PDA

View Full Version : Difference between POLK BD 651 & 651S

Grant M
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Some of the wise folks on here probably know this already but could be good info for us Nubes.
This webpage shows the difference in the POLK BD 651 & 651S speakers physical profile.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/update-about-differences-between-polk-audio-db651s-vs-db651-90072/

Apparently the DB651 speakers protrude out 3/4" further than the DB651s.

I really don't think that would be an issue for our boats though.

kaneboats
01-05-2011, 05:07 PM
So, not a huge difference for cabin speakers, huh?

KG's Supra24
01-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I think the SC boats are fine either way. I didn't have any issues with my DB's.

Why is there so much space back there? I could have used another 1.5" of interior space. :D

Grant M
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
So, not a huge difference for cabin speakers, huh?

Hi Kane, doesn't look like it. I had mistakenly thought that the DB651S (slimline) was shallower - but no just doesn't stick out (the tweeter) as much - so a smaller grill.
I don't think it will matter if the grills stick out a little???

Razzman
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Polk Db series will fit the boats just fine. I have the larger (and much heavier) MM650 MoMo speakers in mine without issue.

Grant M
01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Polk Db series will fit the boats just fine. I have the larger (and much heavier) MM650 MoMo speakers in mine without issue.

Good discussion, thanks for the info! :D

jmvotto
01-05-2011, 11:28 PM
s is for shallow depth, stick with the regular versions...

mcdye
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I had the regular verison with no issues. According to specs there is little difference in rating.. Reg-60/180w, Slim-55/165w

mmandley
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
The reason they have a Slim design is meant for cars. They wanted to be able to cross over to more markets and a lof of the new cars with there thin doors cant hold a deep style speaker very well.

As for the boats the place that has the least amount of room is the Bow speakers and even in there i can slide my finger behind the speaker. I have the new Exile cabins and they are deeper then the Polks.

I loved the Polks i had and now there in my truck.

viking
01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
If you want to throw some money away buy the shallow depth speakers. I say buy the regulars and put the savings into beverages :)

Grant M
01-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the advice - saving money for beverages is always good advice...
Got the 3 sets of DB651 on order, to be powered by a Kicker 5 channel and a Polk marine 10" sub, I can't wait! :D

cab13367
01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the advice - saving money for beverages is always good advice...
Got the 3 sets of DB651 on order, to be powered by a Kicker 5 channel and a Polk marine 10" sub, I can't wait! :D

Hopefully you got a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub?

Grant M
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Its a Polk MM 1040UM (ultra Marine) 10" sub.
The literature states "Available in single and dual voice coil (DVC) configurations allow flexible wiring options in all sizes."
It also has a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.
I'm a real newb when it comes to audio so I'll appreciate any advice I can get.

Question 1 - do you think I'll need Bass Blockers for the cabin speakers?

Thanks

Grant
-23 deg C here today with 5 more inches of snow on the way.....
I'm missin my Moomba..... :cry:

MLA
01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
The literature states "Available in single and dual voice coil (DVC) configurations allow flexible wiring options in all sizes."

Thanks

Grant

No bass-blocker needed.

The Kicker ZX700.5 is a 4 chnl full-range and mono sub chnl amp all in one chassis. The four full-range chnls will allow you so set the in-boat to "Hi-Pass" so they only receive the upper end frequencies.

On the end of the amp where the speaker wires connect, you will see a few slide switches. You will have two marked "X-over1" and "X-over2" under each one, your choices are OFF and HI-PASS. Set both these to HI-PASS.

On the front of the amp, you have three set of dials. 3 dials each for "Amp-1" (chnl 1 and 2), "Amp-2" (chnls 3 and 4) and "Sub".

For amp 1 and amp 2, set the Bass-Boost to "0" or Off. Set the cross-over control to about 100Hz. I think this is about the 11 oclock position. For the gain, fallow a gain setting procedure, but you will probably end up about the 10 to 11 oclock position. Maybe less if you have a line-driver also installed in the system.

For the sub section, I can only ball-park the setting as i do not have a ton of experience with that Polk. Bass-Boost set to Off and cross-over control set to about 70-80 Hz. Gain will the same setting procedure. Again, this is just a starting point.

On your sub, flip it over and look at the magnet. Does it state single or dual voice coil. If dual, are they 2 or 4 ohm? This will help you determine the best way to wire the sub up and what the expected output to the sub will be.

Grant M
01-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice! I feel like I'm half done before I even start! :-)

cab13367
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks

Grant

Grant,

I think the dual voice coil model is the MM1040UMDVC. With the single voice coil 4 ohm sub, the Kicker ZX700.5 will deliver 210W RMS. With a DVC sub, you can wire the voice coils so that the amp sees half the load, or 2 ohms, and can deliver twice the power, or 420W RMS.

Al

Grant M
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey Al, after doing some digging I'm not sure if the 10" MM1040UM's come with DVC?? I have emailed Polk directly to ask though.
Again I appologize for being such a newb about this stuff, but I take it the DVC is much preferred over the SVC. Is there that much difference? Again I've never compared the two with a sound test.

Thanks for the advice.

Grant

cab13367
01-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Hey Al, after doing some digging I'm not sure if the 10" MM1040UM's come with DVC?? I have emailed Polk directly to ask though.
Again I appologize for being such a newb about this stuff, but I take it the DVC is much preferred over the SVC. Is there that much difference? Again I've never compared the two with a sound test.

Thanks for the advice.

Grant

A dvc and an svc sub will sound the same, everything else being equal. The dvc allows you to run the sub at 2 ohms which means your amp can deliver more power to the sub.

Grant M
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Gotcha, less impedance = more power from amp = more bass from sub.
I haven't bought the sub yet, so since I'm thinking of mounting it above the drivers hump it should stay dry so I could get away with a non marine certified sub that has DVC's.

Thanks again for the help. :D

Grant

cab13367
01-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Yup, you got it. And the non-UM Polk sub should be just fine.