PDA

View Full Version : Quick radio question

lsvboombox
01-23-2011, 11:39 PM
So awhile back I posted that my mb quart blackbox took a crap.. after 3 months I finally got the replacement... I hooked up everything and it worked fine.. So I unhooked everything to mount it back up on the wall and in doing so I pulled the wires out of the radio antenna plug... Fix one thing break another....

will this do or is there something better I should get?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=25831&pdesc=SeaWorthy_SEA/ANT_Soft_Wire_Marine_Antenna&aID=604A7&merchID=4006

thanks

Razzman
01-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Every antenna i've seen are just plain old car type. But unless you actually listen to the bands i wouldn't even bother. I can't even get a blasted radio station, at least i don't think i can. Never checked because i'm always using the ipod.

EarmarkMarine
01-24-2011, 01:33 AM
The male connector for an antenna is referred to as a 'motorola plug' and is available locally just about anywhere. Start with Radio Shack. Just solder on the new connector or clean up the old one, prep a fresh section of the coaxial and solder back on the old one. The AM/FM antennas are standard so any universal unit should do. It won't cost much more to go with an electronic/amplified antenna that will significantly increase your reception. There not very effective in automobiles because of the increase in multipath but they work perfect in boats.

David
Earmark Marine

lsvboombox
01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
great. Thanks