PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging a Moomba

barefooterh2o
01-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Looking to supercharge both my 07 and 08 Outbacks. Like to have more power for barefooting. Done the prop route and it helps but still lacking a little when pulling 2 or more footers or if have a few people on the boat. I own a car/boat repair business and we supercharge cars but unable to find anything on supercharging Indmar engines. I think because of reprogramming the powertrain module is the obsticle. Anybody done this before?

DOCDRS
01-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Mastercraft did it to keith st onges boat a few years back, had to add a scoop to the clam shell, but closed the opening off as it was way too noisey. and they use indmar so it must not be too much of a prob

maxpower220
01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
So buying a Sanger isn't in the cards?

Hoopskier
01-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Footer-I kinda looked at some things as well to add top speed to the boat, but have come to the conclusion of its not worth the expense for the average person (me). Don't know what engine you have now, assuming 325, but space is also a concern.

I asked SC and Indmar if a 6.0L would fit. Their response was; it won't fit under the clam shell and the transmission (one in my boat, 1:1) won't handle the added hp/torque.

Unless you really gotta have it, it might be best to check out a different boat. I see Lane Bowers is running an outboard. Here is a link to a MC 200 not mine) http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/2138872755.html

sandm
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
wow..
that's a grip of money for a 1992.

Moseley618
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
You should be able to get more performance out of your engine without supercharging it. It is just a basic chevy 350 for the most part. You can change the cam, lifters and rockers and go all roller. You could upgrade to aluminum heads and intake. Your ECU should be able to be reprogrammed by any place that works on Chevy ECUs. Should be easy to get 75-100 horse out of the engine without supercharging.

barefooterh2o
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Part of my business is reprogramming ECUs on cars. However the ECU is different on the boats. It's an OBD II hook up on autos to reflash. The few supercharging companies I've contacted says that's the obstacle. Last year, Indmar told me they can't do it. I have not contacted them yet to see if they changed their stance.

Hoopskier
01-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Part of my business is reprogramming ECUs on cars. However the ECU is different on the boats. It's an OBD II hook up on autos to reflash. The few supercharging companies I've contacted says that's the obstacle. Last year, Indmar told me they can't do it. I have not contacted them yet to see if they changed their stance.

Let us know what you come up with if you do anything. Although there are not many of us but there are a few looking for a few more MPH. Here is a link to a Mastercraft forum thread, similar topic. Enginenut (indmar) comment on there. It is older '07 but should apply to your boats.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15192

Sandm-same thoughts for a '92 but it is a Mastercraft.

Hoopskier
01-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Dont know if these would help out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INDMAR-SMALL-BLOCK-ALUMINUM-EXHAUST-MANIFOLDS-/160528327898?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item25603be4da

barefooterh2o
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I did get hold of Eric at OJ props and they came out with a replacement of the 13x13 prop with the XMP 3 blade 13x11.5 that should work. I will try that route. However, the lakes are frozen and won't know til spring.

barefooterh2o
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Update on the new model OJ prop installed last year. That did the trick. Smooth out the wake for barefooting and increased mph to 43 to 44 for barefooting.

sandm
05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
cheaper than forced induction and keeps the engine intact as-is. win-win if you ask me..

congrats..

maxpower220
05-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Update on the new model OJ prop installed last year. That did the trick. Smooth out the wake for barefooting and increased mph to 43 to 44 for barefooting.

What a ripoff, I wait over a year and all you did was change the prop?!?!? I am expecting a SC or at least a turbo. I mean every jackhole with a GSXR has a turbo on his motorcycle, you should have something on your boat.

I'm glad that worked out for you. Still, 46-47 mph would be nice.

DOCDRS
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Well if you want more speed , just get a new strut with a lower angle on it, then lower your engine to align up and make sure you have a wake plate to prevent porpoising. Its the inherent design that helps to limit top end on these boats. Reducing the thrust angle , will reduce the drag and increase top end speed. Make sure you still have clearance for the prop to hull as well.