PDA

View Full Version : TowerSock from buywake.com

trebor-75
01-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I finally caved and bought tower speakers and will be installing them this winter. I pull the boat a lot of miles every summer and I'm looking for a good way to protect them. I came across the towersock that covers the whole top of the tower along with the speakers. Does anyone own one of these? Would it stand up decently to towing?

Any thoughts on one of these vs. conventional speaker covers?

bzubke1
01-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Seems like a pretty good deal for $60. You would pay near that for some speaker socks and you get the boar rack covers too.

lsvboombox
01-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I don't know what material the tower sock is but on my last boat i had a cover made for the tower out of the same material as the boat cover. After an hour and a half of towing it's was torn up and and chaffed the speakers and light bar...

Razzman
01-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I and a buddy both got those from Buywake a couple of years ago to cover our fiberglass speaker boxes. It is made from a material that resembles a sweater (no lie) and zips underneath from one end to the other. It has straps that go through each end and loops around the tower to secure it.

Does it work? Yes it works but it will look like crap after one season. Mine is black and faded in no time to a brown color. My buddy got the gray, it looks dirty constantly. His tore and had zipper issues the first season. We both got the rack covers with it and still use those as they work fairly well.

Recommend it? Only if you have a solid 'glass speaker box and don't want to spend more money, otherwise go something like Speakersox (http://www.speakersox.com/home.htm) or Screamin Sacs (http://jobesstudios.com/screamin_sacs/index.php) . I've used both and they are well made. The key to any cover working well is that they need to be made heavy duty and fit tightly or they'll flap and tear.

moombahighrider
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I have this sock and rack covers and I really like them. They have faded a little in two summers but I keep the boat stored under cover (last summer only). They fit my setup well and stay tight because the fabric is stretchy. This is a two hand deal to get the zip done up. I tow a minimum of 70 miles round trip for the closest lake and more often 150 to 400 miles round trip for the other lakes. They work great. No sign of tearing or coming apart for me.

kaneboats
01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Newty posted somewhere on how to make your own socks out of the same material as baseball pants are made from. Seemed to work. Maybe he will report in after a full season of use? I need to make some of these.

trebor-75
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Highrider, what kind of set-up do you have? Cans or a big custom box like razz?

Razzman
01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Another point I forgot on these, if you live where it's bug city then be prepared to wash them constantly. Where i live (along a river) in the summer on the way back from the lake the bugs are real bad at dusk and the sock gets coated (no lie!) so bad i have to wash it after every outing. If i don't they will fall off into the boat and make a mess. Because these are a "sweater" type fabric the bugs actually get into the fabric, didn't have this problem with other types. Now that i have Exile speakers with the neo covers it's so much easier. I use the sock to cover them in storage during the season.

Here's the only pic i could find of them on, they look tight here but when driving they are flapping around a bit.

moombahighrider
01-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Trebor, I have two 6 inch cans as wide apart as they can go with six lights between the two cans. Everything is mounted on the same bar, so the sock works great for covering it all in one hit.

kaneboats
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I have the bug issue real bad. I have to drive through a swamp on the way home usually around dusk. One day there was an alligator right in the middle of the road (tasty treat!). Needless to say, the cans and racks are layered with bugs when we get home.

Razzman
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I have the bug issue real bad. I have to drive through a swamp on the way home usually around dusk. One day there was an alligator right in the middle of the road (tasty treat!). Needless to say, the cans and racks are layered with bugs when we get home.

Well if ya don't want to cover them then you might want to try using Pam cooking spray on everything facing forward, wipe the bugs right off when ya get home. A lot easier than trying to remove them when they are stuck like cement!

saskyrider
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
another option is saran wrap. When i bought my boat the guy came running out with a roll of saran wrap right before i took off and wrapped the speaker backs and tower racks with it. worked really well to for an 8 hour tow. I had speaker sox on my old boats tower speakers and they work well to. I'm getting my mom to sew up some covers for my board racks and light bar and i'll hopefully have some new XM-7's for the tower and i'll just take them down for travel.

kaneboats
01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Well if ya don't want to cover them then you might want to try using Pam cooking spray on everything facing forward, wipe the bugs right off when ya get home.

I've heard this but always thought the Pam would make a bigger mess than the bugs. I'm going to make some socks that can be rinsed off and tossed in the wash. Think I'll make 2-3 sets when I get down to it.

Razzman
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I've heard this but always thought the Pam would make a bigger mess than the bugs. I'm going to make some socks that can be rinsed off and tossed in the wash. Think I'll make 2-3 sets when I get down to it.

You spray it on a rag and wipe everything down. When done just wipe of with a clean rag. Everything stays nice, shiny and lubed! :p

kaneboats
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
OK, that makes more sense than trying to spray the tower. You haven't seen me paint with spray paint.

saskyrider
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
:phey Ed... come on up to northern Saskatchewan! Nothing as nice as lightning bugs here!! ;)

kaneboats
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Don't forget the "Palmetto Bugs". Think huge flying cockroach.

mmandley
01-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Yea uhh..I think ill keep my 60 degree summer nights and mild buggs. I can drive a few hundred miles on the highway and only get a few dozen bugs that are easy to clean off.

I have lived in the south most of my life and i know the bugs.

I even lived in Tampa Bay Florida, used to goto Orlando Beach when you could park your car on it and me and my school buddies would ditch school and goto Clearwater beach for the girls