PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sea Dual Battery Install

cab13367
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Thought I would share some pics of my add a battery install - it's a work in progress. I cut a hole behind the battery switch and ran the battery cables thru it for easier cable routing and a cleaner look (both batteries will go behind the panel that the battery switch and ACR are mounted on). I am using thermal circuit breakers all around instead of fuses (thanks for that tip Razz!). One thing I learned is that you can use 2/0 welding cable instead of 2/0 battery cable. It's a lot more flexible (uses much finer strands compared to battery cable) and easier to work with and is about the same price. I only needed a couple of feet to go from the battery to the battery switch.

BTW, all of the speaker wires hanging on the left is the stock wiring that I am replacing. Have not gotten around to cutting them yet.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_5733.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_5729.jpg

newty
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Welding cable is a great idea! looks good keep us posted.

viking
12-14-2009, 04:41 PM
what the heck is welding cable? Looks like thick power cables for car audio?

cab13367
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
what the heck is welding cable? Looks like thick power cables for car audio?

Welding cable is the cable used to connect the welding rod holder to the welder. It has to be flexible so that it can be coiled up for storage. They accomplish this by using much finer copper strands (but the same overall thickness) as battery cable as well as a more flexible insulation material. I went to a small local shop that replaces batteries and works on alternators looking to buy battery cable and he suggested the welding cable. He says they use it all the time for battery cable. Cost was $6/ft for 2/0 which is a little cheaper than NAPA sells 2/0 battery cable for.

viking
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Welding cable is the cable used to connect the welding rod holder to the welder. It has to be flexible so that it can be coiled up for storage. They accomplish this by using much finer copper strands (but the same overall thickness) as battery cable as well as a more flexible insulation material. I went to a small local shop that replaces batteries and works on alternators looking to buy battery cable and he suggested the welding cable. He says they use it all the time for battery cable. Cost was $6/ft for 2/0 which is a little cheaper than NAPA sells 2/0 battery cable for.

Thanks Cab!