PDA

View Full Version : First day of winter...

you da man
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
And it's 85 degrees here in Central Texas with 5 mph winds

newty
12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
The words "I Hate You" come to mind!;)

I seriously need to move south!

bzubke1
12-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Rode from 11-5 it was beautiful. Just rolled over three hundred hours today, 235 this season.

you da man
12-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Rode from 11-5 it was beautiful. Just rolled over three hundred hours today, 235 this season.

Wetsuit or drysuit? If wetsuit, which one?

bzubke1
12-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Wetsuit, it's a 4/3 O'neill Epic II.

kaneboats
12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
72 tomorrow but won't get out. Darn it!

jester
12-21-2010, 11:04 PM
You know I did not know you are all that evil. All I see is rain outside my window.

you da man
12-21-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm still waiting on my new rear axle or else I would have been out today as well. However, even though it's been over a year, Boatmate is covering it under warranty and it hopefully will ship this week according to the email i got yesterday.

moombadaze
12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
ydm--good to hear you'll be back to trailing soon.

Mid 70's today for us. Might try and get out on Jan 1st if the weather works

mmandley
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Wetsuit or drysuit? If wetsuit, which one?

Seriously? Man you southern guys dont now how good you got it LOL.

Give me 65 sun and water at 55+ and i will trunk it and get my boarding on.

75+ and i dont much care what the water temp is LOL.

Even last year when it was 90 the water was 72 and i was thinking the water is to dam warm LOL.

saskyrider
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
yep... you guys are seriously evil!!! teasing us northerners about that warm weather! We are supposed to see temps just below freezing for the xmas weekend so there will be lots of sledding at the inlaws... they have a big ravine about 1/2 a mile from their house and have lots of snow!! We have been pretty lucky so far that we haven't had an extended period where the temps get real ugly.... like -30 degrees C ugly then tack on the windchill! I had 3 buddies that i ride with just take a trip to florida to try out a cable park, and while i'm out shoveling snow (no joke) i get an email on my blackberry from my one buddy... it's a picture of him having a cold one with Shane Bonifay. ;)

cham
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Even last year when it was 90 the water was 72 and i was thinking the water is to dam warm LOL.

We have the opposite problem, too hot. We have to pay for pricey bimini's because like central A/C they just aren't an option.

Smaller lakes get bath water hot, I didn't have a temp guage but I'm almost certian we got 85* lake temps on Starke this year, nasty hot and everyone got eye/ear infections from the bacterial blooms that the hot water caused.

Nasty

mmandley
12-22-2010, 12:32 PM
We have the opposite problem, too hot. We have to pay for pricey bimini's because like central A/C they just aren't an option.

Smaller lakes get bath water hot, I didn't have a temp guage but I'm almost certian we got 85* lake temps on Starke this year, nasty hot and everyone got eye/ear infections from the bacterial blooms that the hot water caused.

Nasty

Yes exactly, we went to Yale this summer and the water was pretty infested with Algee. It was so bad when when we trailed i had to spray the boat down and wipe off the algee.

At our local Hagg lake its small and we call it the bathtube a lot LOL. That water got to 85 this year and yea it was bad, jump in and you dont even cool off lol.

As for Bimini most all of us up here have them also. I have the Z5 and love it. We had nothing for a few months the year we got the boat as the Z5 was on backorder and it was warm with out a Bimini but i like being able to get out of the direct sunlight.

you da man
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM

I'm not a "cool" water wuss but to us southerners "cold" is probably around mid 60's-70 with only trunks. Howver when 85+ water temps from July to early Oct is the norm, you can see how we get spoiled and girly about the water temps. I seriously have friends that drysuit it in the low 70's

mmandley
12-22-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm not a "cool" water wuss but to us southerners "cold" is probably around mid 60's-70 with only trunks. Howver when 85+ water temps from July to early Oct is the norm, you can see how we get spoiled and girly about the water temps. I seriously have friends that drysuit it in the low 70's

Trust me brother, i wasnt calling you a warm water puss, not intentionaly anyhow LOL.

I just wished we had those water temps at this time a year is more the place i was getting.

My ideal is mid 80 air and high 60s water temps, thats a perfect combo for cool and brisk jumping in to cool off and then your body adjusts to it in a couple minutes and makes for awesome ridding.

Sabe
12-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Be nice to go riding on the first day of winter, we got 2 foot of snow in the last two days. The mtn got 6 foot in the last two days. Gunna have to do my riding up there till May.

you da man
12-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Trust me brother, i wasnt calling you a warm water puss, not intentionaly anyhow LOL.

I just wished we had those water temps at this time a year is more the place i was getting.

My ideal is mid 80 air and high 60s water temps, thats a perfect combo for cool and brisk jumping in to cool off and then your body adjusts to it in a couple minutes and makes for awesome ridding.

No offense taken, we are spoiled down here. My ideal conditions are, air 85-90, water 85+

rdlangston13
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I prefer a good 95-100 degree air temp with the water right around 85. that is perfect.

72 degree water is cold, anything that starts with a 6 is stupid cold

KSmith
12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I've skied in everything from snow melt/glacier fed to bathtub like lakes and rivers.

While I now prefer not to jump into water where one risks hypothermia, I also dislike the overly warm water. As someone mentioned earlier you can jump in and not get cooled off... that's just not right IMHO

Last year I had to dive down to the bottom of the lake where my ears started hurting to find cool refreshing water... but by the time I surfaced I was hot again... it just ain't right I tell ya...

The Idaho solution was cowboy it off the dock and don't wipe out :cool:

you da man
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Every couple/few years down here in Texas the lakes can get so hot that some of the uncommon parts of the lake (where the water sits still) can be suceptible to a bacteria or virus that can enter the human body's bloodstream through nasal passages or throat and cause bacterial meningitis which can lead to death in kids and young adults.

kaneboats
12-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I guess ideal for me is about 92/80. In IL a few years ago I would have killed for 82/75 but we only got a few days a year like that.

moombadaze
12-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Last year we vacationed at Lake Sinclair and the water was warm to say the least, one day we took a ride uplake and went for a swim that was below the next damm in the chain and the water there was cool and refreshing as it was the water from the next lake upstream but was comeing from the deepest part of that lake.---that make any sense?

bzubke1
12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Every couple/few years down here in Texas the lakes can get so hot that some of the uncommon parts of the lake (where the water sits still) can be suceptible to a bacteria or virus that can enter the human body's bloodstream through nasal passages or throat and cause bacterial meningitis which can lead to death in kids and young adults.

The acronym for it is PAM, not sure what it stands for exactly. Anytime I get water up my nose when the water is warm I blow my nose as hard as I can not sure if it helps or not but it can't hurt.

Sometimes the water gets so warm here that you fall and its actually warmer then when you were riding. It sucks!

skylar18
12-28-2010, 10:30 PM
That bacteria is scary. We had a 13 year old kid who fell wakeboarding last year die from it. By the time doctors figured out what was wrong with the kid it was to late. Almost 100 percent fatality rate.

Harp on my kids if at all posible to try to never let water go up their nose when the water gets over 82 degrees. Of course that is easier said then done when they bite one when wakeboarding or surfing.