PDA

View Full Version : Operation Paddle Smart

jester
01-18-2011, 02:05 AM
In October of last year (3 months ago) an orange kayak was found adrift with a lifejacket and a paddle onboard. The Coast Guard our of Sector of Puget Sound, in Seattle, did an 11 hour search with a 41 foot boat and a HH-65 Dolphin helicopter. They did not find anyone missing or the person who owned the kayak.

The reason for this post is since Kayak's are not required to register if your kayak is found no one will know it is your or that you might not be missing. At my monthly Coast Guard Auxiliary meeting this was brought up and we were given stickers that can you can place on your kayak's. It is part of Operation Paddle Smart. I have only two of these stickers right now but should be able to get more if there are more kayakers out there. PM me and I can send one to you or get somthing to put in the kayak that can tell someone who you are.

News link is below.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-coast-guard-suspends-search-fo-102310,0,4481861.story

sandm
01-18-2011, 08:45 AM
sounds like a joke with no one missing? perhaps a stolen kayak and they ditched the goods? I see a lot of them around here strapped to people's cars with the jacket/paddle strapped into the top.

sounds like a good idea with the stickers tho. we have a lot of them up here on the rivers, especially the payette/boise, and it seems the best advice is never go out alone, and always leave word at home where you are going/when to return.

jester
01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I could have been a joke but a search is still done. That is why I like the rescue 21 system. Any time you talk on your VHF radio on channel 16 and you are in range of a Coast Guard radio tower the Coast Guard knows your approximate location. Cuts down on false mayday calls.

sandm
01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I would never say don't search. just wondered if someone(juveniles) thought it up, or stole a kayak off a car and ditched it?

hope no one was in it..

we carry a marine radio in the boat just for such emergencies as our lake has almost zero cell coverage :(

DOCDRS
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I have my address and phone number written on my kayaks , paddle boats and canoes in black permanent marker. On windy days its not uncommon for one to get loose and see it floating past at my cottage