check it out and pay a mechanic to check it out....

deerfield
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM

snyderaaron - Depending on your specific location and destination, you are looking at a 3,400 mile round trip. That's a loooong way. From that standpoint, getting it delivered makes sense. But, issues with the boat once it arrives home may be a challenge to resolve to your satisfaction. Best way to mitigate that risk is to have someone on the ground at the seller's location be your advocate. I'm not sure how you put that in place. Maybe you simply negotiate down on purchase price to build in budget for anything that is or goes wrong once you take delivery. In addition, you will have to budget for the delivery service. Maybe seller could you meet you in Kentucky, saving you time and him a little bit of money? I guess if it was me I'd find a UHaul location with a guaranteed hitch and drive it back myself. How about a Moomba chain? I'd take the Illinois section of I get to use it for a week..or two. Regarding a used boat, ask for the service record. Make sure there is documentation that all the routine maintenance was completed. Ask where the work was done and speak with the service manager. Get pictures or video of the hull, prop, rudder, and interior to confirm condition. Someone will have better ideas than me. I bought new in 2007. Only used boat was in 1982 when I drove to Florida to buy and haul back a used Nautique. - Deerfield

cab13367
01-25-2011, 03:07 AM
I would have the owner take it to the nearest Moomba dealer or qualified inboard mechanic and pay them to do a thorough cosmetic and mechanical inspection. If it checks out, I would then buy a plane ticket and fly down there and see the boat in person. If everything is to your satisfaction, then complete the sale in person, then make the arrangements to have it shipped/tow it home.

I would never buy anything of this magnitude sight unseen but that's just me. Please go to the boat owners section and read dusty's post regardning his new Supra. He bought a boat with 103 hrs on it sight unseen and it was nothing like described. Lucky for him, the dealer stepped up and took care of him. Most buyers are not so lucky.

kaneboats
01-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Hey bro, where is it? We may have someone on here right in the area that would be willing to look at it for you. Believe it or not we all love looking at boats and most of us would be willing to help. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

zabooda
01-25-2011, 03:37 AM
Put a minimum deposit down, jump in your truck and go get it. You see it first hand, very little money committed, most economical method and make a vacation out of it. I've done that many times and even took Amtrak once to drive back a motor home. Try out a few lakes on the way home. It's a once in a lifetime experience so enjoy it.

mcdye
01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
I once brought a boat over 600 miles away. I had the seller send only pictures of the bad stuff, every used boat has something, even thou it may be minor. That way I knew what to expect and hopefully no surpirses. I personally cant make a buy of this nature with out a test drive. I made the drive, tested the boat in 43` weather, luckliy the boat had a heater...it went smooth. Definitely check it out yourself or by a dealer for the mechinically side, a 2009 should be able to transfer the Inmar warranty.

KG's Supra24
01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Buying sight unseen is scary!! I would def make the trip down there. I made the trip to GA a year ago and made it again with Dusty this year. My thoughts, a burning a few days on the road is nothing compared to the headaches you could have for the next several years.

Also to mention, my dad "bought" a boat (a moomba lsv actually) a year before i went to pick mine up. Well he doesn't have a moomba but someone has his money. He made some bad choices but ANYTHING is possible.

As mentioned in Dusty's thread, the seller talked like nothing was wrong but he would have been furious to find the little things that we came across if it was dropped off at the house.

If you don't have the time, get one of the guys from the forum to go check it out and/or have a dealership look it over. Just my opinion.

Oh, and since it is in Florida, be sure to ask about salt water use.

dusty2221
01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Ditto to everything KG said, I was told my boat was a flawless beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that's a fact. Take the time, make the trip yourself.

snyderaaron
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Hey thanks for all the help guys, its actually in fort meyers. I had a plan to go down and check it out, but have limited time when I want to. If i bought it would I be able to have the indmar warranty transfer after I bought it.

moombadaze
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
well thats about 2 hrs south of me-shame its not closer.

kaneboats
01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Defintely do your salt water research. Make sure you know if the trailer has ever been dipped in the salt water. That's the key.

WaterBullDawg1980
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I would have the owner take it to the nearest Moomba dealer or qualified inboard mechanic and pay them to do a thorough cosmetic and mechanical inspection. If it checks out, I would then buy a plane ticket and fly down there and see the boat in person. If everything is to your satisfaction, then complete the sale in person, then make the arrangements to have it shipped/tow it home.

I would never buy anything of this magnitude sight unseen but that's just me. Please go to the boat owners section and read dusty's post regardning his new Supra. He bought a boat with 103 hrs on it sight unseen and it was nothing like described. Lucky for him, the dealer stepped up and took care of him. Most buyers are not so lucky.

Listen to this advice brother. Do not let emotions get the best of you. I nearly did that with my first boat purchase and if I did not take the time to go check the boat out in person, I would have been a very unhappy camper when I got home. The person selling it was not aware of the slight crack in the block. At least that is what they said, so who knows.

At the very least, get it checked out by a certified Indmar mechanic and by all means find out if it has been in salt water. Very common for a boat in Florida.

Good luck and be sure and post your pictures when you get her in your possession!

snyderaaron
01-25-2011, 10:43 PM
yeah the guy selling it told me it hasn't been in salt water, but like you said i should probably have it checked out. Would you guys recommend having him take it to a dealer to get it checked out before I go down there?

cab13367
01-25-2011, 11:55 PM
yeah the guy selling it told me it hasn't been in salt water, but like you said i should probably have it checked out. Would you guys recommend having him take it to a dealer to get it checked out before I go down there?

I would. I'm sure you are going to be spending $30k+ on this boat - isn't it worth a couple hundred to have a professional mechanic go through it and give u a thorough, impartial assessment of the boat? He will either save you a trip down there if it doesn't check out, or give you peace of mind if it does. Either way, I think that's easily worth a couple hundred bucks.

This is how I bought my car. Was only two years old with 18k miles. Found it in Utah, I live in Oregon. Had the owner take it to the dealer, paid them to check it out. Got the thumbs up so I flew down there, checked it out for myself, then paid for it and drove it home. I don't like to take chances when big money is involved but that's just me.

moombadaze
01-26-2011, 08:41 AM
If for some reason you do end up getting Land O Lakes to check it out let me know-they are about 2 minutes away.

Is this a black LSV?

mmandley
01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
LOL Al your killing me man LOL

OK first thing i want to say is if anyone knows someone with a truck to haul a boat over that distance then good. If you know a person who drives for US boats and you can hire him privately even better.

I haul RVs and Boats as a side job and i will take a private customer contract any day over a company one. I can tell you the driver at best will get 1.25 a mile.

Things you look out for if you have it contracted to haul. If its a company then just make sure they have the 1Million dollar policy because thats the industry standard.

If you hire privatly make sure that driver has the policy, ask for him to fax a copy of it. As him for his DOT inspection number on his DOT safety tag because all contract drivers are required to have this on there truck. I have one inside the left rear door that proves the truck was DOT certified with no issues and passes a DOT inspection.

Lastly the reason the driver will go over the boat with a fine tooth comb at pickup and delivery is because we are responsible for any damage done or delivered with even if we didn't do it. If i miss damage on the pick up and its there at drop off i pay for repairs off my policy or out of pocket.

If you want to the boat taken for inspection then ask the current owner to take it to a shop of your asking. I say call the shop ahead of time and set the appointment this way you have the control. Then its billed directly to you and you know your not getting skewed results as you are the one buying the service. This also allows the current owner to know your serious and not wasting his time as hes not paying for this service to be done.

If you cant make it down to bring the boat home the other option is Fly down there. Get the boat checked out and then take it to a storage place and have it stored in a garage normaly costing about 150 a month. Then when you have a week off take your truck down there and bring it home.

I would opt for flying there going to the dealer, listening to the dealer while he inspects the boat on site. Then have the owner drive it to a storage unit and park it. Then come back later with your truck and haul it home. This allows you to be on site and allows you to bring the boat home safe and you will also know how the boat tows long distance.

Hope this helps ya bro and good luck. If i was East coast id haul in a sec for you and only charge you .75 cents a mile plus some money for my time.

This is how i charge people in my neck of the woods i know. Much cheaper in the long run then using a company that will prolly charge you closer to 2.50 or 3.0 a mile.

sailing217
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Before Anything, Get the VIN and check on the Warranty!!!

Fly down and get the inspections done.

TRUE STORY over on CenturionCrew last week: The pimped black Enzo that slid down the highway in Texas showed up on ebay with a 'clean title' from a dealer in CA. After attemps by crew members that the dealer should disclose everything, it wasn't and the ebay auction went for over $40k. The boat looked too good, but hopefully a mechanic and/or buyer will do homework and find the truth. Most boat sales have been good, but I can't understand people not flying to see such an expensive purchase. Make a vacation out of it.

mmandley
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Before Anything, Get the VIN and check on the Warranty!!!

Fly down and get the inspections done.

TRUE STORY over on CenturionCrew last week: The pimped black Enzo that slid down the highway in Texas showed up on ebay with a 'clean title' from a dealer in CA. After attemps by crew members that the dealer should disclose everything, it wasn't and the ebay auction went for over $40k. The boat looked too good, but hopefully a mechanic and/or buyer will do homework and find the truth. Most boat sales have been good, but I can't understand people not flying to see such an expensive purchase. Make a vacation out of it.

I remember this boat from the Wake world thing last year showing pics and telling the story of it. Most likey the reason nothing is disclosed is the boat wasnt considered a Totaled so its not a salvage title. The boat as i recall was all bottom fiberglass damage and had to have the prop, rudder, shaft, and tracking fins replaced. Im sure it was a 20K repair but not enough to total the boat out.

I do agree though it should be disclosed that it had a lot of structral damage but then again do you think Nate will willing tell his next buyer hes got a new rear end on his boat at the risk of the buyer walking away? No i would suspect not because the truth is Buyer beware and sellers are only as honest as the amount of money being offered to them.

zabooda
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
You all had great comments but the bottom line is how much does one spend before you lose the savings that was there. You can pay more for the boat than what it is worth when you add up airplane trips, storage, inspections, motels, food and transport. I would be looking closer to home unless this boat is much cheaper compared to the local availability or it is unique in some way.

If someone wanted me to transport a boat for inspection, I would give them a 15 mile radius to pick a mechanic and get a contract with them. I would also expect the mechanic to notify me if there was any problems so I could get them fixed, determine an allowance for repairs or dispute their findings. This is all happening while the boat is up for sale to others. If the price is that good, it will be sold before any of this happens.

kaneboats
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
You guys make some valid points. In my experience you want to go north, not south when you look for a used boat. The further north you go the shorter the season is. I've seen 10 year old boats in Minnesota that look like showroom. You wouldn't want a 10 year old FL boat if it was used for the whole season here.

mmandley
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Mike, Think about it... given the fact that all this was discussed on an internet forum - Nate did just disclose to his next buyer that he has a new rear end on his boat.

As the Bartles and James guys would say "thank you for you support" :)

As if you think everyone that buys a Supra is going to come to the forums and do a search on every thread about boats being damaged?

I hardly doubt that Ed, when half the people who post here already don't use the search function. :cool: there all better :cool:

snyderaaron
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
snyderaaron,

Looks like your getting some good advice on getting the boat home, but unfortunately I'm kinda doubting that the membership here is really gonna be able to be of much physical help to you on purchasing a boat in South Florida

As far as I can determine, seems that we have no members who live in South Florida to give testimonials on their favorite mechanic and/or dealer.

Doing a quick search using the Moomba dealer locator, only brings up 2 dealers.

One in Boynton Beach, (above Ft Lauderdale) and one in Lake Placid...but that's about the same distance as going to Land O' Lakes Marine, where a few of us know and trust the dealer.

We have a member, "james yarosz", who is presently in Bonita Springs - not that far south of Fort Myers. Why not shoot him a PM and see if he would check it out for you.

Here's a web site for some folks in Florida who do pre-sale boat inspections. I'm sure you can find one near Ft. Myers:

http://www.yachtworld.com/byp/categories/Surveyors/YachtandSmallCraft_FL.html.en

As I mentioned, I will be in St Pete mid February, if your seller wants to bring it up there, I'd be glad to give it a look.

Is this a private sale or thru a business?

If it's a private sale, did he/she tell you why they are selling? Will they tell you where they bought the boat?

It is a private sale. They said they were selling because they don't get to use it as much as they like. I haven't asked where they boat it so I don't know. I really appreciate all the help. Living 1700 miles away can be frustrating when finally finding the Moomba I have been looking for.

moombadaze
01-27-2011, 07:54 PM
and just how much was the used boat with 140 hrs on it. reasson for asking is you might be able to get a new boat for the same price.

moombadaze
01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
on the other hand I wonder how much I could sell mine for and then I get a new one :rolleyes:. the wife see that comment and im sleeping with the hounds in the dog house

DOCDRS
01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
would 32k seem like a good price?

snyderaaron
01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
and just how much was the used boat with 140 hrs on it. reasson for asking is you might be able to get a new boat for the same price.

2009 with a price of 34,900. Seems pretty good price.

snyderaaron
01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
would 32k seem like a good price?

Yeah, for what year, where could you get one for that much?

kaneboats
01-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd be talking to a guy from Iowa on here who considered selling his not too long ago. It's a lot closer and 50 guys on here can vouch for the boat. Plus, all the upgrades are done.

DOCDRS
01-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah, for what year, where could you get one for that much?

well that one has been for sale for some time , its black and looks nice , took me all of 10 seconds to find it with a search and it was even listed here in this forum out of ft meyers , if its the same one.....so there might be some negotiating room
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13218&highlight=2009

but I only spent a minute on this and could be all wet behind the ears

KG's Supra24
01-27-2011, 11:32 PM
I love that tahoe! Boat looks great too!

badasshybrid
01-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Thats a nice boat.

moombadaze
01-28-2011, 08:12 AM
thats the one I thought he was looking at, nice boat

mmandley
01-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I remember that boat too. Nice ride there man.

kaneboats
01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I remember it too. Extremely nice. Let's get this done!

DOCDRS
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
ya its looks like an awesome boat....not sure if thats what he's looking at maybe he could chime in........funny ,now that we have all seen some pics how the views change and we all want the boat to be his

moombadaze
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
^^ I think (and I could be wrong) he was looking for a lake to meet the prospective buyer at for a demo ride.

snyderaaron
01-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Way to go Doc!!

Hell, snyderaaron forget everything we posted on this thread.

That's an awesome boat. Just send the guy a check.

I can bring it up to Oralndo for you if you want on Feb 18th.

HAHAHAHA, that is the one I am looking at, just didn't want to give it away to someone else. What do you guys think

snyderaaron
01-29-2011, 03:12 PM
well that one has been for sale for some time , its black and looks nice , took me all of 10 seconds to find it with a search and it was even listed here in this forum out of ft meyers , if its the same one.....so there might be some negotiating room
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13218&highlight=2009

but I only spent a minute on this and could be all wet behind the ears

This is it. Sounds like you guys heard of the guy. Any thoughts?

brain_rinse
01-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Make a deal! Then let's organize a midwest moomba jam.

rdlangston13
01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
that is a good looking boat! im just not a huge fan on single axle trailers, especially on a boat that big!

snyderaaron
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
bad news fellows, the boat has been sold. Pretty disappointed had my eye on it for about a month. Still looking for the one of my dreams, any advice would be helpful.

brain_rinse
01-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Bummer! Now that I know you're looking I'll keep my eye out. Make sure you have all your finances in order so that when the right one comes up you can move quickly. The good ones don't last...

rdlangston13
01-30-2011, 09:26 PM
ouch! i know that feeling. that really sucks

skiyaker
01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
sorry man that stinks
there's this LSV at my local dealer- I'd be happy to look at it for you but err.. test drive will be kind of difficult with the current water conditions

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=08646204X1K30K2011J7I35 I05JPMQ2925R0&veh=58923&pov=1916421

moombadaze
01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
the boat my dealer had sitting on the showroom when I was there last week

Its brand new and I dont think its much more than buying a couple year old used on

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2010-MOOMBA-MOBIUS-LSV-96865024

DOCDRS
01-30-2011, 10:05 PM
sorry man that stinks
there's this LSV at my local dealer- I'd be happy to look at it for you but err.. test drive will be kind of difficult with the current water conditions

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=08646204X1K30K2011J7I35 I05JPMQ2925R0&veh=58923&pov=1916421

Wow, wish I had of known you were close by. I was down there 2 x this year. Bought my 09 supra worlds from Ron. Great guy and great service

zabooda
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
You gotta be ready and know your boats so when one comes up you can pounce on it. Sometimes the transaction can go fast and so cheap, I sometimes accuse myself of stealing..lol. I go with my gut instinct and a calculated risk based on knowing the product and I'm right probably 90% of the time. The other 10% I turn it around and resale at home where it is a hotter market than where it came from and getting what I paid for it. Good luck with your future boat looking and keep scanning as between now and spring is an ideal time to buy.

skiyaker
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow, wish I had of known you were close by. I was down there 2 x this year. Bought my 09 supra worlds from Ron. Great guy and great service

Ha that's hilarious! I'm pretty sure I sat in your boat at the Indy boat show a few years back! I remember it because I liked the graphics and the grab rail in the bow.

snyderaaron
01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the links guys, I'll keep looking and if you see any deals chime in for me. I really appreciate it.

DOCDRS
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Ha that's hilarious! I'm pretty sure I sat in your boat at the Indy boat show a few years back! I remember it because I liked the graphics and the grab rail in the bow.

Yep 21V with bow rails.......If I come back down again I'll look ya up, was looking for someone to skyski with down there