PDA

View Full Version : air chairs and sky ski

lsvboombox
12-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Anybody have any input on which one to go with.....?

Was looking at the sky ski with the aluminum seat tower that has some flex.... just wondering if its worth the extra 600 bucks.. thx

Ian Brantford
12-26-2010, 05:13 PM
There are lots of details in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9819

mustangairchair
12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
there is only one ski and that is sky ski. they are day to night depends on your cash flow and what you want out of it. my chair is worth 6000 us. when you get up learn ti ride you will be hooked and trading the chair in for a better one. we were avid water skiers and now all we ride are sky skis. between the 5 people i ride with only one had a air chair and after riding the sky ski sold the air chair and got a b39 launch and loooooves it

lsvboombox
12-27-2010, 11:35 PM
thx.

shot you an email.

murraymoomba
01-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Get the sky ski!!! You will love it I gurantee it.
I have a friend that is a dealer if you need anything.

DOCDRS
01-02-2011, 11:16 PM
sky ski........and go all the way and get the launch39.....you never see them for sale and there is a reason for that!!!!!

murraymoomba
01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
You can also piece together a ski and save a little. I bought a used evo seat for around 400, looked brand new.

TL7
01-03-2011, 01:49 AM
To you guys who are now avid air chair-ers (not sure what the correct terminology is), how did you get into the sport? Friends? Rentals? And more specifically, does anyone know if I could rent one of these in the Houston area?

Txskyski
01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey TL7 - I ride a sky ski up on the Upper San Jac (Lake Houston) and the Trinity River up near Huntsville. You can tag along sometime if you want to try it out. I plan on getting back out on the water in March/April as soon as it warms up. PM me sometime.

murraymoomba
01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Not sure about renting one. The best thing to do is find someone who rides and go with them for instructions

Ian Brantford
01-04-2011, 12:19 AM
You are most likely to find other "foilers" nearby at http://www.foilforum.com .

Check out this video for motivation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGqdZNdb_o

yearround
01-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Not sure about renting one. The best thing to do is find someone who rides and go with them for instructions

You are most likely to find other "foilers" nearby at http://www.foilforum.com .

i second the above. i started flying when a friend of a friend came for a ride with us. then i shot this video with my camera a couple years ago. he pretty much flew over our bow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0CaWdJzz8

i see the guy often and i won't hesitate to ask to drop my boat and go for a ride, and he will give a ride to about any one who asks.

for renting, we have a couple shops that will do the demo program where they give you some credit toward purchase, but i can usually find them cheaper online.

lsvboombox
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Get the sky ski!!! You will love it I gurantee it.
I have a friend that is a dealer if you need anything.

Thx. Contacted your friend..

Next question I have:

I am buying the launch 39,

should I buy the launch39 w/ rock tower and the skyski mount for the tower?

or should I scrap the tower mount and get the evo tower?

I live on the lake so i guess I dont really need to tote the skyski around. I could make a pitstop, pick up and drop it off...

any input?

i dont have enough for the evo tower and the rack..

sandm
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Ian,
that vid was sick... amazing skills...

murraymoomba
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I would get the evo tower. I started with a rock tower and it is not very forgiving. I rode my friends evo and had to have one. Then I pieced together a ski for my wife and she could not jump without it hurting her, needless to say we do not have the rock tower anymore.
We have two racks on our boat which is nice, but they are expensive. Get the evo and get the rack later. IMO

Thx. Contacted your friend..

Next question I have:

I am buying the launch 39,

should I buy the launch39 w/ rock tower and the skyski mount for the tower?

or should I scrap the tower mount and get the evo tower?

I live on the lake so i guess I dont really need to tote the skyski around. I could make a pitstop, pick up and drop it off...

any input?

i dont have enough for the evo tower and the rack..

DOCDRS
01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I would get the evo tower. I started with a rock tower and it is not very forgiving. I rode my friends evo and had to have one. Then I pieced together a ski for my wife and she could not jump without it hurting her, needless to say we do not have the rock tower anymore.
We have two racks on our boat which is nice, but they are expensive. Get the evo and get the rack later. IMO

I totally agree, the evo tower and the rack later........ I got the rack right afetr i got the ski as I said to myself....... self! where the heck are you going to put that thing till your out in deep enough water.......unfortunately , the water is only 4 feet deep at the end of my dock......barely enough depth for a off the boat house flying deep water barefoot start let alone a skyski start

murraymoomba
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
You can lay the ski on the sun pad with the wings toward the front of the boat. It will ride there all day. Just be sure to keep the cover on it, you don't want to cut your seats!!!

Ian Brantford
01-06-2011, 02:29 AM
DOCDRS' comment about depth reminded me to say that hydrofoils are only for water where it's reliably at least 8 feet deep. Much deeper is preferable, for safety. Catching the foil on the bottom is a Very Bad Thing.

Hydrofoiljunky
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
DOCDRS' comment about depth reminded me to say that hydrofoils are only for water where it's reliably at least 8 feet deep. Much deeper is preferable, for safety. Catching the foil on the bottom is a Very Bad Thing.

I Completely agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N19WS_2PRpQ
Watch as this person instantly vanishes before your very eyes. :-)

sandm
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
so, watching that person crash, you are strapped into a "chair" basically. when you crash, do you come out of it or is it part of you?

I only say this as I remember my first experience wakeboarding, having not been in the water in 20 years. I fell 3 times without getting up. the 3rd time, fell face-first, and that feeling of not knowing how to flip over was not comfortable. lots to be said about strapping on a board and learning how to flip before learning to ride. these chairs the same way?

Ian Brantford
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
You are strapped to the chair at the hip and at the feet. You cannot count on getting out of it quickly. Apparently the early development of hydrofoils did not include being strapped in, and one of the developers has a big scar on his arm due to being at the wrong end of a large, heavy device with a blade on the end. Thus, the straps stay in effect during a crash.

Crashes with a hydrofoil are different. While it's easier to get extra height and occasionally it can come down on top of you (exerting extra force, so helmet and neck roll are very important), most crashes involve the ski taking a large part of the impact for you.

So, sudden smacks like a wakeboarding face plant are rare. Having the extra height, you have a moment to ponder your fate as you screw up.

sandm
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
so with the weight of the foil below you, am I to assume that unlike the wakeboard position in the water(sideways vs lenthwise when riding) the chair stays somewhat upright as the foil acts like a buoy? similar to a kneeboard start?

I've been very intrigued with them since first seeing them, but don't want to seem like a moron if I ever find someone to share a ride. they are rare around here and I have not seen anything that would indicate peeps are offering up rides, but I'd love to try one given the chance :)

Ian Brantford
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
so with the weight of the foil below you, am I to assume that unlike the wakeboard position in the water(sideways vs lenthwise when riding) the chair stays somewhat upright as the foil acts like a buoy? similar to a kneeboard start?

The foil itself is metal and sinks, while the ski floats. The entire device (barely) floats upright and tilted with the tip up. You start in a recliner-chair position. When the boat pulls, you haul back and keep the tip of the ski just out of the water. As you come up, you lean forward. A beginner should lean ALL THE WAY forward with knees to chest and arms outstretched (the Superman pose). This keeps the ski down on the water while the rider learns to steer.

Most beginners are initially in denial about leaning all the way forward. Instead, they instinctively have their weight too far back, leading to many hilarious unintentional backflips and crashes. Don't worry; the boat usually isn't going fast enough to give significant height in these cases. The biggest danger is that laughing observers in the boat will lose bladder control. Also, the camera operator must be forewarned to hold it steady despite intense distraction. Ditto for the boat operator.

Beginners can start at very low speeds (10 or 11 MPH), so a crash isn't a significant hazard. The boat take-off should be quite gentle -- this activity can be done behind a small fishing boat. After the start, riding the foil offers very little resistance. An adult can cruise while holding on with one or two fingers.

After learning some left-right balance and steering, the beginner can then experiment with forward/back balance and briefly lifting the ski out of the water and letting the foil give lift. It's essentially a flying sensation when cruising like this.

I've been very intrigued with them since first seeing them, but don't want to seem like a moron if I ever find someone to share a ride.

I am sorry, but starting out on a hydrofoil is not an activity that should be attempted by anyone with a sense of pride or shame. My buddy and I are prematurely bald, so there was no problem for us. We also tow tubes with a wakeboarding boat -- no decorum whatsoever.

they are rare around here and I have not seen anything that would indicate peeps are offering up rides, but I'd love to try one given the chance :)

Approach while they are stopped. If there is anything that ticks us off, it's the looky-loos who get too close while towing a rider! I've seen them get within 50' and stick to us.

DOCDRS
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
The foil will automatically right itself when you are strapped in. It is very difficult to get head down when strapped in. Beginner wipe outs are very observer humourous with most being sudden faceplants but occur at only about 12-15 mph. Later on there may be an occasional TMJ compression, again good laughs for the boat crew. Although I don't go looking for beginners on the water , I have picked up the odd newbie who has tried to flag me down from their dock

dusty2221
01-07-2011, 12:41 AM
My intrest is peaked now more than ever

lsvboombox
01-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Is the rear fling wing a must? Or is the stock wing sufficient??m

murraymoomba
01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I have not rode either but everyone says the stock rear wing is crap. I'm sure the fling is better it has no winglets. I started out with winglets and quickly moved on, the winglets creat a little drag but are more stable for beginners. imo
What front wing are you getting?

Is the rear fling wing a must? Or is the stock wing sufficient??m

lsvboombox
01-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I have not rode either but everyone says the stock rear wing is crap. I'm sure the fling is better it has no winglets. I started out with winglets and quickly moved on, the winglets creat a little drag but are more stable for beginners. imo
What front wing are you getting?

Not sure about front wing.. any suggestions? should I stay away from a certain one?

DOCDRS
01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I have the front max air and the rear bat with downward winglets. I like it but once in a while ,2 times last year I experienced suck down ...... Where th ski gets sucked down onto the water......really odd experience........ Its like a big squid has a hold of the wings and won't let you off the water. Crashed first time , second time held position and jump jerked the ski to ride it away.
I would still get the same setup, but I'm a newbie still

murraymoomba
01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
The max air and the fling kinda go together. I know alot of people riding that setup.
I'm riding a le 38 and xxx front and ufo rear. My wings are made by N2orbit.

Not sure about front wing.. any suggestions? should I stay away from a certain one?

murraymoomba
01-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Everyone will experience suck down every now and then, a leaf or anything that gets caught on the t-bar will do that. Somtimes if you can get to the prop wash it will come off.

I have the front max air and the rear bat with downward winglets. I like it but once in a while ,2 times last year I experienced suck down ...... Where th ski gets sucked down onto the water......really odd experience........ Its like a big squid has a hold of the wings and won't let you off the water. Crashed first time , second time held position and jump jerked the ski to ride it away.
I would still get the same setup, but I'm a newbie still

Ian Brantford
01-08-2011, 11:17 PM
[...]I like it but once in a while ,2 times last year I experienced suck down ...... Where th ski gets sucked down onto the water[...]

That can happen if you get an air bubble under a wing. It loses all lift. Riding around in the prop wash (tilting side to side) is pretty good for freeing that up. Alternatively, haul back and do a straight jump (kind of hard to do a flip here).

lsvboombox
01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
The max air and the fling kinda go together. I know alot of people riding that setup.
I'm riding a le 38 and xxx front and ufo rear. My wings are made by N2orbit.

OK,

pulled the trigger.. It is the max air front... The setup is basically the Le version except it has the B39 tbar(to save major coin)

murraymoomba
01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Thats great, you will love it. If I can help with anything let me know.

OK,

pulled the trigger.. It is the max air front... The setup is basically the Le version except it has the B39 tbar(to save major coin)

lsvboombox
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Thats great, you will love it. If I can help with anything let me know.

Once the ice thaws I will shoot you an email for some online lessons.... Thx

lsvboombox
01-20-2011, 09:38 AM
So I got the launch from East Coast Hyrdofoils and the thing is insane....... unfortunately is 25 degrees and frozen here...... :(

Should I be buying that G10 plate to beef up where the evo connects to the board?

Hydrofoiljunky
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
So I got the launch from East Coast Hyrdofoils and the thing is insane....... unfortunately is 25 degrees and frozen here...... :(

Should I be buying that G10 plate to beef up where the evo connects to the board?

Setup in your living room it sure is an awesome thing to just sit and look at. I don't know about you but when I received mine I was wondering how in the hell am I gonna ride this thing? LOL

In answer to your question, I would sure get the plate eventually. Anything to strengthen the area around that seat is gonna help ya spread the load of impact on your board. When you start going huge this spring/summer :-) you will be glad it's there. Seems like this is where ppl are cracking there boards, but then again the ppl that are doing this are going HUGE and I wouldn't be surprised if the individuals weight plays a role, and their landings? Anyway, IMO it's worth the $55 bucks.

I bought my foil from the same guy ECH. Good guy. You may also try here, these guys are a pretty good bunch of fellas as well. http://foil-n.com/products.asp?cat=27 Good luck on your new venture.

wolfeman131
01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
....... unfortunately is 25 degrees and frozen here......

send it down South & we'll try it out and let you know :)

you'll have it back before it's all thawed out up there.

lsvboombox
01-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Setup in your living room it sure is an awesome thing to just sit and look at. I don't know about you but when I received mine I was wondering how in the hell am I gonna ride this thing? LOL

Lol.. yes it seems like such a huge contraption to be strapped to you.. Hopefully I will be one with it soon.... And I do plan on launching myself as high as possible so I will get the plate thanks.... thanks for the site also...

lsvboombox
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
send it down South & we'll try it out and let you know :)

you'll have it back before it's all thawed out up there.

lol... I may have to ship myself and the ski....

laying down sideways on the rug strapped to the ski is getting boring.....:eek:

Roachman
01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
As another poster mentioned ....go to http://www.foilforum.com/forums/forum.php for a wealth of knowledge and video tutorial.

murraymoomba
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Did you get the new board (flat bottom)? If so it should not break as easy......

lsvboombox
01-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Did you get the new board (flat bottom)? If so it should not break as easy......

Not Sure it is the LE lightweight board. I had emailed brad he said the 2010 boards dont need it.. Maybe that means I got the flatbottom..

murraymoomba
01-22-2011, 11:14 PM
2010 board means flat bottom. I've got one and it is holding up good, cracked two old boards myself

Not Sure it is the LE lightweight board. I had emailed brad he said the 2010 boards dont need it.. Maybe that means I got the flatbottom..