PDA

View Full Version : Quick Prop Question

cham
01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
I have the standard 3 blade on my Boomerang but I recently came across a guy with a brass (or whatever they're made of) 4 blade OJ 12.5x12 prop that is being sold for $100.

My stocker has been fine but I just installed a tower and 1100 lbs of ballast. I've heard that when the boats get heavy it's nice to have a different prop but I have no idea what to get. I've heard good things about OJ tho.

Is this a good prop for me?

90% of boat use is wakeboarding

kaneboats
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
That one might work for you and, if so, it might be a great deal. Give Eric at OJ a call and tell him your setup and ask if it will work.

FYI, I had no problem with my 3 blade prop on my Outback with 1200 lbs. of ballast on board for surfing.

cham
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Interesting......

I might want to wait and start fixing problems after they've happened. lol

I just saw a good deal on CL and thought about using it.

kaneboats
01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
The only guy who doesn't need a spare prop is the guy who already has one.

moombadaze
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
If it fits, for a $100 I'd say its worth getting even if its not perfect for your needs. Just think if for some reason you ding your good prop and cant get it repaired in time to go to the lake for the weekend that spare prop could get you back out on the lake vrs riding the couch.

kaneboats
01-20-2011, 03:05 PM
The other thing is that if you find one you like better you can always get your hundred bucks back out of it.

cab13367
01-21-2011, 07:12 PM
I have the standard 3 blade on my Boomerang but I recently came across a guy with a brass (or whatever they're made of) 4 blade OJ 12.5x12 prop that is being sold for $100.

My stocker has been fine but I just installed a tower and 1100 lbs of ballast. I've heard that when the boats get heavy it's nice to have a different prop but I have no idea what to get. I've heard good things about OJ tho.

Is this a good prop for me?

90% of boat use is wakeboarding

What prop do you have now (diameter and pitch)?

cham
01-22-2011, 10:38 AM
What prop do you have now (diameter and pitch)?
Not sure, I'll try and get under it and see what I have

"The only guy who doesn't need a spare prop is the guy who already has one."

this statement needs to be carved into something.

Are prop strikes that common where guys are destroying them regularly?

jmb
01-22-2011, 02:57 PM
I have an '05 outback and have never dinged my prop. I have 550 hrs on it so it isn't just sitting around either

moombadaze
01-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Not sure, I'll try and get under it and see what I have

Are prop strikes that common where guys are destroying them regularly?

9yrs with 1 direct drive inboard and 2 v-drives and so far no strikes--but I do have a spare prop

mmandley
01-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I think prop strikes have more to do with 2 things. If you boat in rivers and if you boat in shallow waters and or when in shallow waters your not being carefull.

We have the depth guage set at 3ft below our water line that way i always have a couple inches under my prop. Once my gauge gets to only a couple ft if i can see the bottom then i can tell what im in danger of and if its rocks then we push the boat lol.

We launched off Green Peter ramp last summer and that was so super clear at the ramp and scared the hell of me with all the rocks on the bottom and the water was only like 3ft deep.

Lucky we only had to idle a few ft off the ramp and it got deep really fast.