PDA

View Full Version : Jump starting boat on water

jester
01-13-2011, 01:08 AM
I end up jump starting several boats a year when I am out on the water. Right now it is a pain to pull everything out of the storage area to get to the batteries. Does anyone know of a place in the engine compartment to attach jumper cables to jump start another boat? I do have a remote jump unit I keep in the truck but sometimes it is hard to get back to the truck to get the unit.

mmandley
01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Nope sorry Mike. Only place in the engine that has a 12v souce is the back of the alternator and at the starter. Both are bad places to attach jump cables due to the amount of Amps that will be demanded from dead boats starter.

What you can do it get a pair of longer cables and attach them to your batter then use a cap to cover them and leave them under your seat by the cooler, or run them all the way back to your V drive compartments and then you can just clip your jump cables on there.

newty
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Remote jumper terminals are (imo) the best solution.
You can put them about any where and they are nice for battery charging too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=remote+auto+jumper+terminals&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=TxwvTbCCNZC8sQP22-XMCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQzAMwAg

jester
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Guy's, Thanks for the advice. That might be another project for this winter or I just buy a remote start unit and keep it in the boat. One sounds like a lot less work then the other.