PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Moomba? R/C Boat

bergermaister
12-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm done Christmas shopping but my son's 8th birthday is coming right up February and I know he's dying for an R/C boat which Santa is not bringing. I had a twin electric engine MRP Outrageous flat bottom R/C drag boat when I was growing up that is still floating around in storage somewhere but for now I'd like to start him out with a simpler boat.

I've seen a remote control Malibu Wakesetter RC boat before. In fact a buddy of mine has one sitting above his desk at work that looks almost identical to his actual boat.

Has anyone seen a little Remote Control Moomba out there anywhere? I haven't even begun to look....

sandm
12-21-2010, 07:21 PM
saw the same 'bu boat at walmart the other day. that's the only place i've ever seen them, and have not seen any other brands. just guessing, but maybe a basic r/c boat from a hobby shop and paint it just like yours? prob. a few $$ more(maybe the $100 range), but the makings of a great father/son experience building/painting and in the end, a much higher quality of boat that should net some resale if the interest wanes(especially on these boards to sell :) )

lsvboombox
12-21-2010, 11:11 PM
i've seen air nautique, malibu and a ar230.... havent seen moomba yet...

moombadaze
12-22-2010, 08:18 AM
^^^ same here

my daughter has a SeaDoo jet boat that she plays with in the pool

you da man
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a buddy that has a replica Miss Budweiser hydro that uses nitro. That thing is sick and over 3ft long. I've also only seen the 'Bu and SAN

zegm
12-22-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm done Christmas shopping but my son's 8th birthday is coming right up February and I know he's dying for an R/C boat which Santa is not bringing. I had a twin electric engine MRP Outrageous flat bottom R/C drag boat when I was growing up that is still floating around in storage somewhere but for now I'd like to start him out with a simpler boat.

I've seen a remote control Malibu Wakesetter RC boat before. In fact a buddy of mine has one sitting above his desk at work that looks almost identical to his actual boat.

Has anyone seen a little Remote Control Moomba out there anywhere? I haven't even begun to look....

I doubt you will find the Moomba name on these boats. They have been coming out around Christmas time at Walmart for the last few years. After going through a few 35 to 50 dollar RC cars and boats I finally bought my son this one. http://www.traxxas.com/products/models/marine/3810blast It was around a 100 dollars but the thing will absolutly fly across the water. It is skill level one (entry level) and you will need a pond or lake to use it on. From this boat my son moved up to a Nitro powered boat. Oh before I forget, we use a kayak while running this thing as the problems with boats are if they get away you need some way to get them back. You could use it in a pool but it better be a BIG pool! The only assembly required is putting the decals on if I remember correctly. This is a "real" RC boat but entry level. You can get all the replacement parts from the company (we tore up the plastic props and ended up getting him a nice brass one, not sure if it was an Acme or OJ?) :)

PS Traxxis is a great company, he has since got a 3.3cc 4 wheel drive truck and he hasn't been able to tear it up after a year of use. And when he does all the Hobby shops (Tower Hobby) stock all the replacement parts.

rdlangston13
12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
PS Traxxis is a great company, he has since got a 3.3cc 4 wheel drive truck and he hasn't been able to tear it up after a year of use. And when he does all the Hobby shops (Tower Hobby) stock all the replacement parts.

I have Traxxas T-MAXX 3.3 and i found it very easy to tear up. 40+ mph into a brick mail box does the trick fairy quickly. i broke one of the frame rails and have, bent a shock, broke the engine mount, the screws that hold the bumper bracket on are always getting bent, my reverse no longer works, and i have gone through two bodies. but then again this is mainly due to how i run the poor truck!

zegm
12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I have Traxxas T-MAXX 3.3 and i found it very easy to tear up. 40+ mph into a brick mail box does the trick fairy quickly. i broke one of the frame rails and have, bent a shock, broke the engine mount, the screws that hold the bumper bracket on are always getting bent, my reverse no longer works, and i have gone through two bodies. but then again this is mainly due to how i run the poor truck!

Well I think this says great stuff about Traxxis, she takes a lickin and keeps on ticking, well okay after some time in the RC Hospital! :)