PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Moderators

mmandley
01-18-2011, 09:44 AM
In the audio section there is a thread KG started called Exile Speakers.

In it is this text from a moderator.

Nah, deleted isn't wrong -

Any board member that starts a thread has the right to contact a moderator and request that his/her thread be closed or removed. That's been in the guidelines since day one.

If you started the thread and I deleted it, then yes, that definetly would be wrong.

I can understand this.

My question is in that very thread that was opened by Ed and then later closed and deleted by Ed one of my posting was Deleted. I don't know if Ed deleted it or another moderator deleted it.

When i say one of my posts was deleted i mean in the thread before it was locked or closed an entire post that was relevant to the topic was deleted.

At what point does a moderator have the right to delete peoples posts?

When there is no breaking of a rule or violation.

In my particular post there was curse words, no personal attacks, and no business promoting.

Here in recent i have noticed several threads where a post gets deleted by someone.

Im just wondering at what point is it ok for a moderator to just edit and delete posts?

kaneboats
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I think you are trying to take ownership of your posts in someone else's thread. If your post is ultra-fantastic you can post in your own thread or start a thread in the How To or other relevant category. When you post in someone else's thread you, in a sense, sign over control to the person who started the thread.

KG's Supra24
01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
And were the "Bravo's to SG" bravos to KG? Because i was confused by the SG. It could mean something completely different but you lost me on that one. I was the one that made the joke that I'm sure someone (if not everyone) got other than mmandley.

I made the post in the audio and electrical (now closed) as a haha funny funny about how that other post got. Feel free to delete it bc I'm sure all the regulars have seen it.

Ed G, you gotta stop getting that last word in (which so far has been somewhat off basis) and then closing the thread. You are killing me. It's like playing games with a 6 year old.

brain_rinse
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
While I didn't delete any posts in that thread, I will "prune" from time to time to help keep threads on topic. I'll usually send a note to the person letting them know, but not always. I know that it's frustrating to feel censored, so I try to prune sparingly and only as needed.

mmandley
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
KG i got your joke friend my issue is with a specific post in that thread that was left up and after 5 people replied it was deleted. Only that post was deleted.

I will PM a couple moderators because this thread i can see going side ways also.

Im frankly quite irritated with some of the antics of a certain moderator.

sandm
01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I have always appreciated this board for the maturity(language and bickering controlled) that it presents as opposed to some of the others that I frequent, but lately, there have been some threads that have "pushed the envelope" to what I think this forum is about. it is my perception that some of these threads have had moderator participation and then been cleaned or deleted.

not right imo and I understand where mmandley is going with this..

deleting threads on this forum really should not happen, and locking threads should be few and far between. slap wrists of those that need it, and if it happens to be a mod, the other mods should recognize this, step in and act behind the scenes.

brain_rinse
01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll just add that there is a lot that has/continues to gone on behind the scenes. We choose not to air our dirty laundry so it may appear to be inaction, but I can assure you that's not the case.

Razzman
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I can certainly see where Mike is coming from on this and I also agree. Having been on both sides of the fence though I can sympathize with the mods, it's a tough job at times. And let's also say that some people don't make the job any easier.

There were times when I had to "prune" (as Brain put it :D) a few threads and I let the poster know why, and it was always to stay within the forum guidelines only and not because i didn't agree one way or another.

At times moderating can be a thankless job and sometimes tempers will flair, as in situations like this. That is why mods need to walk a fine line and recuse themselves from getting into situations that imply bias one way or another. But that's just my opinion as usual, which usually isn't worth squat. :p

wolfeman131
01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
appropriately, this was on SNL this past weekend:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/cnn-spitzer-auditions/1270099

Mike, hope it brings you a laugh or two.

mmandley
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
appropriately, this was on SNL this past weekend:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/cnn-spitzer-auditions/1270099

Mike, hope it brings you a laugh or two.

Dam funny man that realy lightens the mood.

wolfeman131
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
ah, if ya liked that one, this should make you laugh too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

mmandley
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
You killing me Wolfeman :p

moombadaze
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Mike, was not me as I dont think I have ever "pruned" or deleted a posting in a thread, altho one time I did kill off one of my favorite threads--Cant tell you how pissed at myself I was.