PDA

View Full Version : oil filter rip off

moombadaze
12-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Ok, so about 4-5 months ago Im buying my oil filter and oil to change in the truck-figure to myself why not get a second filter at the same time. So this past weekend I grap that oil filter box and go to open it up after allready draining the oil and low and behold its not the brand that the box was. It was a ok brand and it fit so Im using it. Not sure what I would have done if it didnt fit as I had no way to get to the store at that point and get the correct one.

Moral of the story-open the box and make sure some jackass didnt switch it with different brand so you get what you need.

KSmith
12-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I have no tolerance or sympathy for low lifes that would do a thing like that...

You are lucky it fit!

Long long ago, I grabbed some oil and a filter to an old Mustang Mach I I had and went out to an old abandoned gas stataion about 10 miles outside of town. It had a pit so it was a cool place to work on your car as long as you didn't need electricty or anything. Long story short, I grabbed the wrong filter which did not fit but didn't know it until the old filter was off and destroyed (it wouldn't come off so I had to use the stab it with a screwdriver and twist method)... so there I am, no oil in the car, no filter to fit it and 10 miles out in the boonies... Oh well, I was young then and the walk didn't hurt me any ;-)

Suprahunter
12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
There are only a few manufacturers of oil filters it is very likely it was misboxed at the factory.

kaneboats
12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I remember my old uncle opening the boxes all the time and looking at the filters. I do this too out of habit I guess, but never really stopped to think about why. Maybe I don't trust the book/chart. Good advice though.

moombadaze
12-21-2010, 08:39 PM
I remember my old uncle opening the boxes all the time and looking at the filters. I do this too out of habit I guess, but never really stopped to think about why. Maybe I don't trust the book/chart. Good advice though.

funny thing is I do remember opening one box up and looking at it, guess I just didnt do the other box.

cham
12-26-2010, 10:14 AM
when I was doing my "Florida Winterizing" last week I noticed the oil filter and it made me chuckle.

My dealer is buying his oil filters from NAPA :)

Do you go down to Matercraft Of Orlando? I hear they do free oil changes there.