PDA

View Full Version : Air Lift 1000

kaneboats
01-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Anybody use an Air Lift 1000 kit on a Suburban or Tahoe or really any vehicle? This is the one that goes inside the coil springs. I'm just trying to level out a bit when I haul the boat loaded down and all the kids. We're starting to sag a little as the truck approaches 100k and the kids are getting a little bigger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Here's the link to the one I would get:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/60769-suburban-air-springs.html

moombadaze
01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
That should work just perfect for what you need. One thing I would recomend is the little compresor to fill up with, just the convience of not have to find air at a gas station alone made it worth while.

brain_rinse
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Haven't used the air lift but I did put new shocks on my Tahoe when I hit 100k and it tightened things up and reduced rear end sag. I went with the Monroe version that were recommended to replace the Z71s. Not saying that will solve your problem but it might be worth doing in conjunction with the air bags.

kaneboats
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Daze, thanks, didn't think it would take much and don't feel like getting too involved. With a $25 rebate right now this is a nice deal. I'll report back for others. Brain- have to look at my shocks when I get to it. Thought about air shocks but this seemed simple. I don't think I'm going to add the compressor as I have one in my garage and I just about only use this truck to tow the boat.

cab13367
01-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Anybody use an Air Lift 1000 kit on a Suburban or Tahoe or really any vehicle? This is the one that goes inside the coil springs. I'm just trying to level out a bit when I haul the boat loaded down and all the kids. We're starting to sag a little as the truck approaches 100k and the kids are getting a little bigger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Here's the link to the one I would get:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/60769-suburban-air-springs.html

Kane,

I installed one of these on my Jeep Grand Cherokee several years ago where the bags went inside the coil springs. The bags would crack and leak after a year or two. Air Lift sent me replacements at no charge twice and each time, the same thing would occur. I lived in the high rockies of CO at the time where negative temps were common in the winter so I think the freeze and thaw cycle probably got to the bags.

I have since moved to a more temparate climate (Portland, OR) where we don't see freezing temps too often. Last summer, I installed an Air Lift kit on my current tow vehicle, a 2000 Dodge Durango. The air spring does not go inside the coil springs in this set up. It's working well so far - it brings up the rear so that I now ride level with the boat in tow and helps handling and braking tremendously. So far, the bags have not developed any cracks or leaks.

Since you are in FL, I think you will have good luck with them. Just make sure that you always have at least the minimum recommended amount of air in them.

Al

kaneboats
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't worry. I'm in FL. I'll make sure I'm always full of hot air!

dusty2221
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Kane,
I have a set of the Firestone manual airbags on my F-250. I know it's a bit of a different application, but it should yield the same result. I absolutely love these things. They are not supposed to be ran with less than I believe 5psi, which is what sometimes can cause premature failure. You have to periodically check them if you want to run that low. They work amazing for their intended purpose, which is eliminating that sag. For the price you posted those at, I wouldn't think twice, jump on it.

As for adding a compressor to make it easier, that's always and option, I opted against it. They are so simple to adjust(at least the Firestone). The line runs to the back of my truck, and each line is independent and comes out with the fill valve through the bottom holes in the rear license plate. If you were to walk up and look, you would never know they are there.

cab13367
01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Kane,
I have a set of the Firestone manual airbags on my F-250. I know it's a bit of a different application, but it should yield the same result. I absolutely love these things. They are not supposed to be ran with less than I believe 5psi, which is what sometimes can cause premature failure. You have to periodically check them if you want to run that low. They work amazing for their intended purpose, which is eliminating that sag. For the price you posted those at, I wouldn't think twice, jump on it.

As for adding a compressor to make it easier, that's always and option, I opted against it. They are so simple to adjust(at least the Firestone). The line runs to the back of my truck, and each line is independent and comes out with the fill valve through the bottom holes in the rear license plate. If you were to walk up and look, you would never know they are there.

The set I had on my Grand Cherokee had the built in compressor. What's good about that is that it automatically kicks on if the psi got below a preset level (I think it was 5 psi) and I mounted the controller right below the dash so I could add air with the push of a button, and it had a built in gauge right there as well.

On the set I have installed on my Durango, I opted not to go with the built in compressor due to the significant additional cost. I have it set up just like Dusty - one valve per side with the valves right next to the license plate. I have an air compressor at home so it's not too inconvenient to have to add air manually.

kaneboats
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm keeping costs down as we are nearing 100k so I'll probably only own the Suburban for about 12 more years.

Hoopskier
01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
I have heard the only down side to the air bag inside the coil springs is, friction wear. As the coil spring compress and constantly rubbing on the air bags, wearing the material down/thin and eventually causing a leak.

Otherwise I had a set of airlift air bags on my truck, traditional bag between the leaf springs and frame. Work as they were intended. I just got lazy and never check the air pressure, they got low on air, lost their shape, and broke. More operator fault than product.