PDA

View Full Version : Cooler solution for outback

Ken Labonski
01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
What does everyone do for a cooler in outbacks/mobius DDs?

I was hoping to not give up a whole lot of floor space with a DD but can't come up with a different solution.

Ken

viking
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
what year OB?

I have an 07 and it has a floor cooler right in front of the doghouse that goes up under the bow walkway (where the ski locker is in some older models).

It's pretty big and can accommodate more than a days worth of beverages. Sometimes we'll even put waterproof containers of sandwiches and such in there depending on how many peeps we have. We also have a soft cooler we throw on the floor behind the drivers seat.

I know some don't use their coolers in the LSV's at all due to not holding ice very well but I've found my cooler to keep ice for a whole day even in the 100's. More than a day and you have to re-fill but it's worth it just for the space savings and convenience.

deerfield
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
viking - Do you keep a plug in the drain hole when using the cooler for drinks and sandwiches? - Deerfield

viking
01-17-2011, 12:29 AM
viking - Do you keep a plug in the drain hole when using the cooler for drinks and sandwiches? - Deerfield

YUP - plug it up when loading with ice and drinks/food! Pull it when loaded on the trailer so it can drain into the bilge area and out the floor drain on the tow home.

badasshybrid
01-17-2011, 02:33 AM
In my Outback we throw a cooler behind the drives seat. In mine all we use that space for is to put the cooler and the 3 person tube.

kaneboats
01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I had one of those "ice cube" style coolers. They hold way more than they look like they hold and it would fit right behind the driver's seat. We even used it as an extra seat under the bimini with just a standard throw cushion on top of it.

FamilyMatters
01-18-2011, 05:55 PM
My cooler (in the floor next to driver) in our 09 Outback is always filthy and smells like the Engine. Is the key to using it plugging it? I havent tried a plug, but does a regular boat plug fit? Does anyone have a suggestion?

Peace
Darren

dusty2221
01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
We use a regular old cork. Work great.

KG's Supra24
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I bought a plug at walmart that is adjustable for about 5 bucks. Couldn't find it online but it is in the marine section.

viking
01-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Use a rubber plug found at Home Depot or Lowes. Works great, stays clean and cold when in use. I wipe it down every spring as part of the spring clean

eseebeck
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
my 08 came with a rubber plug. I work really hard not to take water over the bow so I don't have that issue. The cooler works pretty good. one bag of ice and a dozen or so beverages will stay cold all day. When I clean the boat, I also wash, dry and even wax the cooler. It keeps it looking brand new. I never noticed a smell but again, my boat is showroom new with about 100 hours.

It's for sale if anyone interested