PDA

View Full Version : New Mastercraft Pricing

mudaa
12-28-2010, 12:47 PM
I was looking at the prices for the new 2011 MC's. A few of the boats are exceeding the $100K price tag. Now called me old fashioned but isn't that an unresonable price for a ski boat? At that price point your competing now with high end off-shore cigarette boats, custom sail boats, and yacht's. After talking to the rep last year at the boat show he told me that I should be glad that they are producing these at these prices. According to there logic this is going to help all who own one keep their resale value up. So I guess the strategy of the company is to appeal to the Middle aged business owner who has teen age kids wanting to make them happy. Not sure how this strategy will pay out but should be an interesting case study in what not to do. For now I will stick with my 04 Outback LS that I bought off of craigslist....

11 Outback V
12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
I agree that pricing like that is way too much.
on another note what kind of "high end offshore boat" have you priced lately? a new cigarette will runn well into the 800,000 and other high end offshore boats run over 1 million.

sandm
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Not a new deal. Our boat show last year had a loaded up x15 with an msrp of $110,000..

Really, not a bad marketing concept with credit tightened up, upper income buyers have cash and might not need credit.

you da man
12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
A freshwater 26' Eliminator powerboat goes in the $300k+ and large Searay boats go over 1 million. A true yacht will be 8-10 million+ so seeing wake/ski boats is not surprising today. At a boatshow last year I saw a dealer giving you a Ford F250 with the purchase of an X-55

brain_rinse
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
A freshwater 26' Eliminator powerboat goes in the $300k+ and large Searay boats go over 1 million. A true yacht will be 8-10 million+ so seeing wake/ski boats is not surprising today. At a boatshow last year I saw a dealer giving you a Ford F250 with the purchase of an X-55
That's what I don't get. Just reduce the price of the boat by the cost of the truck.

maxpower220
12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
If you go to a MC or CC dealer after May, you will get several thousands off of MSRP. Or you could buy one of the many left over '10s or '09s still on the lot for even more savings. If I build a new boat and ask "1 million dollars" (Dr. Evil voice), that really doesn't do anything for resale values when I eventually sell it for $20K.

skiyaker
12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
If you go to a MC or CC dealer after May, you will get several thousands off of MSRP. Or you could buy one of the many left over '10s or '09s still on the lot for even more savings. If I build a new boat and ask "1 million dollars" (Dr. Evil voice), that really doesn't do anything for resale values when I eventually sell it for $20K.

it's the mentality of "what's the most anybody might possibly pay for the boat- then mark it up by another few % to make sure no money is left on the table"

It's at least a good way to make a 40K boat still qualify as a "price point boat"

KSmith
12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Question: How do you break an MC X-Star owners heart?

Answer: Tow him into the marina behind a Bayliner 175

Suprahunter
12-29-2010, 10:27 AM
MC has built a reputation for being over priced and over rated. Its too bad that being #1 in price doesn't mean you are #1 in customer service. If you look at the resale its clear spending more doesn't get you more. Now that they have Ilmor race engines I'm sure that will add to the price.

phospher
12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, that is nuts. I wouldn't spend that much money on a boat even if I had that kind of cash!

sailing217
12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I see MC's logic very flawed. OK to keep resale up IF you already are an owner and looking to upgrade. BUT, getting someone hooked on your product at a price-point is really what you want for decades down the road loyalty. They have no 'entry price-point boat'!

Malibu I think has a better direction. They still have their blinged 100k boats, but added Axis as their price-line at a cheap $40'sk *sarcasm*.

I own a Centurion and think they are starting to get a bit out of hand. Good news is my boat depreciation has leveled off. Proud to say never a boat payment, cried when I forked that large amout of cash.

maxpower220
12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
MC has built a reputation for being over priced and over rated. Its too bad that being #1 in price doesn't mean you are #1 in customer service. If you look at the resale its clear spending more doesn't get you more. Now that they have Ilmor race engines I'm sure that will add to the price.

Actually, MC is #1 in sales volume, not in price. You can go to your local CC dealer to see #1 in price. I like my Moomba and other than lack of R&D, I don't have anything bad to say about my boat. I have owned 2 MCs, and they were outstanding boats. Like my Moomba, zero problems. When I sold, the first I made $4500 (prostar 205) in less than 1 year, and the second I 'lost' $1900 after 7+ years of ownership. I just couldn't go from a $20K boat to a $50K boat in 2008 (or any time for that matter).

Suprahunter
12-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Actually, MC is #1 in sales volume, not in price. You can go to your local CC dealer to see #1 in price. I like my Moomba and other than lack of R&D, I don't have anything bad to say about my boat. I have owned 2 MCs, and they were outstanding boats. Like my Moomba, zero problems. When I sold, the first I made $4500 (prostar 205) in less than 1 year, and the second I 'lost' $1900 after 7+ years of ownership. I just couldn't go from a $20K boat to a $50K boat in 2008 (or any time for that matter).

I went to all the top dealers in 08 including CC and MC. I speak from personal experience when I say MC is the highest priced. They were much more competitively priced in past years. I was told MC is going for a 250k plus income buyer who thinks that if it cost more it has to be better. Being #1 in sales hurts the resale market with so many used ones for sale. The X15 I looked at in 08 dropped 20k in the first year. Even with that Cash Rewards scam it was still over priced. MCs are a very well made boat but The other brands are also well built . When it comes down to it you can buy 2 nicely equipped Moombs for the same price as a loaded down MC.

bzubke1
12-30-2010, 12:24 AM
I wonder what the msrp on an x-star was in 2003 compared to what it is in 2011 considering it is basically the same boat.

I don't know why correct craft stopped selling the original 210 hull. If they could offer that hull for under 50k I bet it would be their best seller.

New Guy
12-30-2010, 11:38 AM
03 X-Star msrp was $89 ish so they were still high then.

maxpower220
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I wonder what the msrp on an x-star was in 2003 compared to what it is in 2011 considering it is basically the same boat.

I don't know why correct craft stopped selling the original 210 hull. If they could offer that hull for under 50k I bet it would be their best seller.

In 2002, I looked at a new MC 197 (just to see the cost difference to trade in my 99) it was $29K. A 2011 197 is just over $50K, pretty much the same boat. Consider a new 1995 MC 190 was about $20K, their prices have increased disproportionately to the cost of materials, the economy,and R&D.

jamie_abb
12-31-2010, 09:32 AM
It ain't what you are riding, its who and how!

sandm
12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
It ain't what you are riding, its who and how!

true for some but not others. it's amazing how many 80k+ boats I see on our lake, loaded with 6-8 boards in tow, and throughout the entire day, you NEVER see anyone recreating behind them.. heck, watched one guy that was by himself in a sante230 with 5 boards spend all day going back and forth, never anyone with him and never skiing :)

zabooda
01-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Boats are priced way too high and it will be a matter of time before they are manufactured overseas where the labor rates are much lower and the raw products are cheaper. Something has to give with the pricing of boats and where the economy is going. The average Joe has learned the consequences of over indulgence in homes, boats and cars and carrying a lifetime mortgage with them.

sandm
01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I second that statement. spent some time in the bass pro shop in vegas over the holidays. they had some i/o ski boats in there, and looking at the price they wanted and the options/quality of work, it's all across the industry, not just wakeboats.
I understand that boats are not mass-produced like autos, but I really don't see $80k in materials/margins in a supra 242.

Suprahunter
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Its like anything low production and hand built. It cost more to produce add in computers and exclusive electronics and low sales numbers and there you go. I payed 23k for my 1989 Supra Sunsport with no tower,racks,fuel injection,ballast or perfect pass to name a few. It did come with a base radio and 4 speakers no amps or tower speakers. The list price back then was 32k. If you are patient and work your deal you can still get a fair market price.

zabooda
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I got my 1998 used in 2002 loaded (no ballast) for $17K with less than 200 hours and the resale value was higher than what I paid for it for seven years and that was mostly because of the jump in new boat prices.

kaneboats
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I was flipping channels the other day and saw Shipshape TV. They were outfitting some fishing boat with a new outboard and showing pricing. Over $20k for the outboard motor? Something's not right.

sandm
01-05-2011, 12:45 PM
boat parts/pricing in general are way out of whack.. go outfit a 25ft speedboat. you'll spend 30k to go from a mercury racing 525 to a 600sci. there are several shops around here that can build you a 900+hp blown bigblock for under 30k.

rdlangston13
02-24-2011, 05:21 PM
they had a "wake board" eddition tahoe at bass pro in dallas that had a tower, some tower speakers, a 5.0 v8 220 horse and some fancy LEDS and they were asking 38k. for a tahoe!!! insane!

sailing217
03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
boattest just did a review of I think a FourWinns 23ft I/O deckboat with tower for $68k. Quality was lacking compared to wakeboats imo. I'm still laughing at the price

rdlangston13
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
fourwinns is usually a more expensive one but 68k is a little ridiculous