PDA

View Full Version : How to Change Stance Once Out of Water

KSmith
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Howdy! Frequently when I am surfing and get up I find my stance is less than perfect, I may have my feet to far to one side and/or front to back.

When I try and move my feet to a better position the board goes nuts and tries to toss me into the drink. As such I have not been able to reposition my feet for a better stance once up and usually have to sink it and then try again from another deep water start, rinse and repeat until I get lucky and get up with a fair stance.

So... I need some tips and tricks on how to reposition ones feet once up and riding without putting the board into an uncontrolable series of spasms.

Thanks!

dusty2221
01-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Best thing I can suggest is basically crawl with your toes. Don't try to lift your door, just wiggle your door left to right and let it slide where you want it. It gets easy after a few times and you won't even think about it.

sandm
01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I find it easier to position feet when the board is on flat water than up into the wake..

just takes practice.

kaneboats
01-23-2011, 01:21 PM
It's also easier to adjust your back foot while accelerating (weight is more on front foot) and easier to adjust your front foot while braking (weight is more on rear foot). And, way easier to adjust stance while still holding the rope.

sailing217
01-25-2011, 10:17 AM
mostly adjust while I'm up and Still have the rope, otherwise it's a combo of Dusty and Kane's method.

With my 4yr old being my rope thrower and wife driving, I only worry about getting the rope and not getting my arms ripped off on starts. I adjust my feet later. haha

kaneboats
01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
They have no idea how often we are taking one for the team just to get a turn in the rotation, do they?

cmtaylor777
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM
You may even think about this....if you are having a problem with the board getting squirley with a small amout of monement, the board may not fit you. Make sure you are riding the correct size board for your height and weight. I rode a Shredstix that Dusty demo'd and couldn't even float it. Dusty had less trouble with it being that he still hasn't hit his last growth spert. My fat self couldn't work with it at all. It was very squirley and unstable. May try out a new board and see if you still have that problem.

cab13367
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
You may even think about this....if you are having a problem with the board getting squirley with a small amout of monement, the board may not fit you. Make sure you are riding the correct size board for your height and weight. I rode a Shredstix that Dusty demo'd and couldn't even float it. Dusty had less trouble with it being that he still hasn't hit his last growth spert. My fat self couldn't work with it at all. It was very squirley and unstable. May try out a new board and see if you still have that problem.

I'm with cmtaylor - maybe it's the board. I must say that I have never had anyone encounter this problem before, even newbies wakesurfing for the first time don't have any issues adjusting their stance once on the board. Maybe your board is ultra squirrly? Or too small or too advanced? Even then, I would think you could shift your feet without too much problem. I am assuming your still holding the rope at this point.

Sorry, I'm not much help at all.

dusty2221
01-25-2011, 05:29 PM
haha, growth spurt. I guess at this point I'm out of luck.

wolfeman131
01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
I'll get him out on my IS Blue Lake quad. If he can't ride that baby, he'll just have to drive the boat.

dusty2221
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Excellent plan! Send him my way, Ill give him the wakeskate and the same threat!! Surf it or drive all day!

cmtaylor777
01-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Surfing that shredstixx was like surfing a wakeskate. I would have had better luck trying to surf the leaf out of my dining room set.

mmandley
01-27-2011, 02:16 AM
What i always tell people when they are learning to surf and need to move is think of your foot as a teter totter. Lean on your toes and move your heal. Then lean on the heel and move your toes. Kinds of a pivot movement.

This keeps your foot presure fairly even on the front or back as you move. Once you get more stable and balanced you can actualy almost lift your foot completly and the board will move under it with the water and you let the board move and then reapply pressure when its where you like it.

kaneboats
01-27-2011, 03:04 AM
I tell them to shut up and drive if they can't learn to surf. :)

sailing217
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
LOL, break out the 'ladies aid' I mean Broadcast and they are good to go. Blue Lake is the next step

Some boards are crazy. My JamesWSM I had a pro wakesurfer on the boat and he ate it on the start. He then proceeded to get 3ft of air and land 3s on it, but goes to show you some boards are built for other things than being stable. Highend boards and what fins they run make a big difference.

Get on a Blue Lake and I bet you'll buy one. It's a great intermediate board