PDA

View Full Version : boat shows vs car shows

skiyaker
12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
I'll take a boat show vs a car show any day. We went to the Indianapolis auto show today hoping to get a closer look at the 2011 durango that's getting the 5.7 L hemi. Started out having a great time- sat in the MDX, Explorer, Expedition, Acadia, saw the ford robot etc. They had a few "untouchable" cars- mostly race cars and bentleys and such. Finally found the durango sitting amongst the other dodge cars. That's when we ran into "chad" who was standing guard of the durango. Realize the durango wasn't roped off or anything so you would think going up to it and taking a close look would be OK. Well not to chad it wasn't. When my wife tried to get a close look at the driver's seat I thought he was going to tackle her. I tried to explain that I fully intend to buy a new vehicle in the next few months, and he told me the car isn't out yet so we had to keep a distance. I told him it's just a stinkin' dodge and he told me it's a $500k prototype. Somehow it ended with me pointing and saying "you're an engineer aren't you?" (I had my brother in law with me who is an engineer and I always joke him that engineers are jerks- and yes chad is indeed and engineer)

Point of the story- I can't wait for the boat show! Where I can spend the afternoon in a 70k supra drinking a beer with the product guys no questions asked!

PWI... have a happy new year!!!

Ian Brantford
01-01-2011, 01:53 AM
[...]Point of the story- I can't wait for the boat show! Where I can spend the afternoon in a 70k supra drinking a beer with the product guys no questions asked!

Good story!

I'll bet that the boat's interior is more amenable to being hosed down than the Durango's is. :-) This would be a contrast to my first truck, an early 1990's GMC Sonoma with work trim -- vinyl seats and rubber flooring. Now that's an interior that you can clean out in a hurry with a fire hose!

Suprahunter
01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Obviously Dodge is only interested in showing vehicles not selling them. What can you expect from Obama Motors? There are lots of other options out there I suggest you look elsewhere.

mmandley
01-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I would have said point blank if you dont want people around it then you should have roped it off LOL.

I go to the car show here each year as its only 2 weeks after the boat show, then i go to the home show, and what ever other show because it passes the time from Jan till March when its the start of boating season.

At the local car show though here in Portland you will generally see quite a few demo cars and test models and a lot of them you can get close and look and touch but they are always locked LOL.

skiyaker
01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Obviously Dodge is only interested in showing vehicles not selling them. What can you expect from Obama Motors? There are lots of other options out there I suggest you look elsewhere.

Obama motors- that's exactly what it seemed like. Ford, on the other hand, had plenty of cars you could see and touch- and the lincolns that you couldn't were up on a rotating platform roped off- then they has some hot chick in leather boots with an ipod that would come up and take your information "I'm sorry this vehicle is for display only, but you'll love it when you drive it. Let me get your information and I'll have your nearest dealer call you. If you want to drive one we'll give you a $50 prepaid visa card!"

I'm guessing "obama" motors will end up broke again.

sailing217
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Reminds me when the MDX came out and we had to schedule a test drive AND put down a deposit. I really laughed in their face and walked across the street to Lexus and was treated like a king. - Best selling point ever is to let my wife and I test it and talk ourselves, no saleman on test drives was their policy.

I look forward to having a brew with my dealer while sitting in a $100k 230 sante. Mind you no shoes, and nothing that stains. Last year you should have seen his face when a couple and their kids got in with lollipops. haha, need to make a bigger sign