PDA

View Full Version : Z5 racks

evoimport6
01-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Looking for a dealer around the ky area or anyone who would like to deal. I can't find much info on them. Please pm me info on pricing for an 06 lsv cargo rack.

wolfeman131
01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
The Z5's are awesome, but awful expense. Have you looked at/considered the Monster Cargo bimini? Looks a little different, but functions the same for a much lower price.

I have the Monster Cargo installed on my '08 OBV and highly recommend it.

evoimport6
01-12-2011, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't mindna monster but I can't even get anyone to talk to me about a z5! Do you know the difference in price?

wolfeman131
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
If I remember correctly, the best price I have seen on the boards was around $1,500. I think most were paying more and shipping is a big issue. Use the search function and you will find a lot of posts.

The Monster Rack is $600. Like previously stated, some may find it less appealing to the eye than the Z5, but it functions about the same. The one drawback I will note for the Monster is that the mounting points for the rack are screwed into the tower while the Z5 uses clamps.

You should do your own measurements, but I think you will want the Medium sized bimini from Monster.

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-103-cargo-rack-bimini.aspx

I'll also talk to my dealer this weekend at the boat show about the Z5 and how you might get your hands on one.

mmandley
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Z5 is a dealer only item. The company who makes the Z5 will only sale it to a dealer and this is whats driving the price behind them. Typically i have seen the dealers let them go with a new boat purchase for 1500 as an incentive but if your buying new expect 2K to 2500 and yea shipping is expensive as they box is the size of a queen mattress.

KSmith
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=wolfeman131;122262]The one drawback I will note for the Monster is that the mounting points for the rack are screwed into the tower while the Z5 uses clamps.[QUOTE]

I am working on installing my Monster Cargo Bimini, Size Medium and have decided I didn't want to drill into the tower so I bought 4 DIY speaker clamps and 4 Taco ball and socket deck hinge with a flat bottom and the screw holes are within the diameter of the speaker clamp mounting base. Drilled the speaker clamp with 5/32 bit and tapped to 10-24 then attached deck hinge to speaker clamp with 10-24 x 1/2 stainless screws.

I haven't installed on the tower yet as we are having some weather issues here in Georgia...

The Taco ball and socket flat bottom deck hinge part # is F13-0241/244BN-1
and the DIY speaker clamps are easy to find just get the right diameter for the given tower, in my case 1 5/8.

EDIT: The additional parts added up to a bit over 200 bucks... Not cheap but I think it'll be worth it... I'll just keep telling myself that... ;-)

Grant M
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=wolfeman131;122262]The one drawback I will note for the Monster is that the mounting points for the rack are screwed into the tower while the Z5 uses clamps.[QUOTE]

I am working on installing my Monster Cargo Bimini, Size Medium and have decided I didn't want to drill into the tower so I bought 4 DIY speaker clamps and 4 Taco ball and socket deck hinge with a flat bottom and the screw holes are within the diameter of the speaker clamp mounting base. Drilled the speaker clamp with 5/32 bit and tapped to 10-24 then attached deck hinge to speaker clamp with 10-24 x 1/2 stainless screws.

I haven't installed on the tower yet as we are having some weather issues here in Georgia...

The Taco ball and socket flat bottom deck hinge part # is F13-0241/244BN-1
and the DIY speaker clamps are easy to find just get the right diameter for the given tower, in my case 1 5/8.

EDIT: The additional parts added up to a bit over 200 bucks... Not cheap but I think it'll be worth it... I'll just keep telling myself that... ;-)

Hey that sounds like a great install - do you have any pictures???

KSmith
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Ah, well no, no pictures at the moment. I'll take some and post them once I get back into install mode (after the snow and ice melts and I get some free time).

you da man
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
My boat did not come with a Z5 and when I wanted one my dealer's price, plus tax, and freight (yep, my dealer is such a butt they wanted me to pay freight to the dealership) was around $2,850. I was lucky to find a dealer that had one on a boat that sold but the buyer did not want the Z5. I was able to get the Z5 and shipping for $1,500. The Monster cargo is very practical and inexpensive relatively speaking but it's no Z5 in the way of fit and finish

evoimport6
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the help. The Ky boat show is coming up and I will have to see of there are any dealers that want to deal.

I am also interested to see the results of the monster install into speaker clamps. Sounds like a great idea.

rdlangston13
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
i am getting about 10 mpg pulling my lsv behind a lincoln navigator with the 5.4 and 6 speed. im thinking that my Z5 is acting as a sail and catching alot of wind cheating me out of 2 or 3 mpg. has anyone ever removed the canvas off their z5? is this hard to reinstall? also do you think the whole rack would fit into the back of the navi at an angle?

hard for me to test this since my boat is 80 miles away at the lake.

mmandley
02-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Normal gas milage for the 5.4. My F150 was a 5.4 and it only got 10mpg

Nope on the Z5 and acting like a sale because it should be installed so the front is slightly lower then the rear more like a spoiler.

Yes some do remove the fabric and Z5 recommends you do. I don't as i don't haul it more then an hour most of the time. I understand its tricky the first couple times but after a few tries its not so bad. Im sure the few guys who do remove it will chime in this afternoon.

No i doubt it will fit in the back of your nav. I wouldn't even fit in the back of my pickup or id store it there lol.

kaneboats
02-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Search zegm's posts. They remove theirs for long tows.

KG's Supra24
02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I remove mine on trips longer than an hour but i think mine is different than others seems to be. My canvas buttons and doesn't have the straps others seem to have. I never noticed much a mileage difference between on or off, it always sucked period.

No way is it fitting in the back of the Navi.

yearround
02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
i remove the z5 to store the boat in the garage. we travel with the z5 on to local lakes, within 1-2 hours drive. for longer drives we store the z5 in the cockpit of the boat. really don't notice too much difference in MPG with z5 on or off, like others have said, it sucks.