PDA

View Full Version : Brackish water?

james yarosz
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Anybody ever use there Moombas in Brackish water and what kind of problems did you have.Looking at a place in s. Florida and they tell me the water is "brackish"?

maxpower220
01-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Brackish water is usually found where fresh water sources meet salt water source: it most cases that is where a river drains into the ocean/gulf. Depending on your operating distance from the salt water source, the tide, and the current of the river you will have none salt, medium salt, or high salt content.

I am in N Florida and operate on rivers. One ramp that I use will be salty when the tide comes in and we haven't had rain. Otherwise, when you fall from skiing, you don't detect any salt.

To operate in those conditions you need to take a few steps. First, you need a galvanized or aluminum trailer. The trailer will take the brunt of abuse because you can't flush it properly. Next, you will need to flush the engine for 5-10 minutes immediately after each use. You should also plan to wash off your boat. Long term affects may include replacing manifolds and risers every 5 years (instead of 15-20 yrs).

james yarosz
01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Looks like the Moomba will be staying in Michigan!

kaneboats
01-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Rent a boat when you are down there. If you can't find someplace I'm sure you can run a Craigslist ad a few weeks before you go and line up a private rental. Lots of folks down that way are cash strapped. Good luck!

moombadaze
01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Anybody ever use there Moombas in Brackish water and what kind of problems did you have.Looking at a place in s. Florida and they tell me the water is "brackish"?

vacationing or moving permanent?

james yarosz
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
My wife and I recently retired and are looking at 55plus communitys to spend the winter at.We found a nice trailer park in Punta Gorda that has a Marina with access to the peace river.I think I would leave the Moomba up north and bring the pontoon boat down to Florida.

mmandley
01-18-2011, 09:49 AM
From what i understand outboard engines don't have nearly the problems with salt like a Moomba or V engine does. This is due to a different way the engine operates its cooling system and they don't use the same style exhaust.

I believe all you would have to do is flush the engine with water and its good to go after that. This is why most salt style engines are always outboards or a engine mounted in the boat with a closed loop cooling system.