PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Gear Tuning

DOCDRS
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I have been thinking of tuning my underwater running gear. Has anyone done this or thought of doing it or know someone who has. Are there any contraindications to doing this? I know it has been done to help with directional stability and steering wheel centering.

Razzman
01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
You want to explain a bit more what you mean? Are you referring to how they tune high speed boats running gear? If so i don't see how these boats could benefit, afterall they're not exactly rocketships. :p Seriously, I saw a thread a few years ago where someone on WW tried modifying the rudder and tracking fins on a MC and ended up screwing things up and had to replace the rudder if i remember.

DOCDRS
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Thats exactly what I am referring to. I know you can correct pull grinding the trailing edge of the rudder......was just wondering since the fins and rudder are more square ie flat leading edge design if anyone has rounded them to create less drag.......and the trailing edge as well

maxpower220
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
On other boat forums, there are a lot of threads about tuning your rudder. Filing one side or the other to make the steering "feel" right to you. There should be a lot of info using a web search for "rudder tuning".
As for the fins, there have been several different shapes used by different manufacturers. I doubt that you would gain anything by filing on them. If so, you would think some engineer would have already worked that into a design.

Slightly different path: I have seen the running gear stoned and polished to a very high shine. It looked great, but the owner would spend several hours per month to keep it looking good. Just a thought.

kaneboats
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
If you want to talk to a pro who is a tournament driver and has worked on and restored tournament boats for 25 years, call Jody at Florida Inboards. He'll probably answer the phone and will definitely answer all of your questions:

http://www.floridainboards.com/home.php