PDA

View Full Version : IBS Install Help Needed

Mobi1
12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Looking to do an IBS install this winter and looking for some advise. Attached a pic to help explain. I was thinking of running the center floor sac "now" fill hose directly to the IBS. And then the drain side IBS to the fill side of center floor sac. Then to take empty side floor sac to drain both. Would this work?? Was told it could possibly drain floor sac by doing this way. Anybody done it like this?? Need any check valves or vented loops?

Newty, looking to hearing from ya on this....

Razzman
12-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Can't speak for other than there are loads of ballast install threads in the "MODS" section.

Mobi1
12-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah I know, but have not found one done like this...

brain_rinse
12-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Looks like it should work without any vented loops or check valves. You might want to drain from both legs if your bag has enough ports.

jester
12-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Do you have any sacs right now? Most of the time the drain for the the front bag is at the bow just infront of the driver. One thing that you should make sure of is that your center bag is lower then the bow bag. For the fill I would go with at least two pumps. One for the rear two bags and one for the front two bags. Hope this helps.

Mobi1
12-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah i have GIII rite now but will be putting 1100's in the rear. I have an 05 LSV and the drains are behind driver on either side. And yes the floor sac will be lower than IBS.

brain_rinse
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I think you should start researching ballast pump upgrades... :)

newty
12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Sounds like it may work.
Couple things though,

Both bags will either be full or empty.
Using gravity to drain the IBS through one 3/4" hose may be asking a lot, and if it does, it will take a while.
when ever you are under way your bags will likely drain because your drain is in the back.
Like Brainrinse said, 1 pump for 2500 + #'s is going to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

By filling the floor sack and overflowing to the IBS then adding a drain pump or pumps to the IBS, will make things infinately easier and can be had for less than $40.
Also you can vent the IBS which you will not be able to do with the configuration you have posted.
You will be way happier with that set-up. This way you can fill just the floor sac or both.
Thoughts?

Mobi1
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Thought about putting a ball valve on "my" IBS drain side before floor sac, that way I wouldn't have to fill floor and solve drain issue when underway. Yeah will be putting in extra pump, but just wanted sum ideas on my fill and drain idea. No check valves needed though?

newty
12-21-2010, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't think so but I'll bet you have problems with draining the system.

mmandley
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Having the IBS like yours the issue i have is it pops the front cusions and sometimes the cup holders.

Heres some factors i think about when looking at your proposed install.

1 If filles the front first which in turns lowers the nose but the center of the boat is actualy fighting the nose drop since its technicaly empty.

Filling the center will give you a faster drop in the nose level as its center of gravity is lower in the boat.

2 No check vavles on a system that drains to the back of the boat will never stay filled. it will always be draining as it drains to the lowest part of the boat and will drain on its own.

3 Filling from a leg on the IBS and then having the opposite leg Fill the center bag realy means when you want to fill the center bag to realy lower the boat you cant. Center bag is always going to be full of air. With no vent of any kind in the IBS and center locker bag the air will become traped and compress and take up usable water space.

4 the fill times will be slower filling it all up but at the same time thats an after effect because technicaly you will never get it all filled because several hundred lbs will be effected by air pressure in the bags.

What i would reccomend doing is this.

Run your center line off the manifold to the ski locker sack. If it doesnt have a 3rd line connect say in the top of the bag then spend the coin to get a new bag. 400lb bags arnt that expensive. If you still dont want to do that then i sugest getting a T connector and a valve and adding that at the manifold for the fill so you can switch the fill direction to the fornt bags.

From the center bag <or a T in the fill line> use it to fill the IBS next. You will get a lot better performance having the ski locker bag filled all the time then having only the IBS filled.

You fill the center bag off eighter leg you want. Is there a center plug on the IBS bag? I hope so because this is needed to Vent the bag.

You take the Center plug in the IBS and T it into the Drain leg on the IBS then check valve this line to the out side of the boat. I would put the drain in the front next to the ski locker bag. You can sill pipe it out to the rear of the boat if you like as it doesnt matter with the check valve as it will stop air or water comming back into the bag.

This is how mine is and its the exact way Newty drew it up for me. Works awesome. I drain my IBS off 1 pump off 1 leg and it drains all but a tiny bit, less then a gallon of water from the entire bag. With the vent no air gets in there when filling so it creats a vacume when draining and pulls the wayer off the other leg.

If you dont have a ski locker bag with 3 fill/drain points and or a IBS with less then 3 fill/drain points then setting it up will be different.

mmandley
12-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Mobi it wouldnt let me PM you the picture so here it is again.

you have a drawing of your install??

Not right now but i can try to make ya one a little later

ok.thanx

OK got it a nitty gritty redrawn done for you.

Blue line is incomming water from manifold, then as the ski locker bag fills it will over flow to the IBS. The stock drain pump off the center locker will hold the pressure to allow the IBS to fill with out a problem. It will drain a little but only while the fill pump is running.

Green is the drain off your ski locker, then you add the drain off the IBS.
Maroon is the vent line. This goes to the IBS drain line with the check valve. This will stop any water going down the drain when you drain the bags.

If you dont have a fill port on the ski locker you could also T the main incomming line to the ski locker back to the leg of the IBS to fill it. It will work the same way.

Mobi1
05-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Tried out the New Sacs this weekend (the way my sketch showed in my first post). They filled and emptied faster than I expected!!! Fill time was maybe 15 minutes!!

newty
05-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Good to hear. Glad it worked out.